It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:14

Text Size

Shandalar 2012 Revisited

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar 2012 Install

Postby Aswan jaguar » 14 Mar 2015, 06:54

Some problems are solved by restarting your pc.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby wowaddict99 » 14 Mar 2015, 20:21

I tried restarting after every fix I attempted.
wowaddict99

Postby Doc » 30 Mar 2015, 23:39

Hey, my friend, I struggled here too, but finally got it in Windows 8.

--Download and unzip the file; I didn't use my C: drive so I can't address that.
--Make sure the resulting "Shandalar 2012" folder is *not* read only before doing anything else; mine was defaulted to read only.
--Now, run the "Install Me First!" file.
--The Play Shandalar.cmd doesn't work. I have no idea why; it just looks like a simple program to change directories and run the Shandalar.exe, but whatever.
--Run Shandalar.exe as administrator.

****The critical piece appears to be changing the read-only status *Before* running any commands.****

Things I didn't have to do:
--restart the computer
--change compatibility
--Move the install folder

Good luck!
Doc

Postby Baradoz » 08 May 2015, 16:28

Doc wrote:--Now, run the "Install Me First!" file.
--The Play Shandalar.cmd doesn't work. I have no idea why; it just looks like a simple program to change directories and run the Shandalar.exe, but whatever.
--Run Shandalar.exe as administrator.
Same here (PC, with Windows 8 ) and the game works perfectly fine, except for one thing:
The game freezes every time I run into a "boss" in one of the 5 castles.

Maybe I'm missing something, I have rebooted my computer numerous times and still, every time I walk into a boss (any one of them), the game just freezes when the pop-up window appears ("wandering into the dungeon, you encounter a...").

Is it a bug that has already been reported and is there a known solution to it?

Thank you in advance for any help and - Congratulations for the update work done on this game, it's really amazing!!!
Baradoz

Postby treflip » 21 Jun 2015, 03:44

hello and thanks for the build.
I don't see the install_me_first!.cmd file in my shandalar 2012 folder. Is this been removed?

Thanks!
treflip

Postby thatsascam » 29 Jun 2015, 19:17

Nice one. Mods folder full of Trojans! Almost fooled me here. :lol:
thatsascam

Postby CirothUngol » 05 Jul 2015, 18:12

thatsascam wrote:Nice one. Mods folder full of Trojans! Almost fooled me here. :lol:
No, but false positives are common with the executables produced by Advanced Bat to Exe Pro, which is why I've started using straight batch with the new Manalink install.

I've updated the OP with a notice to not use this install with Korath's new Shandalar mods. It contains many hacked files and offers nothing but potential headaches for the new modifications. Please use the Manalink install and Shandalar add-on available in the 'MtG\Manalink 3.x\' folder at one of the links in my signature.

I'm also requesting assistance in cleaning-up the Shandalar add-on. It currently contains lots of files that I'm sure are unused, so if anyone is 'in the know' I'd be glad to remove the unnecessary bits and re-upload the file.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Crag Hack » 06 Jul 2015, 09:27

Thanks for posting this. I had used your version in the past and was very satisfied, it worked great on windows xp sp3. So I tried to use it with the Korath's update but I am getting some weird bugs even though the game is playable (finished it with blue, white, black) so I erased everything and will install again. Do I have to follow the instructions here

viewtopic.php?p=181083#p181083

after I download Add_Shandalar_LoremastersTower2_preAlpha.7z and
Manalink3_20150325.7z from your folder or is there a different procedure? I haven't downloaded yet so I don't know what's inside the archives. And I suppose the Toggle_Sounds_20130322.zip isn't needed anymore, right?
Crag Hack

Postby CirothUngol » 07 Jul 2015, 23:44

1) Download and extract Manalink3_20150325.7z found at one of the links in my signature.

2) Start Manalink_Launcher.cmd to install the default Mods for Manalink. It contains the latest 'Fate Reforged' patch, but with No CardArt. If you'd like CardArt, use Sonic's latest image archives found here.

3) Download Add_Shandalar_LoremastersTower2_preAlpha.7z from the same folder, place it in the '\Manalink3\' folder created by the previous archive, and extract it in place to update the '\Program\' folder with all of the Shandalar goodness. This archive contains the clean files from the Shandalar_2012 install + Korath's updated files for 'LoremastersTower2_preAlpha'.

That should get you up and running. If you have issues with animations not working, please try installing the CCCP, as it's never failed me. ^_^
All of my old batch files (Toggle_Sounds, Delete_Drafts, ArtMods, etc) are incorporated together into the new Manalink_Launcher.cmd. Everything is now in one place and selectable from a simple menu.
I've installed Korath's new Shandalar version using this exact process on three different machines (2 WinXp and 1 Win7) with no issues. Please let us know if this works for you.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Crag Hack » 08 Jul 2015, 15:21

Thanks, I got it working right now, worked on first try.
Crag Hack

Postby willyk44 » 17 Jul 2015, 16:07

Is there a way to get Shandalar to run within a window? Right now it comes up full screen.

Thanks
willyk44

Postby gmzombie » 17 Jul 2015, 16:57

I believe korath is working on that or has it done and if I recall will be in the next patch?? Don't quote me though
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Re: Shandalar 2012 Revisited

Postby CirothUngol » 21 Oct 2018, 05:19

Bump!
Just posting to note that a new user-friendly install of Shandalar 2012 (revisited) is available from the links in my signature. For more info see the edited first post.

I couldn't believe Korath was gone, but since I only pulled 2012 because it was incompatible with his amazing new releases (and was causing confusion) I thought putting together a new actually usable modern release of Shandalar 2012 was in order... besides, I really wanted to play the game!

Korath, we miss you. This sucks in comparison, but it's certainly better than nothing. If you're currently using any modern Windows environment please download and give it a try, posting any issues you may have.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby TheKillerNacho » 12 Dec 2018, 22:50

CirothUngol wrote:Bump!
Just posting to note that a new user-friendly install of Shandalar 2012 (revisited) is available from the links in my signature. For more info see the edited first post.

I couldn't believe Korath was gone, but since I only pulled 2012 because it was incompatible with his amazing new releases (and was causing confusion) I thought putting together a new actually usable modern release of Shandalar 2012 was in order... besides, I really wanted to play the game!

Korath, we miss you. This sucks in comparison, but it's certainly better than nothing. If you're currently using any modern Windows environment please download and give it a try, posting any issues you may have.
Pretty sure Korath didn't want his work released publicly...
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby Aswan jaguar » 23 Dec 2018, 10:42

TheKillerNacho wrote:Pretty sure Korath didn't want his work released publicly...
This doesn't include any of Korath's work.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar