It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:54

Text Size

Hello and some basic deck building questions

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Hello and some basic deck building questions

Postby HornofAmmon » 10 Mar 2011, 19:32

Hey all. First, just want to say, once again I'm amazed at how for every ancient game, there is always a forum somewhere on the Internet with people who still play it. So I'm glad I found you!

I discovered Shandalar a few years ago and have played it through a few times, but I really know almost nothing about Magic as a game in general (haven't played it since the 90's). I got some basic questions about making decks and such that maybe some of you can give your opinions on.

1) I've made decks of all colors in my run-throughs, and out of them I've found two decks to be much better than the rest: a white creature deck full of Serra Angel, Blessing, Spirit Link, etc., and a blue counter deck with air units. Now I'm sure there are other more interesting decks that can be made with the cards available, but I haven't made any that are as effective.

Any suggestions for strong other decks I can make, especially multi-colored ones? One thing, I prefer to not use banned or restricted cards, so are there still some interesting combos without them?

2) Since there's the handy Stats option in Shandalar, I'm curious what some reasonable stats are for various decks. Like for % land - not counting moxes and other mana sources, I'm preferring about 40% or a bit higher for two-colored decks, and maybe 37%-39% for monocolor. In a creature-based deck, I try to get close to 40% creatures, though it's usually a few points lower by the end game; in other types of decks, I'm finding I need at least 30% creatures to survive. How do these numbers sound?

OK, thanks for reading, good to have found you guys!
HornofAmmon

Re: Hello and some basic deck building questions

Postby Professor » 03 Apr 2011, 18:02

Welcome aboard!

I generally make up cheap speedy decks in whatever color I'm in. They work great, especially when you have a life advantage later on.

The only "combo deck" I build is a Channel/Fireball deck with Taigas, Kird Apes, Bolts, etc. It beats everyone but the dungeons and Arzakon, so have an alternate ready for those.

Hope it helps!
-------------------------------------
PostCount=PostCount+1
Professor

Re: Hello and some basic deck building questions

Postby podbelski » 05 May 2011, 16:17

Hey what's up,

if you are still waiting for replies confirm it pls, I can give you a few ideas of decks you can build in Shandalar. Also, check my new "deckpack" thread, some of those decks might give you a good insight.
podbelski

Return to Shandalar