It is currently 22 Apr 2024, 23:13

Text Size

Old MTG Duels CD rom question

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Old MTG Duels CD rom question

Postby scottd2104 » 12 Jan 2013, 16:27

I discovered my old CD rom of MTG Duels of the Planeswalkers that ran on Windows 95, and also the Spells of the Ancients. I had previously tried installing this game a few years back on Win XP, but couldn't even get past the install screen due to incompatibility. With Win 8, it will act like it is installing, but never truly does, or so it seems. Anyone know if there is a workaround to install on Win 8? I am an old school MTG player who started at the height of 3rd edition, so this game brings back a lot of memories.

Thanks!
scottd2104

Re: Old MTG Duels CD rom question

Postby CirothUngol » 13 Jan 2013, 15:49

It's actually the install process, not the game itself, that seems mostly incompatible with modern Windows OSes. If you'd just like to play the original game you can grab a complete portable install in my MtG Download Folder. Check my signature and look for \Manalink 1.3.2\MtG_DotP_Manalink_132.rar. That's the full original DotP game with fixes pre-installed, and it should work fine on Windows 95\98\2K\XP\Vista\7.

If you'd still like to install your old CD, you'll probably need a Win98 Virtual Machine... I've never been able to install it on WinXP or higher.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Return to Shandalar