It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:50

Text Size

List of unsupported card groups

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

List of unsupported card groups

Postby PalladiaMors » 24 Feb 2015, 13:35

If you notice any mistakes on the list, either in the group descriptions, number estimates or particularly if you know relevant groups that are missing from it, please say something so I can correct the info.

This is a list of unimplemented card groups, with card examples. Notice that it's only listing groups with at least 10 cards with similar text.

The two major unsupported card groups are:

- Cards that add multiple mana to the mana pool (Black Lotus, Dark Ritual), cause other cards to produce multiple mana (High Tide) or otherwise require the mana pool (Omnath, Locus of Mana). Activated abilities that generate mana and aren't mana abilities (Deathrite Shaman). Cards that can produce multiple mana during a turn and require choices when activated (Squandered Resources, Agent of Stromgald). In total, these amount to several hundred cards.

- Spells or effects that require or allow multiple target choices: Dust to Dust, Pyrotechnics, Azorius Ploy, Redirect. This is the largest group of unsupported cards, with over a thousand cards.

Besides those, there are several smaller card groups:

- Some abilities that reduce casting costs such as Convoke (35 cards - Overwhelm) and Delve (22 cards - Tombstalker).

- Cards with the keyword Scry 2 or greater and a few others that involve searching/looking at the top cards of the library, rearranging and placing them back on top of the library. About 20 cards (Magma Jet).

- Split cards (Fire/Ice) - 38 cards.

- Cards with static or triggered abilities that work while they're in the graveyard. About 100 cards, such as Wonder, Genesis, Nether Shadow. Includes the 13 cards with dredge (Moldervine Cloak).

- Cards that require looking at the opponent's hand or revealing cards from a player's hand (Coercion, Glasses of Urza, Silvergill Adept). In total this category amounts to >120 cards. The 27 cards with Splice onto Arcane (Spiritual Visit) form a significant subgroup.

- Preventing damage from a source of your choice (Circle of Protection: Red, Reverse Damage). Redirecting damage (Reverberation, Nomads en-Kor). About 90 cards.

- Some combat related abilities: creatures able to block multiple attackers or that can only be blocked by more than one blocker. Forcing creatures to block (including the provoke keyword). Creatures that require remembering damage dealt in combat for abilities or effects. Probably about 100 unimplementable cards for these reasons: Avatar of Hope, Sengir Vampire, Lure.

- Abilities that can be activated by either player. 37 cards. Ribbon Snake, Ifh-Biff Efreet

- Some alternative casting costs, e.g. giving life to your opponent (Reverent Silence). Some casting conditions such as "cast only during combat after blockers are declared" (Flash Foliage). Cards with two different kickers (Thornscape Battlemage). About 40 cards.

- Choosing a creature type - 52 cards. Extinction.

- Skipping or repeating phases or steps (Necropotence, Relentless Assault), or cards that require remembering turn order (Serra Avenger). Remembering whether a creature attacked or blocked on the current turn (Erg Raiders, Fyndhorn Druid), or when a card has entered the battlefield (Novijen, Heart of Progress, Premature Burial). Permanently remembering the target or amount of an effect (Laquatus's Champion, Soulgorger Orgg, Reverse Polarity). About 80 cards.

- Cards with abilities or costs that require only spending mana of a certain type, or check for the type of mana spent to cast/activate them for various effects (Drain Life, Imperiosaur, Azorius Herald). Also, cards that generate mana that can only be spent for specific things (Ancient Ziggurat, Pillar of the Paruns). Cards with Sunburst (Engineered Explosives) - 16 cards. About 100 cards in total.

- Interacting with the sideboard (Cunning Wish), changing a card's text (Magical Hack), naming a card (Meddling Mage), separating cards into piles (Liliana of the Veil), playing with the library's top card revealed (Courser of Kruphix). ~60 cards.

- Spells or activated abilities with an X mana cost that ask for a target with converted mana cost X (Detonate, Gorilla Shaman). Magarena requires a viable target in order to allow the ability to be activated, but in this case having a viable target requires activating the ability. About 40 cards.

- Modal spells that require choosing two modes (Cryptic Command), "modal" permanents (Roots of Life, Citadel Siege). ~30 cards.

- Cards that require or allow choosing an X amount or any number, when that's not related to the card's casting cost or an ability's activation cost, or the etb ability Devour. Examples: Scapeshift, Volt Charge, Hatred, Phyrexian Dreadnought. This group consists in >100 cards.

- Banding - 49 cards - Pikemen, Master of the Hunt

- Phasing - 32 cards - Breezekeeper, Teferi's Veil

- Suspend - 59 cards - Ancestral Vision, Delay

Latest edit: Cards that involve searching cards from the library and placing some or all of them on the bottom of the library were implemented, this enables a lot of new cards.
Last edited by PalladiaMors on 09 Jun 2016, 17:27, edited 45 times in total.
PalladiaMors

Re: List of unsupported card groups

Postby Lodici » 24 Feb 2015, 13:51

PalladiaMors wrote:This list has been edited far too many times in the 50% topic and is now at the bottom of the page, but it was a big effort and I believe it has valuable information and now merits its own topic...
Ask @melvin or @huggybaby to make this a sticky topic so it will always stay at or near the top of the list.
Lodici
Programmer

Postby Huggybaby » 24 Feb 2015, 15:26

Stickied. :)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby ShawnieBoy » 05 Apr 2015, 00:30

Should make your day @PalladiaMors - Witch's Mist now makes Future Sight 50% complete.

"creature that was dealt damage this turn" implemented.
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby melvin » 12 Apr 2015, 04:01

Cards with abilities that work while they're in the graveyard
All activated abilities can be implemented in groovy code, so Glory is implementable.

Update: implemented Glory in
https://github.com/magarena/magarena/co ... 744e88cf5d

Flipping coins
No issue with this, except there is no UI to show the coin being flipped. We can generate random values in groovy code, see https://github.com/magarena/magarena/bl ... rse.groovy
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby melvin » 12 Apr 2015, 09:18

Recognizing where a card entered the battlefield from
As of https://github.com/magarena/magarena/co ... 663c4dfa92, able to deduce where a card on stack comes from and whether a permanent is cast from hand.

Added relevant cards in https://github.com/magarena/magarena/co ... 12c8c83f58
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby Lodici » 12 Apr 2015, 10:38

melvin wrote:No issue with this, except there is no UI to show the coin being flipped. We can generate random values in groovy code, see https://github.com/magarena/magarena/bl ... rse.groovy
In lieu of a fancy spinning coin image, could you not initially add a prompt/choice to the user action panel with something like "A coin is flipped, make your choice..." with "Heads" and "Tails" buttons?
Lodici
Programmer

Postby melvin » 12 Apr 2015, 12:10

Lodici wrote:add a prompt/choice to the user action panel with something like "A coin is flipped, make your choice..." with "Heads" and "Tails" buttons?
I'm thinking of dispensing with the choice entirely since it is a false choice anyway. The result of the toss is fixed since we don't have true randomness during a game. So if the user is able to choose, he/she can observe the result, undo and always make the correct guess which would defeat the purpose. We can update the log to indicate whether you won/lost.
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby Lodici » 12 Apr 2015, 12:30

melvin wrote:I'm thinking of dispensing with the choice entirely since it is a false choice anyway. The result of the toss is fixed since we don't have true randomness during a game. So if the user is able to choose, he/she can observe the result, undo and always make the correct guess which would defeat the purpose. We can update the log to indicate whether you won/lost.
Good point re: undo. If it means you can add 54 new cards I say go with the auto-flip.
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 13 Apr 2015, 13:16

I'd kinda prefer the coin flipping to be non-automatic, I don't think the undo is enough of a concern if it's purely for 'cheating' purposes. You can already view your opponent's hand if you wish. Or undo to the beginning of the game so you know what cards you will be drawing for the match.
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Aswan jaguar » 13 Apr 2015, 13:32

I agree with ShawnieBoy about the flip coin.Also if it is too trouble to make a flip coin animation maybe it is possible to choose heads or tails and then use Manalink's flip coin avis - make the random computation and then use heads or tails avi accordingly?
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Lodici » 13 Apr 2015, 13:43

Aswan jaguar wrote:I agree with ShawnieBoy about the flip coin.Also if it is too trouble to make a flip coin animation maybe it is possible to choose heads or tails and then use Manalink's flip coin avis - make the random computation and then use heads or tails avi accordingly?
Not sure about an AVI but if someone could come up with an animated GIF - or two to be precise (spinning -> heads and spinning -> tails) - that would be 8).
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 13 Apr 2015, 13:46

Lodici wrote:
Aswan jaguar wrote:I agree with ShawnieBoy about the flip coin.Also if it is too trouble to make a flip coin animation maybe it is possible to choose heads or tails and then use Manalink's flip coin avis - make the random computation and then use heads or tails avi accordingly?
Not sure about an AVI but if someone could come up with an animated GIF - or two to be precise (spinning -> heads and spinning -> tails) - that would be 8).
Hehe, I'm not so fussed about animated coins - In the coin-flip decks I prefer they take up too much time :)

My Fave on MTGO (as I have no hand-eye co-ordination for real coin-flipping!) Flippy
Last edited by ShawnieBoy on 13 Apr 2015, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 13 Apr 2015, 13:46

ShawnieBoy wrote:I'd kinda prefer the coin flipping to be non-automatic, I don't think the undo is enough of a concern if it's purely for 'cheating' purposes. You can already view your opponent's hand if you wish. Or undo to the beginning of the game so you know what cards you will be drawing for the match.
Fair point but you've got to start somewhere - think of auto-flip as v1.0.
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 13 Apr 2015, 13:49

I've already got Issue 189 as backup.
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Next

Return to Magarena