It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:17

Text Size

Shandalar

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Shandalar

Postby mathusalem » 23 Dec 2009, 12:28

that's strange, I have played shandalar very recently and all cards had the correct images. the image bugs you are describing are bugs I had noticed a year ago. when a few cards had been replaced by new cards (among which Wall of Blossoms), when Sky Marshall and harrypitfall joined the ball and found out how to add new cards, the ols cards where reimplemented in their original ID and this bugs ceased to exist.

So yeah it seems you are using an old version of the game. i would suggest downloading the more recent image patch, that should fix the problem.
mathusalem

Postby Bog Wraith » 23 Dec 2009, 13:38

Tapani wrote:
I just tried a clean install of Moks Manalink 2.0, the cards in the editor does not match what I get inside a Shandalar duel. For instance, load the "Laura" save game, and check the deck. That green wall that allows you to draw a card appears as a purelace in a duel.

Also do a file compare between the Cards1.dat and the original Cards.dat, you'll see that they differ.

//Tapani
You are playing with MY version that I uploaded to Huggy that was used as the initial download install for our members. Laura is my wife, and that is her saved game that she used from that particular install. I left it in their for those who had not played Shandalar to see what a game in progress might look like, for instance in deck design, how the map was revealed, quest completed, etc. That install was patched countless times over a long period and I'm sure is the cause of allot of the anomalies seen now. I had some issues with it from time to time, so it isn't surprising to me that this problem your seeing is occurring from this install!

The base for that original install are from my two discs of the game; "Duels of the Planeswalkers & Spells of the Ancients" I used that install for a long time and patched it countless times and have since deleted and replaced it with a fresh one during the last year or so. I now use Hip's version of the all in one install that we were testing last spring and patch from there.

I always have had multiple installs of the game on my Windows machines, some for testing purposes, others to maintain the original install, others for ManaLink and yet others for alternative mods that were being done by folks like Fran to ManaLink, (original members of Mok's team will remember this fondly; Hi Fran! 8) )

As I said, it was used as the initial download for folks who were looking for it here and was done so as to get something up a.s.a.p. after the old ManaLink site went bye bye last February and we moved to this, Goblin Hero's great site!

So I wouldn't make any final determination on the interaction of Shandalar & ManaLink based solely on the install you are using. I'm not saying your wrong, but that install is far from a true representation of the original, nor where ManaLink is today.

BTW, I now also have Manalink running on my iMac using VirtualBox. I can not tell you all how freakin' 8) 8) 8) it is being able to run ManaLink on my Mac after wanting to do this for so many years! The game, card art & new GUI done by our great members is sssssmokin' hot on my 24" beauty!

Have a look!
Attachments
imac.jpg
Windows running on VirtualBox on my iMac!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby mathusalem » 23 Dec 2009, 14:23

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

24 inches screen !

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I want the same
mathusalem

Postby Bog Wraith » 23 Dec 2009, 14:26

Well, as you can see Mathy, I honor you by choosing your graphics as my default setup. I just love the look of your backgrounds & Handskins!

Mathy Rocks!
Always has, always will!! 8)
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby mathusalem » 23 Dec 2009, 14:53

:oops: kuddos wraith !
mathusalem

Postby Tapani » 24 Dec 2009, 21:14

Bog Wraith, mathusalem

Thank you. Maybe having clear instructions and links to the correct downloads somewhere could help people experiencing problems with Shandalar and graphics (if they do not like my patched version). Since the links to Mok's manalink are to Bog Wraiths version, which has some issues (and if you update, other issues appear).

Anyway, personally, I have no problems with it since I prefer my own Shandalar version. Just trying to point out that people who has not been in the loop might run into problems.

//Tapani
Tapani

Postby Agame » 31 Dec 2009, 00:18

When playing Shandalar I start with 10 life at first, but after playing for a few hours I begin starting with 9 life, then 8 life a little while after that. Why is this happening and how can I get back to 10 life?
Agame

Postby mathusalem » 31 Dec 2009, 00:24

to start with a hgher life you have to complete quests. In some villages the wise man sometimes offer you to deliver a message to his brother in another villge, in exchange you will be given a "mana link" which will increase your starting life by a point.

However as the game proceeds evil magicians attack villages. If a magician thus takes avoer a village that has given you a manalink, the link is "broken" and you lose the extra life that was granted. in some castles as well if you fail to beat the castle, you lose a manalink.

so to sum up, you have to perform a few quests to start with a "comfortable" starting life.
mathusalem

Postby hiddenberg » 02 Jan 2010, 22:18

hi, i recently downloaded the game few days back, it gives fun memories of the game, right now im into shandalar adventuring part of the game and i was hoping to find patches that gives newer cards on shandalar and stumbled upon this topic.. i was wondering if there is any new patch for new cards for shandalar? its kinda boring playing with the old cards on the quests.. well i am still searching cool stuff on this site, never knew there are people working on this game. I think your doing a great job here.
hiddenberg

Postby Bog Wraith » 03 Jan 2010, 01:14

No, the Shandalar module is separate from the main ManaLink program. None of the new cards have been implemented into it as of yet, but maybe one day...

In the meantime, welcome aboard. There is plenty for you to explore & play with. Take a look around the place and have fun! :)
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby hiddenberg » 07 Jan 2010, 19:00

Bog Wraith wrote:No, the Shandalar module is separate from the main ManaLink program. None of the new cards have been implemented into it as of yet, but maybe one day...

In the meantime, welcome aboard. There is plenty for you to explore & play with. Take a look around the place and have fun! :)
Thanks for the warm welcome! After several days of re-living my shandalar days again, I have a question if anyone have an answer.. its about the 500 card limit on shandalar.. is there a way to raise this limit like tweak on something so I can collect most of the cards and try different types of deck on shandalar?

I am hoping that one day a modern version of shandalar will come out or anything like it but I think WOTC will not release such a thing, as what I read on someones blog cant really remember the name, sales of the real MTG cards will go down if they made such a game, well who would buy the card if you could play with AIs... he has a point... so goes my hopes...

well for now I will stick with the old 1990s MTG computer game LOL, well not that I dont have the real stuff, I stopped collecting the cards after the mercadian block but It was short lived ursa to mercadian... maybe after shandalar ill try the deck builder duels vs AIs have seen alot of updates on the forum but I really have no idea on the new cards after mercadian.. LOL tnx again bog wraith!
hiddenberg

Postby jhamma66 » 14 Jan 2010, 18:45

I'm looking for advice... my Shandalar is now crashing any time I am in a town and attempt to buy/sell cards. Has anyone else had this problem? It seems to have coincided with one of my saved games where I approached the card limit (but was still under 500 cards owned). Any ideas out there?
jhamma66

Postby DrJones » 16 Jan 2010, 00:29

It's the same for me. it's not a savegame fault, because it also happens with a new game.
DrJones

Postby braingeyser » 25 Sep 2010, 04:44

Hello, everybody, and thank you all guys who made this game work properly. I'm a huge fan of this game and I couldn't play it in a long time.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if there is some way to fix this: the cards in Shandalar keep changing ilustration. I mean, Serra Angel has the 4th Edition art, but also other two editions' art. I would like to play the game showing only the original art, from the correct editions (4th Ed., The Dark, Antiquities, Legends, Arabian Nights).

Is there any way I can fix this?

Thank you all again!
braingeyser

Postby braingeyser » 25 Sep 2010, 06:54

I think I've found a way do fix it.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=2900&p=42994#p42994

If I did something wrong, please tell me. Thanks!
braingeyser

Previous

Return to Shandalar