It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:51

Text Size

Shandalar 2012 Revisited

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar 2012 Install

Postby Ken » 20 Apr 2013, 04:54

Ciroth,
Thanks for getting back so quick ... thought I'd have to wait for the weekend to be over :o

SOOO true, "if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have none at all"

-- \CardArt\\DBArt\\DuelArt\: all have contents
-- It's installed under C:\Users\Ken\Shandalar_2012delta\. My wife & I share the computer. I didn't want it popping up under her. Could it make that much of a difference? If you think so, she probably wouldn't mind (if it means I can play this game again).
-- The anti-virus/malware detection program did give a warning regarding a file or two during the install.
-- When I ran the Sound Mod, a black DOS screen DID open up, showing the files being decoded.
Ken

Postby Aswan jaguar » 20 Apr 2013, 05:52

You most probably will succeed in running the program but if you don't keep in mind that you can get Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO which is very easy to install and stable but it doesn't have the new card art,new deck editor.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby CirothUngol » 20 Apr 2013, 15:57

Ken wrote:-- \CardArt\\DBArt\\DuelArt\: all have contents
This would indicate that the default ArtMod extracted successfully... OK, that seems to work.
-- It's installed under... Could it make that much of a difference?
Yes, most definitely. If the folder requires special permissions then the OS might be blocking something (like maybe the OggDecoder used by the SoundMods). Just try running the install in a neutral location in a folder you create (I use C:\Games\). It's just a simple extraction, no writing to the registry or anything like that, so you can delete, move, or re-install the Shandalar folder as you see fit.
Remember to reboot if you have any issues with Text or Images not appearing in the game, which seems to happen when you move the location of the game fonts.
-- The anti-virus/malware detection program did give a warning regarding a file or two during the install.
I've noticed that the Mod.exe files seem to send up a lot of red flags, maybe it's the BAT-to-EXE conversion. All these EXEs do is extract files and maybe run a commandline executable or two... I can assure you that they don't do anything malicious, so you should either WhiteList them, or just grant permissions when asked. You can even extract the BatchScript and all of the embedded contents from the ModFiles by running them from the CommandLine with the ExtractFiles switch (e.g. Mod.exe /ef) if you'd like to check the contents yourself.
-- When I ran the Sound Mod, a black DOS screen DID open up, showing the files being decoded.
Hmm... that would seem to indicate that the WAV files were extracted somewhere. Perhaps you could do a file search on your HardDrive for ARCHMAGE.WAV to see if they were extracted somewhere. That'd be weird... but not impossible.

All of the Mods run without a hitch on both of my systems (WinXPsp3 and Win7x64sp1), but they're not "locked-down" at all (I log on as Administrator). I suspect all of this is caused by Windoze Protection issues... which I really know very little about. I can include an "Administrator Manifest" when compiling the MOD.EXEs, but I'm not even sure what that means... I should probably figure that out. ^_^

If you don't want to move the install, try running SoundMod_Shandalar2012_Default in another folder. It'll create necessary folders if they don't exist... or you could extract the contents using the aforementioned ExtractFiles switch (/ef), then you could either run the BatchScript or decode the OGG files manually and move them... which is a horrible solution. Please try the others first and get back with us.

As AJ said, you can always use the 2010 Custom ISO to play Shandalar. It has a nifty modern installer that'll work flawlessly on WinXP-Win7 and the actual game is no different than this version... only with some updated graphics, etc.
However, if you're willing to help troubleshoot, then I'm sure we can get this working for you. Plus, it's pointing out some very serious issues with the MOD.EXEs that I'd like to be able to correct.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Apr 2013, 18:22

Even if logged in as admin, it still helps to run troublesome programs as admin via for example, the right click menu. And definitely install to a neutral location as CirothUngol said!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Ken » 21 Apr 2013, 06:50

Ok, I'll give this a try tomorrow (Sunday) and post outcomes (on Sunday).

Thanks again, everybody.
Ken

Postby Ken » 22 Apr 2013, 05:16

Tried installing under admin .. had same problems.

I should probably mention, I have Windows Vista. I don't remember if Vista was mentioned under this thread. If so, sorry for overlooking/forgetting.

If it doesn't matter it's on Vista, I'll mention a couple things that happen during the installation/extracting:
--a message pops up stating "threat detected W32.Malware.Gen"; the location ends with '\oggdec.exe'.
--That message also comes up during the decoding of the SoundMod files (SoundMod Shandalar default)
--Don't know if this makes any difference, but I can play the intro w/no problem.

There are a couple other things that stand out (to me), but I won't mention until I can do another install and take notes. Everything has been uninstalled from my profile and admin. Should be able to get to it by tomorrow.

I'm thinking of just downloading the Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO :lol:
Ken

Postby Huggybaby » 22 Apr 2013, 15:58

Please disable your antivirus before installing.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby CirothUngol » 23 Apr 2013, 00:27

Ken wrote:I should probably mention, I have Windows Vista.
Ugh... I'm so sorry. Vista's permissions are notoriously cantankerous, but so far you're either the only person to install on Vista, or the only one who's had this much problem. Thanx for sticking with it.
...I'll mention a couple things that happen during the installation/extracting:
--a message pops up stating "threat detected W32.Malware.Gen"; the location ends with '\oggdec.exe'.
--That message also comes up during the decoding of the SoundMod files (SoundMod Shandalar default)
...OggDec.exe?! That's really weird, 'cause it's a rather common and safe commandline utility that decodes OGG files to WAV. In fact, it's the newer version of the same one used in the original HotU Manalink 1.3.2 Install.
--Don't know if this makes any difference, but I can play the intro w/no problem.
No, the intro was re-encoded using the XviD Video Codec, which should be compatible with any Windoze system made in the last decade or so.
There are a couple other things that stand out (to me)...
Me too. Namely, your failure to mention that you've tried extracting and installing the package into a neutral, self-created and non-protected folder... e.g. C:\Games\Shandalar2012\. If you have not, you really should.
Not only would it narrow down the possibilities, but I can practically assure that you will not be able to extract and install this early version to a Vista protected folder... the final product should be a different story. ^_^
I'm thinking of just downloading the Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO :lol:
Hey, that's a great idea whether you play Shandalar 2012 or not. As previously stated, the 2010 ISO is my personal favorite version of Microprose's MtG. Also, if it's Shandalar you want, you could grab the original Manalink 1.3.2 install to see if that works. You can find it in the \Manalink 1.3.2\ folder at any of the links in my signature. You can also find the 2010 Custom ISO (and many other things) in my old, defunct MediaFire MtG Folder, if it's still up and running (look in \Manalink 2.0\CCGHQ ISO\).

Here's a thought:
If it really is OggDec.exe that's causing the issue, you could simply copy the WAV files from any other version of the game into the program folder. Copy the two folders \DuelSounds\ and \Sound\ to the \Shandalar2012\Program\ folder... just remember, the original WAV files are really loud!

Also, if you'd just like to try and get this going (without sound), you can snag the RAR file below. It contains only the few WAV files the game needs to run. Dump the WAV files from the archive into the \Sound\ folder and see if it runs. If so, then we'll know what the problem is.

I'd like to thank you again for your patience and for possessing the tenacity to continue attempting the install time and again.
It's quite appreciated.
Attachments
Shandalar_Required_Sounds.rar
The 11 WAV files that are known to be necessary for Shandalar.exe to operate.
(215.64 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Ken » 23 Apr 2013, 06:37

--You must've missed the first comment in my last post. I tried installing using Admin under C:\Games\Shandalar, but still had the same problems :?

--Regarding Vista: yeah, we don't use our computer for much other than the basics. Haven't upgraded much since we got it some years ago. I use to play computer games, but couldn't afford to keep upgrading, so I switched to console.

--I did download the 2010 MMtG Custom and it plays great ... the mods are a fun touch also. What I'm wondering is: if I keep trying w/the 2012 version, the file name/location would have to be changed, correct? (Otherwise, something would get overwritten ...?) If the name is changed, wouldn't that affect the install?
Ken

Postby CirothUngol » 23 Apr 2013, 12:52

Ken wrote:--You must've missed the first comment in my last post.
The 1st comment of that last post mentioned installing under Admin, but nothing about installing to a different folder. Thanx for trying that also.

I'm really sorry that it doesn't work for you, but the final version should work just fine.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Ken » 24 Apr 2013, 00:48

Ciroth, no need to be sorry ... the version I was able to download is good enough :D

Also, I'm curious how to make a donation/contribution to this great website for the help and the game. Never thought I'd get to play it again =D>
Ken

Postby Huggybaby » 24 Apr 2013, 02:02

Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby CirothUngol » 26 Apr 2013, 13:10

Speaking of the final version... Hip63, you are da freakin' man!

I've been giving your beta package a thorough shake-down by testing all options and playing a few games to completion. Your install seriously rocks, but there are (of course) some additions and corrections to be made... the majority of which needs to be done by me. I've come to a halting point on a current project so that I can devote some time to Shandalar 2012, and hopefully accomplish everything needed while you're still willing to rebuild your install (which I have serious trouble not gushing about).

Things to add or issues to correct:
Scan and include Microprose MtG Manual
Update the ReadMe.txt
Rebuild the pre-juiced SaveFiles
Correct the config files for DeckInjector and Haxxer
Update and create new MOD.EXEs with latest content

Things I'd like to do, but probably can't:
Fix the PlayFaces produced by Mok's FaceMaker so that they appear correctly
Figure out how to add ManaLinks to the SaveFiles to give you more life

The only issue I've noticed with your beta package is that the "Sounds On/Off" menu option disappears after I toggle them off, never to return... even if I toggle them back on manually. Also, there isn't a way to access the external DeckBuilder so you can build PlayDecks for the DeckInjector... but I can just add a batch file to the "Tools" folder to run it if you don't wanna jack with adding it to the Main Menu.

I should be able to steal some time this weekend to start working on this stuff... if I can only keep myself from playing it instead of working on it. ^_^
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 26 Apr 2013, 15:42

I found some corrections to be made in the readme. Other stuff I'll wait and see if hip63 fixes them for the next version.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby hip63 » 26 Apr 2013, 19:31

alrighty, I'll look into the button thing, just send over the new changes whenever, I'm in no hurry

hip63 :P
hip63

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar