It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:49

Text Size

Crashing when fighting "bosses"

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Crashing when fighting "bosses"

Postby MakoEyesX » 14 Aug 2012, 02:33

First post so sorry if i broke some rule.

Running V2.0 on, ahem, Vista.

The game runs absolutely flawlessly. Until i encounter a boss in their castle, and then the game instantly freezes.

It locks up when the message telling me what cards they start with pops up ("Astral Visionary has Zephyr Falcon!"), before the battle screen even starts up.

Anyone have any ideas? I encountered the problem once, went through and made sure there wasn't a problem with that bosses' deck, checked to make sure all the cards were spelled correctly, etc. Still nothing.

Then i went to go try a different boss (red) and the same thing happened. I played more than 100 matches prior to this happening, and there was never any freezing. I even went to go fight some other random encounters afterwards and it went fine.

Why would the game only be locking up when i fight a boss? I don't remember any videos before the match from when i used to play the game a decade ago, so what is different about these fights?
MakoEyesX

Re: Crashing when fighting "bosses"

Postby CirothUngol » 14 Aug 2012, 23:17

Any chance you could supply a SaveGame so that others could try on their systems? This would help us determine if it's an issue with the install or something else (the savegame is comprised of 3 files... MAGIC*.fce, MAGIC*.map and MAGIC*.sve).

Also, are you using one of the provided "Pre-Boosted" SaveGames, or did you start from scratch with a new character?
(I'm still very suspicious of the hacked SaveGames I've included, but so far I've seen no ill effects from them.)
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby MakoEyesX » 15 Aug 2012, 15:05

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure where to find those. I did start from scratch. The folder labeled SaveGame is totally empty, but my saved game does exist.
MakoEyesX

Postby jiansonz » 15 Aug 2012, 22:14

MakoEyesX wrote:Hmm, I'm not exactly sure where to find those. I did start from scratch. The folder labeled SaveGame is totally empty, but my saved game does exist.
They are stored in the main Magic folder.
jiansonz

Postby MakoEyesX » 16 Aug 2012, 04:07

"The extension map is not allowed."
"The extension fce is not allowed."
"The extension sve is not allowed."

:(
MakoEyesX

Postby CirothUngol » 16 Aug 2012, 23:25

...?
I don't comprehend. What is telling you that they are not allowed?

If you look in the main program folder (.\Shandalar2012\Program\) SaveGames will be files beginning with the word MAGIC, as in "MAGIC4", "MAGIC5", "MAGICA", etc. There should be 3 files in each set, ".fce" for your PlayFace, ".map" for your WorldMap, and ".sve" for all other GameInfo.
You don't see these files in the program folder? They have to be there, 'cause that's where all of your SaveGame information is stored. Without them, Shandalar won't remember anything about your previous quest.

BTW, Shandalar 2012 doesn't contain a SaveGame folder, that's used for Manalink. Please attempt to use the new install seperate from Manalink, as I'm no longer certain that the two of them get along well together. ^_^
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby gmzombie » 17 Aug 2012, 01:04

dude you need to put them in a zip file. extensions like that cant be uploaded to the server. :)
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby MakoEyesX » 17 Aug 2012, 05:28

Yeah, i was trying to say that this forum wouldn't let me upload those files. I wasn't aware i had to zip them. My initial install didn't come to this forum, i got it a few months ago from some random file sharing site. I was referred here from another forum when i posted my problem there.
Attachments
Shandalar Save.zip
(29.43 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
MakoEyesX

Postby sandman423 » 08 Oct 2012, 21:40

same thing is happening to me I am freezing up when I get to lich lord in Black Castle. Also same thing happens at the Green Castle..

Game works great til you get to main bosses...

FIX THIS PLEASE!!!! I am on Win7 x64
Attachments
Error.jpg
Shandalar Backup savegames.rar
(38.27 KiB) Downloaded 465 times
sandman423

Postby CirothUngol » 23 Mar 2013, 16:02

If you were playing without sounds, then I believe this issue has been corrected. The problem is caused by the Toggle_Sounds.cmd file not returning all necessary sound files to the \Sound\ folder.

You can either play with sounds toggled "ON", or snatch a fixed version of the Toggler HERE
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby negrodamus » 02 Jan 2014, 02:05

Did this ever get fixed when i goto bosses it just freezes up not sure what to do im running windows 8 everything works fine sept a few cards disapeared once but everything i encounter boss it freezes
negrodamus

Return to Shandalar