It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:59

Text Size

Shandalar 2012 Revisited

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar 2012 Revisited

Postby Grock » 24 Jan 2019, 18:08

Hello there I'm 35 and found an old Magic deck, and reminded me of Shandalar! played it 18years ago... I've found a rusty version that fasten all processes and bypass some screens, life points go down and never go further 11...very buggy!
I have tried your remake and it's good. no crashes.
also there are newest cards than 1999 expansions, right?
why cards doesn't report graphic author?
Anyway well done, thank you very much!!
=D>
Grock

Postby Timetwister » 01 Apr 2019, 17:35

Hello and thank you for keeping Shandalar alive.
The last couple of weeks I have enjoyed playing this version (Revisited) of the game with unmodified decks on a Windows 10 64-bit operating system. I started a new game on Wizard difficulty - not using the savedgames attached to the distribution. Unfortunatelly, in the mid- to late-game I encounter several problems while dueling certain enemies:
- Sedge Troll, Nether Fiend and Archangel, maybe more encounters, after a number of turns (around 10 turns for each player) appear to go into infinite thinking loop at enemy's post-combat phase. This appears no matter if loosing or winning the encounter, and no matter if enemy has 1 or 7 cards on hand. I have tried waiting for over 5 minutes and enemy turn does not end. The cursor is still "rotating". Double-pressing the game field gets cards rearranged, I can move my own cards, etc. but the enemy keeps "thinking" on next move. It does not matter if this phase is marked as "always stop" or not. The only option is to exit the game by ending the process in the Task Manager. Resuming the game and playing the encounter again may or may not have the same result. Restarting computer does not work.
- with some Djinn enemy I got the following error message: "AddCard error: No more room in cd to add a card", and I was asked to seek help on this forum, so here I am.
The deck I aim to play is heavy on card rotation (with Timetwister, Wheel of Fortune), but this issue did not yet happen with any other enemies. I searched the forum and found a workaround but I do not want to have enemy decks modified. Also it does not happen after many turns or card draws - maybe a total of 5 turns where the 1900 card limit is yet to be reached.
Not sure if those issues are specific to this distribution. Please point me to a solution if there is one. I am comfortable with hex-editing should need arise.
Thank you

- Update: playing against Dracur also got the message:
Assertion Error
File-> D:\Newmagic\multiplayer\sid\Minit.c, Line-> 1899
AddCard error: No more room in cd to add a card
Seek assistence in the Shandalar Forum at ... (seriously I can not post url of this forum)
This is in a new game, I do not yet have Timtwister, and this has happened on enemy turn 6.
Timetwister

Postby Gibberish » 30 Apr 2019, 17:33

Played the other version, buggy, but had no actual game play issues.

Decided to pick this one up and it was pretty, and faster

Then the other shoe dropped last night, as well as this morning

Hit the ice worm cave, bad guy got a mulligan, I declined to ride his and things went tits up. He got no land, if it even redxrew. Next 8 fights, in same place, every mob dropped no land...ODD! Was a face roll /yawn

This morning, I go to play and mulligan,redraw, no land,,,ODD. I check my black deck and all land in it is no longer in it...or in my inventory. As I check, EVERY land spell is gone that was included in that deck. City of brass x2, gone, Mishra factory x3, gone, and 15 swamps

Not sure if this is an issue others have had, seriously, 14 pages...yeeesh, too much to pour over to seek a confirmation :)

I am unsure if this is a knowen issue or a WTF issue revolving around that dungeon and my random mulligan when fighting or not, but it sure seemed to create a pretty oddball exception. So, starting over I suppose ;)

A side note...is my luck utter trash, sporting a 10 handicapped and the AI is gifted the luck? I can literally predict what card will drop, in most of the dungeon scenarios, in response to my card played. Granted, sense is sense, but when it happens to often to be as if the deck is weighted vs my specific hand, I have to wonder if there is a code issue there as well :)
Gibberish

Postby TheAriMan » 08 Jun 2019, 14:55

I'm so glad to have found this game again. And to see that people still play it.

I'm also glad I found this salvaging (if you will) of it, too, as it's incredible to play it with new(ish) cards and Planeswalkers as well. Especially since the version I got before finding this board only has cards as recent as Fate Reforged. Will it be updated with more recent sets in the future?
TheAriMan

Postby weskone » 13 Aug 2019, 11:43

Hi, I'm new here, I would like to know if you have the link of the shandalar game with all the updates, the last time I played was the normal game with its two updates but now I have seen that they have added many new cards and I would like to play it with these cards Do you have the last link that works correctly for Windows 10 that has these new cards?
weskone

Postby Reaper » 12 Dec 2019, 18:59

Hello, no new cards, because Korath, pulled the plug on his mods and removed all his links, also he wished it not being reuploaded
Reaper

Postby AMurderOfCrows » 10 Mar 2020, 15:11

I'm playing through using one of the premade saves (Black Wizard/Bog Wraith) and am noticing that the world magic "Tome of Knowledge" doesn't seem to be working properly. Either that, or it doesn't affect cards in the "restricted" list.

I have a deck that is 69 cards currently and any time i try to add in a 5th of any card i have, i'm told i have too many and need to remove anything above the 4th. What's really odd to me though is that the other aspects of that world magic (increasing 40 card deck limits by 1) seems to work fine.

i'm also running into a strange count bug for that deck where even through i have 69 cards, it will show that i have 1 less than that if i click anywhere in the "deck" field.

I almost wonder if the problem i'm having with Tome of Knowledge is related to the deck count problem.

any insights?
AMurderOfCrows

Postby Dwedit » 20 Jun 2020, 01:27

Since it's hard to dig through a 14 page thread, I'd just like to know the status of things.

I just tested three of the games on Windows 10, using the Google Drive downloads.

"Manalink 1.3.2" appears to work fine for dueling against the computer, does not have any new cards at all, and the Shandalar mode crashes a lot.
"Shandalar 2012" (despite a modification date of 2018) does not work at all.
"Manalink 3.0" appears to not work at all either. But I could get the deck builder to run, and it was missing all card art.

Before I try to dive into these programs with a debugger, I'd just like to know if the EXEs have already been fixed in some way beyond what was available on the Google Drive downloads.

Edit: I see "Shandalar 2012" dying after it calls "GDI32.RemoveFontResourceA" on the font file "TT0530m_.ttf"
Edit: Threw in an older version MSVCRT.DLL from Windows XP, and now it works until the Deck Builder appears, but then there's an access violation (bad write address) in CardArtLib.dll
Dwedit

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Jun 2020, 01:52

Yes this game has been decompiled and work done IIRC. It would be possible to reverse engineer everything from the assembly language but it was too tedious and no one capable was interested. So instead pieces were intercepted and replaced with a different language in later alterations/iterations.

I hope someone will correct me, it's been a long time. There are people here who could fill you in on the history. Or look at the oldest threads around and see where this Mok originated project came here via Bog Wraith once their original forum was no longer viable. I think Mok had disappeared.
<edit> Look at posts by Snacko and jatill </edit>

Have you tried the Magic the Gathering 2009 Edition ISO installer that hip63 made?
Here's the readme which I think is most informative and readable :) :
Magic the Gathering 2009 Edition (Updated March 2010).
A custom installer for Sid Meier's classic
Magic: The Gathering, Duels of the Planeswalkers, Spells of the Ancients
Published by Microprose

Brought to you by Hip63 and the CCGHQ Team at SlightlyMagic.net

BEFORE:

Install Magic: The Gathering, Duels of the Planeswalkers.
Install Spells of the Ancients.
Try getting it to run with compatibility mode, which never reliably worked.
See your wizard move too fast in Shandalar. See missing cards in your deckbuilder.
See invisible text in game dialogues.
Spend hours and hours googling for solutions, and following dead links.
Finally, if you still had the time, motivation, knowledge and hard drive space,
give up and install a virtual machine, then Windows 95 or 98, then DOTP and SOTA all over again.
Be stuck with a limited selection of cards.

TODAY:

All those hassles have been obliterated with:

===========================================================
M A G I C : T H E G A T H E R I N G
" D U E L S O F T H E P L A N E S W A L K E R S "
- - - 2 0 0 9 E D I T I O N - - -
===========================================================

This is an updated installer for MAGIC: THE GATHERING
"Duels of the Planeswalkers/Spells of the Ancients".

It has been modified to install and play on new operating systems
such as Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.

It has been tested with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

It runs in a screen resolution of 1024 x 768.

This version includes Mok's Manalink 2.01 unofficial updates,
Smiling Spectre's Application Compatibility Fix to
correct graphics issues, and hundreds of new cards added by
the Magic The Gathering Community, released as of early March 2009!

The CD-Rom Features:
====================
A professional grade installer that allows the user full control of the installation.

A reworked Autorun Menu featuring an animated splash screen and original CD artwork and sounds.

A new Tutorial Viewer. (Sorry, it's not interactive anymore, but all the info is still there.)

All the original manuals as PDF files. These are available from the program menu and the Tutorial Viewer as well.

The Installer Features:
=======================
Installer presentation with slide show and music from the original installer.

All the original registry entries are created by the installer.

The full game is installed already patched with manalink 2.01 plus
all the latest community card packs.

A new Magic the Gathering Launcher Application that allows for starting the
Deck Builder, Magic or Shandalar, and Character Generator directly from the Launcher.
The Manuals can also be viewed from the Launcher.

However, the BIG feature of the new installer is the fact that it automatically installs
Smiling Spectre's ACT Fix WITHOUT having to use the Application Compatibility Toolkit.

And everything still fits on a single CD-Rom disc too!

INSTRUCTIONS
============
The ISO image can be burned to disc with any CD burning program.
Alternately, you can mount the image in a virtual drive such as DAEMON TOOLS,
Slysoft.com's Virtual Clone Drive, MagicDisk from MagicISO.com, etc.

If the installer doesn't begin, navigate to the CD and run autorun.exe.
After that it is just a simple install process (that will look VERY familiar) ;)

* - Your OS should be installed on your C drive.

* - Do NOT Install to a long folder path!
The Application Fix does not work with long folder paths!

EXAMPLES:
---------
C:\Program Files\MagicTG -GOOD!

C:\Program Files\Magic the Gathering -BAD! Will have issues

After installing, the Install window will pop up again.
You can install the tutorial viewer at this time.
If you don't want to do that, then close the window.

* - Be sure to update the CardArtNew images. See CardArtNew Instructions.txt.

Launch the game from the Magic TG Launcher shortcut on your desktop or
the shortcut in the Programs menu.

* - The Launcher minimizes to the system tray, and you can have more than one open
at a time, so keep an eye on it.

* - Sometimes when starting or loading a game,
the display may not "fill the screen" and the game will run
in a window in upper left corner of the screen. To correct
this, simply save, exit, then reload the game and it
should correct the issue.

* - When Starting a new Shandalar Game, it is
RECOMMENDED that you save your character's image before
proceeding, or you may not have a character at all!

To view the Tutorial, run C:\Program Files (x86)\MagicTG\Tutorial.exe or
see the shortcut in your Start/All Programs Menu.

CREDITS:
========
Mok for cracking and updating the game, and keeping it alive.
He proved it could be done even without the source code and with no help.
Without him none of this would be possible.

Bog Wraith, the most experienced DOTP user in the world, for his enthusiasm and support.
He kept the team together and the ball rolling. Go Canucks!

Hip63 for spending COUNTLESS hours making the installer, re-doing the tutorial videos,
integrating the ACT fix, making the installer work on Vista and Windows 7, etc etc.

Smiling Spectre for his invaluable ACT fix.

The guys in the new Manalink 2 forum at
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=25 for continuing development.
(Go there to get all kinds of new stuff like cards, play modes and graphics.)

And of course the CCGHQ Team at http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum.

EXTRAS:
=======
We have archived all the original game CD's at
http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/view ... f=55&t=898

Come see us!
And most importantly:
================
Enjoy Every One!
================

Huggybaby
March 2010
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Dwedit » 20 Jun 2020, 04:49

I managed to get Shandalar 2012 working with this sequence:

* Install the "2010 version" from the ISO
* Extract Shandalar 2012 over it
* From the MODS directory, extract Art.Default.cab, then Art.Classic.cab in the the same directory, then overwrite the CardArt, DbArt, DualArt directories.

The game will fail to load "CardArtLib.dll" due to lots of missing files, such as "CardArt\CardBk_Land.pic". Extracting the files from MODS generates those files and it will successfully load CardArtLib.dll.

I didn't play it for very long, but it seemed to work fine.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, I can't get ManaLink 3 working at all.

First it reaches THIS function call...
magic_bug1.png
magic_bug1.png (6.41 KiB) Viewed 10967 times

Then inside that function call, it executes "JMP 01204745" which does not go to any mapped memory at all, so it's a crash.
magic_bug2.png
magic_bug2.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 10967 times
Dwedit

Postby Aswan jaguar » 20 Jun 2020, 07:20

Dwedit wrote:Meanwhile, I can't get ManaLink 3 working at all.
I don't know what version did you install but the latest can always be found in Manalink3.0 forum in patches, look at the top 2 posts. Cross fingers with the 2,3 latest updates so far no one had issues with installation.
viewforum.php?f=85
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Nilmur » 24 Jun 2020, 13:31

Hi,
I've been trying to follow the instrusctions and I am still unable to get the game functioning. I am unsure how to describe the issues I am having besides the following:
I am using 2560x1440p monitor so it's not in full screen so not sure if thats a major issue or not.
Unable to do anything on character creation screen as nothing loads.
able to get into the game by hitting enter, however unable to do anything in town.
When in combat the game crashes the instant I take damage.
Nilmur

Postby Saproling » 21 Nov 2020, 08:40

Hi!

EDIT: never mind the following, after watching let's plays on Youtube I realized I had to click on the card to try and purchase it with amulets, not just click done. This game's interface isn't exactly intuitive.
I've been trying Shandalar2012rev.7z and it worked well at first, but I've seem to run into a major bug.
I picked up a quest and upon arriving to destination at Mardrake Mill I picked the option at the center of the village screen to get my reward, i.e.:
Trade black amulet for Colorless cards

In the Rare category, I chose Tawnos's Coffin and clicked the button at the top of the screen to signify I was done.

Unfortunately unlike rewards from previous quests at other locations which worked, the card didn't appear in the deckbuilder. I tried reloading and picking another reward, but that didn't work either.

I've attached what I believed is the correct save, based on file timestamps. I saved inside Mardrake Mill right before claiming the reward, but upon loading you'll probably get bumrushed and have to concede a fight or two before you can get to the mill.

EDIT: I also noticed that card text seemed different in the deckbuilder and during battle. For instance for Mishra's War Machine, in the deckbuilder the whole text area is taken by the description of the Banding ability, and you can't see the (very important) rest of the card text. Thankfully at least in-game you see the text you need, but it's problematic for deckbuilding.
Last edited by Saproling on 26 Nov 2020, 05:05, edited 1 time in total.
Saproling

Postby Aswan jaguar » 21 Nov 2020, 09:45

Saproling wrote:Unfortunately unlike rewards from previous quests at other locations which worked, the card didn't appear in the deckbuilder. I tried reloading and picking another reward, but that didn't work either.
This sounds like you have too many cards, exceeded the limit of 500 cards and so new cards don't appear or you could have left some filter on the deckbuilder from a previous time and you don't get to see the cards because of that.
Saproling wrote:EDIT: I also noticed that card text seemed different in the deckbuilder and during battle. For instance for Mishra's War Machine, in the deckbuilder the whole text area is taken by the description of the Banding ability, and you can't see the (very important) rest of the card text. Thankfully at least in-game you see the text you need, but it's problematic for deckbuilding.
Both in deckbuilder and during battle if you click on the big card you can select to expand the text so you can see all the text or not to have all the cardart.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Saproling » 22 Nov 2020, 03:52

Aswan jaguar wrote:
Saproling wrote:Unfortunately unlike rewards from previous quests at other locations which worked, the card didn't appear in the deckbuilder. I tried reloading and picking another reward, but that didn't work either.
This sounds like you have too many cards, exceeded the limit of 500 cards and so new cards don't appear or you could have left some filter on the deckbuilder from a previous time and you don't get to see the cards because of that.
EDIT: never mind the following, after watching let's plays on Youtube I realized I had to click on the card to try and purchase it with amulets, not just click done. This game's interface isn't exactly intuitive.
Nope, as you can see in the save this is with a brand new game where I barely purchased 4 or 5 cards and my deck is below 40 cards.
It seems like a genuine game-breaking bug (or within the limit of what I'd consider game-breaking, anyways). Pretty sad since I was hoping to finally get into this game, but now it seems like it's gonna be either play the original or give up.

Aswan jaguar wrote:
Saproling wrote:EDIT: I also noticed that card text seemed different in the deckbuilder and during battle. For instance for Mishra's War Machine, in the deckbuilder the whole text area is taken by the description of the Banding ability, and you can't see the (very important) rest of the card text. Thankfully at least in-game you see the text you need, but it's problematic for deckbuilding.
Both in deckbuilder and during battle if you click on the big card you can select to expand the text so you can see all the text or not to have all the cardart.
It works, thanks for the tip.
Saproling

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar