It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:25

Text Size

Playing Shandalar with Old School rules

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Playing Shandalar with Old School rules

Postby StephenG84 » 03 Jun 2021, 09:26

Hello everyone, i have played countless times the Shandalar campaign and recently i wanted to play it once again so i just dusted off my hard disk with all the various Shandalar versions.
What i would want to do now is to play Shandalar with the same rules/expansions of the "real" Old School format, which simply means expansions up to The Dark.
I have Shandalar versions with all the new cards but i'm not interested in any of post-The Dark expansion, so i want to exclude them.
I know how to do that, i modified the Shandalar.ini file as indicated in there but:
- in one version it perfectly works but i have bugged cards (for example Fireball deals 1 damage less than the correct number; if you or oppo cast Armageddon nothing happen).
- in another version it doesn't work, i don't know why. Even if i put the correct lines in Shandalar.ini, i still have all the expansions in the game.

So, is there some saint here that would help me with this? If someone could explain me how to fix Fireball and Armageddon cards i would be perfectly fine with what i have (hoping that there aren't any other bugged cards).
Or maybe someone could explain me how to add new cards to "basic" Shandalar in order to have Legends and The Dark expansions? I don't need anything else, i don't want any other new cards, only these, because i want to play "Old School" in Shandalar.
Thank you very much in advance for any help you could give to me (and sorry if my English is not perfect).
StephenG84

Re: Playing Shandalar with Old School rules

Postby colin8128 » 05 Jul 2021, 14:29

Based on the very limited research I've done, the mechanics of individual cards are coded in the expansion.h files in the /src/ directory, so you may need to make modifications to the C code and re-compile. Probably not a trivial thing to fix. Fixing the code might be easy but figuring out how to recompile the binaries may not be.
colin8128

Return to Shandalar