It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:29

Text Size

Shandalar 2012 Revisited

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar 2012 Install

Postby CirothUngol » 07 Apr 2013, 21:29

hip63 wrote:...That's no small feat!
No doubt! I've looked at Install Sheild... yer right. Not easy.
...I worked my ass off on it too...
Again, I'm sure. A true labor of love. As you might imagine, there are several people stoked about checking this out. You could always get a DropBox, GoogleDrive or SkyDrive account. They' free and easy.

Thanx in advance for all of your effort on this, I'm sure it's gonna Kick Ass! I have both the original Microprose MtG Manual and an original WotC Unlimited manual I wanted to scan and include with the final product. I guess I need to dust off the ol' USB Scanner and get crankin'!
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby hip63 » 07 Apr 2013, 22:14

OK, I've got it uploaded and PMs sent to Ciroth and Huggy with links! :mrgreen:

Test away boys!

BTW - Those manuals can be easily added to the final package, but the one I've loaded is plenty good for testing the really important parts.

And take your time, I'm going out of town tomorrow on a business trip for a week, so it'll be next week before I can make any revisions.

hip63 :P
hip63

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Apr 2013, 00:58

When you get to the customer information section, if the Company Name field is blank, then you cannot proceed.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby hip63 » 08 Apr 2013, 01:40

so type in anything

EDIT: That section will be removed in the final public release.

hip63 :P
hip63

Postby Bog Wraith » 08 Apr 2013, 18:49

Installed it on both my Windows emulator running on my Mac & on my windows machine, both on Windows 7. Install was perfect apart from the run Visual Basics as they were not needed due to the fact that it's an older version then the one I have now.

The only other issue was that on the Windows 7 on the Mac running on Parallels, I had to install it as a 32 bit version, probably because it was originally set as such when I initially dialed in my Parallels settings. Not an issue, just mentioning it here for any other folks who might run into this.
The Windows machine install was at the 64 bit setting.

Game is running smooth and there seems to be no issues at this time.

Liked the visual eye candy that you framed the install in hip, & the custom icon you created as well.

All in all, the usual first class job I've come to expect from the hippster! 8)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby kravechocolate » 15 Apr 2013, 20:11

I installed this using the dropbox link on the first post. Everything seems to run except that I cannot see any words. Graphics and sound are playing, but whenever there are supposed to be text, it is blank instead. Can anyone help with this problem? I'm running Win8 64-bit. Thanks!
kravechocolate

Postby Aswan jaguar » 16 Apr 2013, 13:55

Your comment is some hours ago but if you haven't already close and start your pc,then restart and the problem will no longer be there.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Vanguard » 16 Apr 2013, 22:31

I've installed the game on my Windows7 64bit computer but it hangs upon entering a duel. This only seems to happen for duels while wandering outdoors. Event duels, e.g. Dragon's Lair, Spectral Arena, seems to be OK.

The freeze occurs after selecting the "Duel this opponent" option rather than "Pay N gold"

I really keen to try out the wonderful, updated game.
---
Edit:
The above error was for the Gamma version. I am trying the Delta version now.

Edit 2:
Gamma seems to work fine. I know I am going to lose my weekend to this game but I'm very much looking forward to doing so! Thanks for keeping it alive.
Vanguard

Postby CirothUngol » 17 Apr 2013, 04:50

The error mentioned above occurs when the *WALK*.WAV sound files are not present in the \SOUND\ subfolder.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Ken » 19 Apr 2013, 00:24

I just wanted to give a big thanks to all the people working on this. I used to play this version of Magic all the time back when it first came out. As windows updated, couldn't play it anymore (as you all know). What Wizards of the Coast has recently released for Magic on the Xbox 360 is NOT a true Magic game, as you cannot build a deck from scratch. I came across your download last night, installed it today, and am going to give it a whirl now. Hopefully it will play fine, however, I see you give support for problems ... which makes you all that much cooler 8)
Ken

Postby Huggybaby » 19 Apr 2013, 00:35

Yep, we're downright frosty.

Let us know how the install goes.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Ken » 19 Apr 2013, 01:04

Actually, I am having an issue. If I choose to duel while wandering Shandalar, I can't get past the screen w/choice to fight/pay & showing the ante. I see this issue was brought up earlier by vanguard. Ciroth mentions the *walk*.wav sound files absent from the SOUND subfolder ... which they are. How would I correct this?
Ken

Postby CirothUngol » 19 Apr 2013, 01:57

You did run the Install_Me_First! batch file, right?
Hmm... let's see.

Did you use the Toggle_Sounds BatchFile to turn sounds off? If so, click it again to try turning them back on. Perhaps there's an issue using that script on some systems?

If not, first look in the \Program\ sub-folder and assure that there isn't a folder named \_Sound\ (which is created and removed by the Sound Toggler). Then, run the default SoundMod found at \Mods\SoundMod_Shandalar2012_Default. That should re-create any missing sounds.

Let us know if you still have problems getting this working or run into any further issues.

Edit: Check the 1st post of this thread for the updated Sound Toggler script. It fixes an issue with the game locking-up while attempting to duel the final Wizard in Castles and Dungeons.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Ken » 19 Apr 2013, 08:51

The 2 problems I'm still having:
-no sound
-@ the beginning of an enemy encounter, game locks up @ 'ante' screen (duel or pay gold)

Just to make sure I did it correctly, I reinstalled it.

I ran the Install_Me_First! batch file first (the read_me file opened up ... read that also).
I didn't mess w/the TOGGLE_SOUNDS batch file.
In the \Program\ subfolder there isn't a folder named \_Sound\, but there is one named \Sound\ (which is empty).
I ran the default SoundMod under \Mods\SoundMod_Shandalar2012_Default and went to the first page of this thread for the updated Sound Toggler Script.

This would be my luck :(
Ken

Postby CirothUngol » 19 Apr 2013, 23:43

Ken wrote:This would be my luck :(
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. ^_^
OK, the two problems you're having are actually the same problem. Apparently, the SoundMod isn't extracting on your system. Are the following folders also empty?
\CardArt\
\DBArt\
\DuelArt\

Those folders are filled by the default ArtMod, which is also ran by the install script. Hmm, where do you have it installed? Have you tried moving it to a neutral location, like C:\Shandalar\? It would seem that your OS is blocking the Mods from executing (they're compiled NT BatchScripts, and many anti-Virus/Malware don't like them).

When you run the SoundMod, does it pop up a black command window showing the files being decoded? If not, try opening a command window (Start, Run, then type CMD), navigate to the ModFiles (CD /d "Mod\Path\Here") and execute by typing the full name of the ModFile (SoundMod_Shandalar2012_Default). Do you receive an error? If no, then what happens?

I'm thinking that it's a permission issue. I might just get rid of the whole Install Script entirely... I originally only used it to save a little space because I already include the Mods with the archive, but if it causes problems...
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar