It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:25

Text Size

Shandalar 2012 Revisited

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar 2012 Install

Postby CirothUngol » 05 Sep 2012, 16:30

...I think it would be possible for me to write a program that could edit the .dat file directly, updating pointers as necessary, to make text edits that way
Sure, that'd be possible... but not very easy, as there's plenty of bits that you'd need to update. I posted a break-down of the ML2.0 Cards.dat here, it might show you where the pointers are for text and stuff. Incidently, what language do you normally code in?
I'm actually able to open the .pic files by just dragging them over to Paint... though to be honest I have no idea *why* it works and why Paint can open these files when Photoshop can't
Because they're actually BitMaps with a .PIC extension. MSPaint recognises this, but PhotoShop is trying to load them as actual .PIC images (much more common on AppleMacs). Rename them to .BMP and PhotoShop should load them just fine. Of course, only DeckBuilder, DuelArt and CardFrames are .BMPs. All other .PIC files are Microprose .PICs.
...Since Deck Builder and duels both load the same .pic
Nope. Shandalar 2012 reads the .JPGs from the \CardArtShandalar\ folder, and DeckBuilder reads from the \CardArtManalink\ folder (just like in Manalink 3.0). That's why there's only 649 images in that folder, one for every Coded and Playable card in Shandalar. Does the DeckBuilder have the same issue when used in Manalink 3.0? If not, it might be as easy as using the .JPGs that come with Manalink (although I think they're the same).

Also, it's probably worth noting that Shandalar.exe has a max resolution of 1024x768, where as DeckDLL.dll should have a much higher maximum. It would be best to set your PC at 1024x768 resolution while doing all testing... that might even fix the issues with images in DeckBuilder.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby zombero » 05 Sep 2012, 17:18

CirothUngol wrote:what language do you normally code in?
Python usually.
CirothUngol wrote:Because they're actually BitMaps with a .PIC extension.
Ah, I see, well those are the .PICs I really have any interest in anyway, so it works out. :)
CirothUngol wrote:Nope. Shandalar 2012 reads the .JPGs from the \CardArtShandalar\ folder, and DeckBuilder reads from the \CardArtManalink\ folder (just like in Manalink 3.0).
I was talking about the CardArt folder images in that instance, not the .JPGs. The game is resizing the same CardArt backdrop for DeckBuilder and Shandalar.
CirothUngol wrote:That's why there's only 649 images in that folder, one for every Coded and Playable card in Shandalar. Does the DeckBuilder have the same issue when used in Manalink 3.0? If not, it might be as easy as using the .JPGs that come with Manalink (although I think they're the same).
I don't *think* changing the .JPGs would help, the game is resizing those images to specific dimensions in play, so any JPG changes would just be resized by the game itself anyway. The issue is that the position of the .JPG's display in the game is off by 1 pixel, it's likely that this was present in the original game, too.
CirothUngol wrote:It would be best to set your PC at 1024x768 resolution while doing all testing... that might even fix the issues with images in DeckBuilder.
Shandalar 2012 coerces my display settings to 1024x768 so long as the program is open (or until I alt-tab to change it back manually) so all my testing for everything has been at that resolution.
zombero

Postby CirothUngol » 06 Sep 2012, 02:35

I've never used Python, but I just looked it up and it appears to be both procedural and descriptive... I can dig that.
I'm very old-skool and use mainly BASIC and WinBatch to accomplish small tasks. I've studied several languages and find most to be too complex, however my last enthusiastic find was Euphoria. It's extremely simple and robust, has a fantastically versatile variable structure, runs on the world's fastest command interpreter (no, seriously), can be converted directly to ANSI C (to be fed into any one of the multitude of C Compilers available), and it's absolutely free (as in Free Speech)... which is a pre-requisite for almost any software I'll use.
Powerful and simple, Euphoria is most likely the next language I'll move to.

I was talking about the CardArt folder images in that instance, not the .JPGs
Oh... well, that's different then. ^_^

The issue is that the position of the .JPG's display in the game is off by 1 pixel, it's likely that this was present in the original game, too.
Yep, you're right. I just checked an original OEM install and the images are off by a pixel. Not too surprising, considering how little code has actually been changed in Shandalar.exe. Funny how I've been playing this game for nearly 15 years and never really noticed that... no one ever accuses me of being observant.
I did notice it when substituting PlayFaces for the Pre-Boosted SaveFiles, it very obvious there.

Shandalar 2012 coerces my display settings to 1024x768
...but DeckBuilder does not. DeckDLL.dll will match the resolution of your PC, at least it does with my 1280x1024 Desktop. Of course, DeckBuilder itself is resizable (by grabbing the edges) which makes my point rather moot. Oops.

Thanx for taking an interest in our little project. A quick ToDo List for final release:
*Make a few BatchFile changes to the SoundMods
*Rebuild the ArtMods to match Shandalar's native resolution
*Rebuild compatible ManaSymbols, use the ones from Manalink 3.0
*Investigate transparency issue for PlayFaces in Shandalar
*Make a few changes to the Pre-Boosted SaveGames
*Perhaps make some new Killer PlayDecks, I'd love to make it an even 1,000.
*Disassemble and scan the Microprose Game Manual

I got the manual for $5 off eBay (to replace the horrible HomeOfTheUnderdogs PDF manual). I'm going to have to force myself to sit down for several hours and scan in the manual... so naturally I'm in no rush.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby zombero » 06 Sep 2012, 12:09

CirothUngol wrote:...but DeckBuilder does not. DeckDLL.dll will match the resolution of your PC
Ah, I guess I should specify: I've only ever looked at the Deck Builder in game (meaning while running Shandalar and going to it from the town interface) so I'm safe, there. ^_^
zombero

Postby suliscrew » 26 Sep 2012, 05:36

I've been getting a glitch where the worldmap flickers and your character and NPCs jump around the screen but this only happens after accepting a quest. any clue how to fix?
suliscrew

Postby sandman423 » 01 Oct 2012, 00:19

I got a glitch in game with Mishra's Factory. I changed it to an Assembly worker and block a 3/2 with my 2/2 Assembly worker and then I tapped assembly worker to pump itself to make it a 3/3 and my opponents 3/2 did damage to Assembly Worker Killing it but his 3/2 didn't take any damage..

IS this a glitch and can it be fixed? Please explain
sandman423

Postby Huggybaby » 01 Oct 2012, 16:07

This can't be fixed, sorry.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby jiansonz » 02 Oct 2012, 11:36

sandman423 wrote:I got a glitch in game with Mishra's Factory. I changed it to an Assembly worker and block a 3/2 with my 2/2 Assembly worker and then I tapped assembly worker to pump itself to make it a 3/3 and my opponents 3/2 did damage to Assembly Worker Killing it but his 3/2 didn't take any damage..

IS this a glitch and can it be fixed? Please explain
This is correct behaviour according to the old rules that govern Shandalar. Blocking creatures that (for any reason) tap after having been declared as blockers do not deal combat damage. You should have kept it as a 2/2 creature and they would both have died...

Note that you can still use the self-pumping ability to block a power 2 creature (even one with First Strike) and have the Factory survive. Factory won't deal any damage but it will only take 2 damage and therefore survive since it's 3/3.
jiansonz

Postby sandman423 » 08 Oct 2012, 08:55

I installed Shandalar 2012 and it is running fine but when I went to the Black Castle all the fights worked fine until I get to the main lich...

I get the pop-up where he says he has Hypnotic Specter in play and Greed and then the game freezes on the Black Mage Fight...

Please help me fix this...What is wrong?

I am running this on Win7 x64.
sandman423

Postby CirothUngol » 23 Oct 2012, 05:51

Where you using one of the pre-hacked SaveGames? If so, which one?
If you started a new game, what level did you start on? Was this the first Castle you went in?
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby timmermac » 29 Oct 2012, 03:11

I am not able to start a duel against an opponent. It seems to lock when I'm given the option of playing or paying the gold to get out of the encounter.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby CirothUngol » 06 Nov 2012, 02:48

...are you playing with sounds?

A few .WAV files are necessary in the .\Sounds folder, and that's the exact error it causes. If this is the case, you can use the Toggle_Sounds.cmd BatchFile to safely remove all but the needed .WAV files.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby timmermac » 06 Nov 2012, 03:35

Toggling the sounds on and off seems to not make any difference.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby CirothUngol » 08 Nov 2012, 01:32

Please verify that you've installed using the Install_Me_First! BatchFile, and that the 10 .WAV files named *WalkL.wav and *WalkR.wav are located in the .\Sounds subfolder.

Have you tried deleting the game and re-installing, or have you tried it on another computer? I ran into this error many years ago when I first attempted to eraticate the very loud sounds in Shandalar, and figured out it was just the *Walk*.wav files that were needed. Hopefully it'll be that simple. ^_^

I'm looking at releasing a final version before the end of the year. Not much has changed; I've re-written the Mods to be exactly like the Manalink 3.0 Mods, updated the ReadMe a little, and improved the Haxxer loader a tiny bit. I purchased a copy of the original Microprose Instruction Manual with the intention of including it with the final release... and I still will... if I find time to scan it in before then.
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Djoums » 24 Nov 2012, 14:51

Hi, just a thank you for this easy to use version, I played this game like 10 years ago and it's really cool to be able to play it again :)
Djoums

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar