It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:47

Text Size

Help editing enemy Decks

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Help editing enemy Decks

Postby Seigebrisbane » 23 Aug 2023, 21:15

I noticed theres a complete overhaul for the enemy decks here which I do want to try sometime but not just yet.

I have noticed the A.I is terrible with some cards, e.g Giant Growth, often buffing MY creatures, so rather than expect a fix for the a.i I'd simply like to remove those cards from the enemies decks and give them something they dont mess up so bad with.

That being said the post suggests opening up the deck folder and edditing the files in notepad??? each card being represented with a numerical value?

My question is am I able to open up the deck editor outside of shandalar the standalone program, and edit the enemy decks there, and it reflect ingame. my only concern there is that editor has more cards in it than shandalar, e.g gold cards ect , and I dont want to crash/break the game.

Any suggestions on how I should go about this? again I just want simple minor changes to the enemy decks. Thanks

also one other concern is when loading the decks there seem to be MANY more than just the enemy decks in shandalar see picture for reference. making it much harder to know which ones to tinker with, obviously Goblin Lord ect could be easier to pick out but some are ..odd.

edit (cant post picture due to being a new user) but list goes something like

Elves
Elves are nice
Elvish Magi
Emerald Blur
Enchantress
Esper Weenie

ect. from what I can tell only 2 of those are enemy decks

VERSION : Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

TLDR:: Can I edit ENEMY decks in the deck editor using the GUI and it reflect in-game rather than editing the .dck file in notepad and having to scour the all over for card numbers. The only thing I cant seem to be able to adjust in the deck editor is the sideboards for vblack vred vwhite ect,
Seigebrisbane

Re: Help editing enemy Decks

Postby Aswan jaguar » 24 Aug 2023, 12:35

Seigebrisbane wrote:I have noticed the A.I is terrible with some cards, e.g Giant Growth, often buffing MY creatures,
Although AI misuses Giant Growth and other cards at times it does so less if you play at top difficulty, so play on that one.
Seigebrisbane wrote:is when loading the decks there seem to be MANY more than just the enemy decks in shandalar see picture for reference. making it much harder to know which ones to tinker with,
The deck editor loads decks from playdeck file where all non-AI-shandalar decks from all game modes (duel, gauntlet, (maybe even sealed I don't remember if that is possible) )are saved. The AI-shandalar decks are on file called decks. You can put all decks from playdeck file to another file (so you can put them back if you want to play (duel or gauntlet) or delete them if you are only interested in shandalar (the adventure mode) and then copy the decks from decks folder, shandalar ones to playdeck folder and edit them with the deck editor and then copy/paste/overwrite the decks you have edited from playdeck folder to the decks folder. And AI will use the edited decks.

Seigebrisbane wrote:each card being represented with a numerical value?
The numbers that represent each card are easy to find if you open Manalink.csv the first column says ID and next column is the name of the card and is what you want.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Seigebrisbane » 24 Aug 2023, 17:40

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll go ahead and make those changes and then attempt some edits! I'm playing on the 2nd to last difficulty and still seeing some odd things like the a.i casting firebreathing on my creatures. I don't expect it to be perfect its an old game thats always had bugs but it def doesnt feel good to win a match after the enemy loses the trade on its own by giant growthing my creature :P

Last question is if Im using the GUI deck editor to edit the a.i decks and save the file there, will it erase the conditions for sideboarding vnone, vblue, ect or leave them in unchanged? If it erases them I guess I can manually add them all back

(edit) oh and one last thing, do you know what will happen if I add in a gold card or a card thats not in the base game of shandalar? will it straight crash the game or? Im using microposes 2010 install, im not using koranths with the 10000000 cards, but I did notice the deck editor still has MORE cards than shandalar including the gold ones. and in-game while playing the RPG shandlar there actually is a button to filter out gold cards which got me wondering
Seigebrisbane

Postby Aswan jaguar » 25 Aug 2023, 04:49

Seigebrisbane wrote:Last question is if Im using the GUI deck editor to edit the a.i decks and save the file there, will it erase the conditions for sideboarding vnone, vblue, ect or leave them in unchanged? If it erases them I guess I can manually add them all back
I think it will probably erase them, I am not sure you have to test it yourself.
Seigebrisbane wrote: if I add in a gold card or a card thats not in the base game of shandalar? will it straight crash the game
It will crash.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Shandalar