It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:57

Text Size

A big thanks from a returning player

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

A big thanks from a returning player

Postby Puce Moose » 05 Feb 2012, 21:52

Hello,

I just wanted to drop in and give a sincere thanks to the folks who helped get the old Microprose game up and running on modern computers. I loved the game and bought it shortly after it first came out, but I never could get it to run on XP or above. I did manage to get an old computer (A pentium 166) with Windows 98 to run it, but not well, and only when I had CPUkiller running to slow things down.

Anyway, Shandalar is running great (about two hours of play and no crashes yet, hooray!) and I can't believe how easy it was to install. I expected a long, drawn-out process, but that installer handled the task beautifully.

=D> =D> =D> to all of you who worked on it!

I downloaded the 2010 iso. If I'm just interested in the Shandalar component, are there any other Shandalar specific downloads/patches/mods out there? From my limited knowledge of the subject it appears that it's very difficult to mod. I imagine that people would have patched in new cards for it by now if it was manageable. I wonder if some old cards (like the laces) could be excised from the build and replaced with new ones?

Anyway, even if no more progress is made on it, it's a heck of an accomplishment as it stands currently.

Thanks again!
Puce Moose

Re: A big thanks from a returning player

Postby CirothUngol » 06 Feb 2012, 13:39

Welcome back to our favorite game! While it's true that Shandalar hasn't received the attention that the Duel/Gauntlet section of the game has, there are still a couple of goodies available. Look near the top of this forum for the Shandalar Deck Injector, it'll allow you to make a PlayDeck in DeckBuilder and then insert it into one of your slots in Shandalar (as well as edit Gold, Food, etc). Also, check out the Shandalar Enemy Decks Overhaul topic also near the top of this forum. It's a reengineering of the original enemy decks to make them as competetive as the 647 accessible cards will allow.

Also, you should know that Shandalar now seems to be working just fine under Manalink 3.0 (thanks, Mok!)... no new cards, though. If you don't wish to wade through the Manalink 3.0 install you can grab a complete setup from my MediaFire Folder link in my signature... look in the Manalink 3.0 folder (natch).
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Re: A big thanks from a returning player

Postby Puce Moose » 08 Feb 2012, 20:12

Excellent, thanks for the information.
I installed the game last night on a 12" Fujitsu tablet PC; its native resolution is 1024x768, and it's pretty neat to be marching through the world of Shandalar with a stylus on a touch-screen!
Puce Moose

Return to Shandalar