It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 03:59

Text Size

Shandalar Difficulty Mod (Korath's Version)

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Shandalar Difficulty Mod (Korath's Version)

Postby Elerai » 22 Feb 2023, 14:40

Hello Everyone!

I made a random post a while back, where I discussed how I was building a difficulty mod to make OG Shandalar actually challenging. Well, for various reasons, that got discontinued, but recently; I've been twiddling with the Korath's version. It adds a lot of new tools for my mod, like changing the reserve list, preventing 30 Black Lotus 29 Timetwister 1 Lightning Bolt nonsense (its fun, but only the first few times); and changing dungeon starting cards (fuck off, Power Struggle).

While I got most of it done and ported; IRL stuff prevents me from completing the mod and post it in all its glory. Right now, all mono-colour decks are done, one dual-colour deck is incomplete (Fungus Master), a couple more might need tweaking; and only some of the multicolour Djinns and Dragons are done. Arzakon's deck is also not the final edition. Anyways, if anyone is still playing this game (has to be Korath's version too), here you go! You'd have to build actual decks now.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Installation Instructions:

Just copy paste the files and folders into the Korath Shandalar Folder, should be named '/Magic'. Overwrite. Make backups before, of course.

Features:

> Actually difficult decklists, with early opponents having bad cards and/or sub-par strategies, but still has an okay list, and their decks would probably be good by limited standards.

> Archmages are actually Archmages, capable of winning (or locking you out of the game) within the first couple turns (even turn 1, with a nut draw).

> Max copy of a card in deck is now 5 (60 card deck). So you're better off running a 40 card deck with 4 copy per card, this consistency is your main advantage over the AI (plus your skills).

> Restricted cards are now those that enable busted stuff. Fair Magic cards mostly remain unrestricted, so you can Fork Fireball all you want! Or Forcefield a Force of Nature, etc.

> Revamped starting bonuses, both Castles and Dungeons. Castle starting bonus is a card advantage source, appropriate to the colour (no Leviathan for blue now), Dungeon starting bonus are enchantments not available in Shandalar, that give a color appropriate advantage (stronger effects are double-edged, like the Blue Well of Ideas or Red Furnace of Rath).

> New cards! Sets are upto The Dark; but a lot of the stuff from the sets are disabled, to preserve the gameplay of OG Shandalar. Multicolor Legends are the most prominent addition, except you can only get them through random chance in Lairs. Major cards that are disabled (despite being in the Sets) are Multicolor non-legends, World Enchants, Legendary Lands (straight upgrade over a Basic), weird stuff like Golgothian Sylex or Chaos Orb, and almost all cards that would be staples like Chain Lightning, Preacher etc. Other disables are mostly for flavor, since they'd not get played normally, except if they existed, I'd have to consider them when building my decks, and that felt like too much work.
Elerai

Return to Shandalar