It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:25

Text Size

Getting Shandalar to work on Windows 10

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Getting Shandalar to work on Windows 10

Postby Hadsingrinsen » 02 Dec 2020, 05:37

In order to get Shandalar working on Windows 10 I had to use the 2010 ISO, and then, in order to get the text to show, manually apply "no GDI batching" by following this guide: https://www.abandonwaredos.com/public/a ... nstall.pdf

As for Ciroth Ungol's Shandalar 2012, I am unable to get it working: the map loads, but then as soon as I run into any enemy, it freezes and the duel never loads.

Even though the game is pretty dead at the moment, I'd love for there to be a version that works on Windows 10 without extra work. It could be as simple as updating the "no GDI batching" fix in the former version. Is there anyone still around who can do that? (Yes, I am shamelessly asking for other people's labor, but not for me: I've got the 2010 one going just fine already.)

Relatedly, is there anyone still around who knows how to mod the game? I'd like to tweak a few things - not add cards or anything like that, but just change the mob generation rate, disable "accept tribute for your mercy," make sure you can't get a bonus Shivan Dragon in play, and so on. I'm willing to put in the time screwing with a hex editor to do that, but I don't know where to begin.
Hadsingrinsen

Re: Getting Shandalar to work on Windows 10

Postby colin8128 » 05 Jul 2021, 14:32

Check out the shandalar.ini files and possibly other .ini files. That's where the most straightforward modifications can be made. As for the more detailed adjustments you're describing, I believe it may be in the cards.dat or .csv files that such settings can be found, but I'm not sure myself.
colin8128

Re: Getting Shandalar to work on Windows 10

Postby Huggybaby » 04 Jun 2022, 14:53

I think hip63 incorporated all of Smiling Spectre's fixes in the installer.

Has anyone else verified the need for "no GDI batching"?

PS I ran into Smiling Spectre in a Discord the other month. It was quite a reunion. :-)

Also, make sure to reboot.

KNOWN AND VERY IMPORTANT ISSUES:
==================================
1.) - YOU MUST REBOOT AFTER INSTALLING AND BEFORE PLAYING for all the compatibility settings to take effect!!

2.) - Do NOT Install to a long folder path!

EXAMPLES:
"C:\Games\Shandalar2012" -GOOD!
"C:\Program Files\Shandalar2012" -GOOD!
"C:\Program Files\Magic TG Shandalar 2012" -BAD!

3.) - When Starting a new Shandalar Game, it is RECOMMENDED that you save your character's image before proceeding, or you may not have a character at all!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Return to Shandalar