It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:26

Text Size

Shandalar

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar

Postby Nachomancer » 03 Jun 2009, 04:45

So, the last boss guy has 100-400 life, and they say that each life he loses banishes him for ten years. His deck is a zillion cards big, so you can't mill him. Has anyone tried beating him with poison counters? Does anything different happen?
Nachomancer

Postby Dominixux » 12 Jun 2009, 08:12

I actually defeated "Boss Guy". Nothing special happened, except he banished from Shandalar for a 3000 years.

My Deck, as I remember, was white/blue. It had:

2x Timetwister
2x Library of Leng
3x Healing Salve
1x COP: Artifact
4x COP: Red
4x Wrath of God
4x Ivory Tower
4x Black Vise
4x Howling Mine
4x Serra Angel
4x Disenchant
4x Island Sanctuary (I used Island Sanctuary because my Shandalar version didn't include Moat)
10x Island
16x Plains

It is easy to defeat any opponent if you have in play one of each: Black Vise, COP: Red, Howling Mine, Ivory Tower, Island Sanctuary and somewhere in your library 2x Timetwister (you will never draw your last card :P)

I must prepare you that Duel will be difficult, slow and boring, but you will eventually win.

One more thing if you play duel for 1 hour or more, sometimes Game performs an "Illegal operation" :). One time I was pissed-off, Big Boss had 1 life and in the next turn he'll surely die by my Black Vise, but Game wasn't ready to lose and it simply performed "Illegal operation".
With anger in my eyes I played game once more and killed the buster with pleasure. Hahahah!
Dominixux

Postby aww1979 » 12 Jun 2009, 09:43

I've never milled him, though it could be done, but I have beat him with poison counters :p He just dies like usual, needs 10 like everybody else. I can't remember how many years it said he was banished for. His deck is actually really, really bad, and as long as he doesn't get something like fireball for 20 while you're chipping away at those 400 life, you're okay.
aww1979
Tester

Postby 0rion79 » 12 Jun 2009, 11:34

well, as far as I remember, harder you strike him and for more time he will be banished.

Just to know, any of you is using the enhanced decks that I've uploaded on the old manalink forum some time ago?? If you like, the link is: http://www.savefile.com/files/2127136
I think you will enjoy some easy concept. The game is a bit more difficult, but all decks are still "beatable", even if some foes as djinns and dragons, that are supposed to be stronger than others, are by fact much harder to beat because they use serious cards.

Give it a try: you just have to unpack the archive in the game folder and replace the old decks.
0rion79

Postby EviL_CLonE » 12 Jun 2009, 16:38

I always beat him using Stasis. It's kind like:

4 Stasis
4 Kismet
4 Black Vise
4 Howling Mine
4 Boomerang
4 Ancestral Recall
4 Counterspell
4 Force Spike
1 Feldon's Cane
3 Ivory Tower
1 Serra Angel
4 Tundra
1 City of Brass
The remaining 18 cards are a combination of Islands and any amount of Mox Sapphire.
EviL_CLonE

Postby gimlet » 14 Jun 2009, 17:05

Good morning a,ll

I hope this is the correct forum to post this under (yes, a newbie here :) ).
I had been running the original Magic: The Gathering / Shandalar fine on a single core machine under XP with "turbo.exe" to slow it down. All was fine until the machine died. I've changed the mobo to a dual core pentium, and of course the game becomes unplayable, due to speed. I found the manalink132.zip file and it said I had to install manalink first. So I found the MLUS_11 files and installed them (after creating the registry entry for the game). Then the previous update (which said it would fix the speed issue) installed fine. So speed in Shandalar is now fine. But now I have 2 issues: 1) all duels start out with me at -1 life - obviously not good. And 2) the scenery is completely messed up, with multiply duplicated houses, walk-on-able water, etc. Any ideas on how to fix this? Please?

- gimlet
gimlet

Postby gimlet » 20 Jun 2009, 21:01

So - no help? Ah well. Will have to look elsewhere then.
gimlet

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Jun 2009, 21:40

You're making this way harder than it should be, so no wonder you're having trouble. You don't need to install the 1.32 patch, it's obsolete. You don't need to make a registry entry, and I don't know what MLUS_11 files are either.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby gimlet » 21 Jun 2009, 15:34

Huggybaby wrote:You're making this way harder than it should be, so no wonder you're having trouble. You don't need to install the 1.32 patch, it's obsolete. You don't need to make a registry entry, and I don't know what MLUS_11 files are either.
Thank you for the kind reply. If there is an easier way, is there a wiki that tells me how to set up Shandalar (original single player MTG game, not online) to actually be playable on a dual core fast machine? Everything I've seen says that I have to install the 132 patch, and that patch requires the manalink patch first (files mlus1_11.zip through mlus6_11.zip). From http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/~yuan/magic.html, I got the instructions, which says "There is a brand new patch for Windows XP users which fixes speed issues (Shandalar too fast) and other bugs: Manalink 1.32 (2.6M ZIP)."

I have since tried to do the above instructions on my older single core machine, and gotten the same result - speed is indeed fixed, but shandalar is messed up. I have the image at photobucket http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/chagin1/shandalarpostmanalink.jpg which shows the messed up map and the lives at -1 when starting shandalar.

- Gimlet [chagin1 <at> yahoo <dot> com]
gimlet

Postby Huggybaby » 21 Jun 2009, 19:15

It sounds like you're following some directions from elsewhere on the internet. Please go here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=898 and download Mok's Manalink 2.0 version, and try that. No installation or patching is necessary, just unrar it and run it. Let me know how it works.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby gimlet » 22 Jun 2009, 19:40

Huggybaby wrote:... Please go here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=898 and download Mok's Manalink 2.0 version, and try that. No installation or patching is necessary, just unrar it and run it. Let me know how it works.
Thank you muchly! The 2.0 (part 1 and 2) unrar'd fine and then I overlaid it with the 2.01 update. Magic now works fine, although learning the new cards will be ... interesting :) . Problem solved! :D

- Gimlet
gimlet

Postby Tyrael » 23 Jun 2009, 00:00

So, still no news about adding new cards to my favorite part of Microprose Magic - Shandalar? :(
Tyrael

Postby darko121 » 06 Jul 2009, 12:23

Bump.... Sorry about that. But I need help, I cannot do anything in shandalar when I start a duel with any opponent. Random fog effects kick in and I die from poison counters because apparently all of my opponents creatures can deal damage to me when they block and they all magically gain poisonous 1....
darko121

Postby Dynnys » 06 Aug 2009, 15:31

Howdy,

I've been having some issues with Moat. It worked fine for awhile, but now it seems to stop ALL creatures from being able to attack.

I'm an idiot when it comes to coding....is this fixable?

Thanks!
Dynnys

Postby vaarsuvius » 03 Sep 2009, 18:41

Hi everybody,

A few weeks ago I was drawn back to Shandalar after reading about it on the Starcitygames website. A quick download and off I go to nostalgia country. The article was on adjusting the AI decks as many of them are clearly very out of date, using only basic card and not the Shandalar cards from SotA and DotP. So I learned how to edit the text files of the AI decks.

I also learned the list of available cards from the expansions. NOTE these are NOT community added newer cards, that only work outside of Shandalar. . I am only talking about the basic additions from Microprose, you know dual lands, juzams... moat etc...

After all it is better if the Tusk Guardian actually has Elephants and Elephant Graveyards... and the Ape lord Without Kird Ape is a bit silly.

Apart from that I just gave all decks better mana, and sometimes a mox or other power card to give the AI a little more power.

Now we come to my question, and reason I found this community, in hope of an answer.

Did anybody ever made a Comprehensive list of ALL usable cards in Shandalar? the 'master' lists shows the complete sets from Air Elemental 0000 to Rubinia Soulsinger 0952.. And everything in between. However , many cards just won't work in Shandalar.. ALL Multicolor cards don't work. If you include them in an AI deck, the AI will cast a 2/2 flying Primal Clay without artwork and crash.

So I removed every golden card from my AI decks.. However I found out that certain other cards ALSO won't work.. Like Concordant Crossroads... (ID 0599)

Because I like making the best possible decks for the various AI monsters in Shandalar I want to know which cards exactly won't work.
vaarsuvius

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar