It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 10:20

Text Size

2022 Youtube series

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

2022 Youtube series

Postby Island of Yiaros » 21 Apr 2022, 07:34

Hi all--long time player, first time poster.

I've always loved Shandalar, and I remember being blown away that some people had gotten together to implement 20,000 new cards. I'm quite happy to have a version that goes up to some Kaladesh, though of course I would go further if I knew how.

I consider myself reasonably knowledgeable about everything Shandalar--everything except for its AI, and the state of development.

I am making a YouTube series where I show people a couple options for how to approach the basic challenges of the game (assembling a first deck, tackling economy, succeeding in a dungeon, etc) and a few more advanced things (like changing settings, switching out enemy decklists, card duplication).

What I wanted to make sure with this community:
1) You are an AI community, right? That is, you don't want me to link you, because you don't want to be swarmed with Shandalar players uninterested in programming challenges.
2) Nobody will be mad if I help randos get copies of the game. I heard there was some drama at some point, but since I'm not sure the nature of it, I thought I would ask.
3) I don't want to play games on an old version and find out there's already newer versions of the game to play. I currently believe Manalink is much more advanced in its card implementation than Shandalar, whose development has stopped, but I could be wrong about any of this--again, that's why I'm asking.

Without any feedback, I'll assume sharing the game is cool, sharing this forum is kinda uncool, and there's no better version of the game than I have. I hope at least some of you will enjoy the series, when it's finished. Thanks in advance!
Island of Yiaros

Re: 2022 Youtube series

Postby Aswan jaguar » 22 Apr 2022, 06:58

Island of Yiaros wrote:2) Nobody will be mad if I help randos get copies of the game. I heard there was some drama at some point, but since I'm not sure the nature of it, I thought I would ask.
Still the developer, Korath doesn't want people to distribute his shandalar versions so no, please don't help people to get copies of the modded by Korath game. Unless of course Korath replies here and gives you permission to do so.
Island of Yiaros wrote:1) You are an AI community, right? That is, you don't want me to link you, because you don't want to be swarmed with Shandalar players uninterested in programming challenges.
We like to see new players but NOT for the modded game with the new cards as we can't help them and they would only be a nuisance.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Island of Yiaros » 25 Apr 2022, 09:01

I have about 6 version of Shandalar that run on this computer, some older, some newer. I have one version some people were saying was ProJared's one on stream, and some people also said that was a "forbidden version"--but I can't tell. How can I identify which of the many versions I have were this developer's work? Is there a clue in settings, or documentation, which makes it clear? Or, would people rather I simply not share anything unless I'm sure it's *not* this guy's mod?

Is there a time period in which he was active? If so, I could just only share things clearly created before or after that period.
Island of Yiaros

Postby Aswan jaguar » 25 Apr 2022, 11:16

Any version of Shandalar that includes cards not in the original Microprose shandalar has been released by korath or includes his work. No one else ever coded new cards for shandalar.
The shandalar as it is in the MTG ISO 2010 has only the original cards the same is true for Shandalar 2012 Revisited.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Shandalar