It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:04

Text Size

Restrict game to specific expansion sets?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Restrict game to specific expansion sets?

Postby altergermane » 15 Nov 2022, 21:50

Hello,

I used to play MtG way back during the 90s up until around the release of the Ice Age expansion and just remembered about this Shandalar game, so that's how I found this forum. I'm delighted to see that the game has been modded to include more cards and I was wondering if it's possible to restrict the game to use only cards from specific expansions? I would just love to play with all the old cards that I'm familiar with, i.e. everything chronologically from Arabian Nights through Revised Edition up to Ice Age.

Playing with all these modern cards and new abilities and rules feels just terribly overwhelming. I haven't been following Magic at all since around 1996/1997 and would just like to play the Shandalar game again with the old cards that I know...at least for the time being ;)

The version of the game that I have is the 2015 or 2016 mod I believe. Thanks for any help!
altergermane

Re: Restrict game to specific expansion sets?

Postby altergermane » 16 Nov 2022, 16:24

OK so I looked around a bit and I think I found exactly what I was looking for in the Shandalar.ini file under the [Sets] section. My [Sets] section looks like this now:

[Sets]
--Ice Age=enable
--=disable
It seems to work somewhat but there's still cards from other editions showing up in the game in enemy decks and I even have some in my own deck when starting a new game. Anything more I need to do to completely get rid of newer cards?

The game also crashed when I tried to enter a town...don't know if that's because of my changes or if the mod is just bugged like this?

Another question I have is, does the enemy AI actually know how to use all the cards added by the mod properly? Will AI opponents have decks that make sense or is it just random decks and the AI is casting all these cards more-or-less randomly without really knowing what it is doing?

Thanks for any help
altergermane

Return to Shandalar