It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:01

Text Size

Thoughts about Magarena

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Thoughts about Magarena

Postby VladVoivode » 06 Jan 2015, 12:52

Hi all,

I was on another forum and a member was complaining that Magarena has a lousy AI (NOT true) and that it isn't "real" M:TG - in my opinion ALSO not true. I am not a Magarena developer just a person who loves the game and I thought I would share my thoughts about this superb game for anyone who is confused as to what it's all about. Don't judge a book by its cover is a venerable trope that is appropriate here.

Magarena's site will tell you that the game "is based upon a well known collectible card game." I surmise that some people miss the "based upon" part of the statement. Magarena introduces a few rules that are not "canonical" but that does not mean it is not M:TG. Manalink 3.0 has an interesting mode called SPAT which really upends canonical MTG but is nonetheless a blast to play.

Back to Magarena. The way I play it is by using the deck generator to create random decks based upon parameters I choose. While there are pre-made decks and you CAN create your own decks, for me, the random decks are the way to really enjoy this tough and smart game that loves to punch your face. Kudos to Ubeefx, Melvin, Shawnie Boy, and others who develop this brilliant game!

Imagine that you can select what color or colors you can play. There are quite a few choices available. You allow the deck generator to create decks for you and the AI. Now, you CAN have the generator keep creating decks until you find one you like but, if you really want to test your MTG chops in a different and quite challenging way, resist doing this. Rather, imagine that you and your AI opponent - configurable and with two different types of AI - are each given a deck of 40 cards (yep, 40) and THAT is what you have to play with. Except for lands, there is only one copy of any card in these decks. That's right, no decks with 16 instances of Relentless Rats to rely upon with Thrumming Stone. You gots what ya got and ya gots ta battle it out. What happens is wonderful in that all of the paradigms you hold sacred in MTG are out the proverbial window. All of a sudden, you realize that you have one and only one Murderous Cut for instance. Once you play it, unless there is a card that brings it back, it's cast and gone from your library. And you realize that the big fattie you are wanting to cast may meet a rather brutal and untimely end and there are no more copies of that creature. Whether intentional or not, the developers make you more attached so to speak to your creatures and spells. [I would like to think it IS intentional].

Your tactics have to be razor sharp because the AI - especially the Monte Carlo AI - is almost human and for the most part it plays brilliantly. Add to that the fact that some cards in that randomized deck don't have other cards with which synergies exist so you have to figure out ways to use that card. What I have found in playing Magarena is that it has sharpened my "orthodox" MTG rather profoundly.

This is not a game for testing cards and combos at its heart and I like that. Besides, we have Forge, Manalink, BotArena, and others to do that - all brilliant in their own way with strengths and weaknesses - and of course there is MTGO for human vs. human. Rather this is a game that while based upon MTG takes it in a brilliant new direction such that I would love to see its model as a possible sanctioned type of format. (It is a sort of EDH but without the general and of course fewer cards).

If you are strictly a "by the canon rules MTG player," I strongly urge you to give Magarena a go. I think you will find it quite challenging! If you are a player that loves games and especially games that pull you out of your comfort zone, then again, Magarena is a wonderful alternative.

It currently has a card pool of approximately 8600 cards so no, you can't play with every card ever created, but, even if the devs stopped at this number and chose not to implement all of the "missing" cards, this is a game you could play literally forever when you think of the combinations and permutations from this still rather sizable card pool. (Actually, in Magarena, permutations are more accurate because except for lands, since you only have one copy of each card in your deck and if for instance 16 lands are included, you still have 24 factorial (24! in notation) permutations because order DOES count. How much is 24! you ask? Here it is: 620448401733239439360000. You can NEVER in a million lifetimes encounter every possible deck nor play the same deck in a single life time or MANY and see all possible orderings - obviously the same holds true for conventional MTG as well).

Please play it and think outside of the comfort of sets, blocks, etc. It;s a great approach and a fun time even when you get your face punched repeatedly. ;)

Thanks again guys for a splendid game!!

Vlad
VladVoivode

Re: Thoughts about Magarena

Postby Huggybaby » 08 Jan 2015, 05:53

Thanks for the comments.

Tell that guy who thinks Magarena has a lousy AI to come here and tell us about a better alternative, because I don't know of one.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby hong yie » 08 Jan 2015, 06:18

i got my face punched repeatedly by the Monte Carlo, mostly when the Ai surprise me with sudden blocker (with flash), cast at the final moment to take down my will be hero. I found this experience to be interesting & enjoyable. :)
hong yie
Programmer

Postby VladVoivode » 09 Jan 2015, 00:57

Huggybaby wrote:Thanks for the comments.

Tell that guy who thinks Magarena has a lousy AI to come here and tell us about a better alternative, because I don't know of one.
Hi Huggybaby,

Funny you should mention that as I am joining that site specifically to educate that person. 8)
VladVoivode

Postby VladVoivode » 09 Jan 2015, 00:59

hong yie wrote:i got my face punched repeatedly by the Monte Carlo, mostly when the Ai surprise me with sudden blocker (with flash), cast at the final moment to take down my will be hero. I found this experience to be interesting & enjoyable. :)
Bravo!! That is PRECISELY what I was trying to communicate concerning Magarena. The AI is scary good and I feel that when I win a match I have really played well. :) (I still love it when it frequently wipes the floor with me too).
VladVoivode

Return to Magarena