It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:06

Text Size

Which edition is in the ISO?

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Which edition is in the ISO?

Postby doenerchef » 11 Dec 2011, 16:04

Hi lads,

I really enjoy playing Shandalar and wasted a ton of precious time on it lately. I am aware, that you've been putting most your time into improving the other modules of Microprose's M:TG, however. But Shandalar is the only part of the ISO I'm really interested in, simply because I don't see the challenge/satisfaction of playing duels with decks I can put together from an endless supply of cards.

Anyway, my question is based on the information I found on the wikipedia article on the game. There it says, that SotA adds the Arabian Nights and Antiquities editions and DotP adds Legends and the Dark. Now I looked up the card list of "the Dark" http://www.wizards.com/magic/generic/cardlists/The_Dark_Checklist.txt and realised that hardly any of those cards appears in the Shandalar game from your ISO. I then checked the sticky installer thread to make sure, and it says it IS the DotP edition... so... where are those cards? (e.g. Eater of the Dead, Frankenstein's Monster, Grave Robbers, Goblin Shrine, Orc General, etc. pp.)

In case this post makes me sound dissatisfied: I am not, I love what you have done for us!
doenerchef

Re: Which edition is in the ISO?

Postby doenerchef » 05 Jan 2012, 19:23

Whose toes did I step on with this thread that I get no replies?
doenerchef

Postby gmzombie » 05 Jan 2012, 23:59

just take a look at the installation wiki http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Installation there are links and instructions on what to do and get to run this game correctly. :)
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby doenerchef » 06 Jan 2012, 01:31

Thanks! But I did follow that wiki and the game runs no problem. I'm just wondering if the cards I mentioned above are only missing from this ISO version or if they were never implemented into the game by MicroProse. Have you ever seen one of those cards in Shandalar?
doenerchef

Postby gmzombie » 06 Jan 2012, 04:34

yea shandalar is probably around the time of duels of the plainswalkers and wont have any of the cool dark cards in the game..actually there is alot missing from the original 952 cards as they were added after the fact in the original alpha of Manalink that was updated by mok way back when. so cards like maze of ith and the mentioned ones wernt even in the official last version. Also you only need the 2.0 edition to play shandalar. if you want to use the new 2k no more fix for the rest of the game and play with the over 4k of cards that are currently coded go into manalink 2.0 forum and goto the patches page and it is the first post i believe 2k no more beta thread. read it all and it will help you get that side running perfectly.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby captain video » 24 Jan 2012, 12:31

The ISO contains Shandalar as it existed in the original DotP release. There is no subsequent edition. It has all the cards which were available in Shandalar at the time.

The information you are getting from Wikipedia is somewhat misleading. The original game was not advertised as including all cards in the expansion sets. It contains most, but not quite all, of the cards in the Arabian Nights and Antiquities expansions. It contains, if memory serves, about 80 cards from the Dark expansion, and only a few odds and ends from Legends. As other posters have noted, there were a few cards which were programmed into DotP but not made available (possible bugs), and there was a fan patch in the early '90s (1.3.2, I think) which enabled those to be found and played in Shandalar. The ISO includes this patch. Nothing can be done to add more cards to Shandalar without major re-programming.
captain video

Return to Shandalar