It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 19:08

Text Size

Running a non-English version of M:TG

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Running a non-English version of M:TG

Postby JustJeff88 » 04 Nov 2020, 22:36

I will try to be brief as I am prone to blathering. Thanks to Magic 2010, Shandalar 2012 etc, I can play the English-language versions of the various flavours of the first Magic game quite well. However, I am trying to get a foreign-language version working for someone dear to me.

It took a lot of looking, but I found disc copies of all three discs: MTG, Spells and Duels in the target language. I have two computers, one using Win7 Ult64 and the other a non-ergonomic laptop running Win10. For lack of a better option, I installed the game(s) under the XP mode in Win7 in order (MTG, Spells, Duels), then Manalink 1.32 and a translation patch for same... and it worked!

But only mostly. The deck builder and duel mode work flawlessly so far with a bit of testing. However, Shandalar always crashes at the same spot. I've seen this error posted elsewhere, but once I choose new game it usually skips the difficulty level select and asks me to choose my primary colour. As soon as I do, I get the following error message (it's long):

File->D:\NewMagic\sources\sdlib.c Line->315 WM_CREATE CreateDIBSection

Then it shows the naming screen but the colours and text are scrambled and I can't edit anything. If I press Enter, the game crashes.

I would appreciate any help here. It's important to me to get this running for a special someone. I would love to copy language files into Shandalar 2012 since that runs so bloody well, but I don't know if that's possible or how to do it if it is.

Thanks in advance
JustJeff88

Return to Shandalar