It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:56

Text Size

Shandalar Question

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Shandalar Question

Postby Thesaguy » 07 Oct 2010, 21:13

I recently found your form and must say I can’t believe how much I’m enjoying playing this game again.

I had a question on “Shandalar.exe”, not "Magic.exe".

I downloaded and am playing the “Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO”. I also downloaded ManaLink 2.0 and was playing with that. Both worked without any problems.

Is there a difference between the two? Does ManaLink add any new card to the Shandalar.exe game?

Any updates for Shandalar.exe needed, (I know there are for Magic.exe, but was wondering if anything is out there for Shandalar.

I found a couple posts on increasing the card limit, but can’t find any real files/updates.

Thanks.
Thesaguy

Re: Shandalar Question

Postby Cognis » 07 Oct 2010, 23:47

As far as I know, magic ISO doesn't update but magic.exe updates because of magnificent work Jatill offers, he knows he rules but stroking his ego doesn't hurt :D
Cognis
Tester

Postby CirothUngol » 08 Oct 2010, 00:03

Welcome to the Forums!

Quoth Thesaguy:
I downloaded and am playing the “Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO”. I also downloaded ManaLink 2.0 and was playing with that. Both worked without any problems.
Is there a difference between the two?
Since you're a new user, I'm fighting the urge to jest. ^_^
The 2010 ISO is essentially an "Uber" version of the game you played back in the 90's. The only real addition is cards... and lots of 'em. Over 700 cards have been added to the 2010 ISO. Even more have been added to recent updates.

647 Cards in Original MicroProse MtG
950 Cards in Mok's Manalink 2.0
1384 Cards in MtG 2010 ISO
2345 Cards in Manalink 01/09/2010

The January 9, 2010 is the last update I have a firm count for. As for the difference between the two, newer updates also include:

SPAT
Momir Basic
Draft Tournaments
Vanguard Play
Challenge Mode
Elder Dragon Highlander
New Graphics/Backgrounds
...and other Great Stuff I can't think of.

But in regards to Shanadalar... sadly the answer is no. Shandalar.exe never received the same treatment as Magic.exe and still awaits a talented, savvy and brilliant (not to mention crazy) Assembly Programmer to decode and infiltrate the executable, as no source code exists for the game. In fact, the newer versions of Manalink don't even come with Shandalar as it has been thoroughly broken by the newer modifications. There does exist a Shandalar mod by Tapani, but its intended to fix problems in Shandalar, not add a bunch of new cards. There is also a Shandalar Deck Injector by RyanfaeScotland if cheatin' is more yer thing. To play Shandalar, you should either use the 2010 ISO or the Original HomeOfTheUnderdogs release, and the aforementioned should work fine with either of those. If you search around, you'll see lots of discussion on the Shandalar topic (and the HardWired 2000 card limit in Magic.exe), but all progress is stymied. If you'd like to know more about Manalink's history, check out This Thread by JATill (lead programmer), very enlightening.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Thesaguy » 08 Oct 2010, 15:35

Thanks for the info CirothUngol!

I hope someone someday updates Shandalar :)
Thesaguy

Postby CirothUngol » 09 Oct 2010, 23:59

So do we, man. So do we.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Return to Shandalar