It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:25

Text Size

Shandalar Freezing/Hard Crashing

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Shandalar Freezing/Hard Crashing

Postby magnus150 » 04 Aug 2012, 04:16

Greetings, I recently got back into magic and went out looking for the old magic game of my youth. I am pleased to see it alive and working with modern OSes. However, after a random period but ALWAYS during a duel, I suffer a freezeup. A harsh one that makes me restart my OS entirely (Windows 7 x64 btw).

As you can imagine, having to restart my computer every 5-30+ minutes is tiring. I've tried various versions and patches, including 2009, updated 2010 iso, the original, and my personal favorite, the 2012 shandalar only portable version. The problem always exists. It wouldn't even be so bad if I could alt tab out of it and restart it that way, but a complete system reset is irritating.

Anyone else having this issue and know of a work around?
magnus150

Re: Shandalar Freezing/Hard Crashing

Postby CirothUngol » 04 Aug 2012, 16:02

Hmm... are there any other contributing factors? Maybe a certain card, card-combo, or phase-of-turn where this occurs? Does this occur at any other time using other software, or only with Shandalar? Does it happen when playing Manalink?

If the crash seems at all random, it'd be a good idea to test your system memory. Go grab the latest version of MemTest86+, and see it it shows anything.

If nothing else, there's also a couple of VMWare versions available in the MediaFire Download Folder (check my signature). If it's some sort of odd Windows error, a Virtual Machine might be the answer.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 05 Aug 2012, 16:13

Since it happens with any version of the program you will have to go into Event Viewer and look at your critical events to determine the cause of the crash. I had to do that recently because my machine was hanging, turns out it was an nVidia plugin in my browser. Sheesh!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby gmzombie » 08 Aug 2012, 02:26

ive had issues with power struggle a blue card in the dungeons..always kills me after a bit with a error code and crash.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Return to Shandalar