Page 3 of 3

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 18:32
by ShawnieBoy
Just a quick thought about the 'any number of' group. As long as these are not targeted, they could be implemented as 'up to X' where X is the max amount. Submitted Genesis Wave in this way.

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2016, 20:41
by PalladiaMors
Updated the OP correcting the info, thanks for pointing this out, ShawnieBoy.

Can I suggest going for Scapeshift when you have some spare time? It's the core of one of the main decks in Modern atm, so I can imagine there would be people who would be interested in using Magarena to practice playing the deck against the AI. In a card like that, I suppose the maximum amount would be determined by counting the number of lands the player controls?

I do worry about the AI's decision making with a card like Scapeshift, though, but in my view one of Magarena's main uses for players is as a practice/training tool, so personally I'd support adding the cards that the players might want to use even if I don't expect the AI to be superb when it ends up with them. How do you guys feel about this?

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2016, 23:35
by ShawnieBoy
PalladiaMors wrote:Updated the OP correcting the info, thanks for pointing this out, ShawnieBoy.

Can I suggest going for Scapeshift when you have some spare time? It's the core of one of the main decks in Modern atm, so I can imagine there would be people who would be interested in using Magarena to practice playing the deck against the AI. In a card like that, I suppose the maximum amount would be determined by counting the number of lands the player controls?

I do worry about the AI's decision making with a card like Scapeshift, though, but in my view one of Magarena's main uses for players is as a practice/training tool, so personally I'd support adding the cards that the players might want to use even if I don't expect the AI to be superb when it ends up with them. How do you guys feel about this?
I think for the moment, choosing from a list of cards is going to be the limit - When it comes to choosing permanents, and permanents to sacrifice in this case, thing's are most likely going to go wrong. Essentially this will be choices where generally you'd want to choose them all but rules cannot word a specific number.

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 01:19
by melvin
I think Scapeshift can follow the style of Devour. It can track the number of lands sacrificed so far as refInt in event. When the player selects "No", the rest of the effect plays out.

AI usage is a concern thought, but until we have an implementation we can't really get the AI to try it.

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 14:15
by PalladiaMors
Guys I'm thinking about adding the "choose a number" group again, since it's a pretty significant amount of cards, and therefore fits the list's objective in informing people about the kind of cards that can't be expected to be added so soon.

Edit: added it again with a slightly better wording.

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 16:31
by PalladiaMors
Lots of new cards coming this month, and it looks like some of the things listed here may have been changed. Can anyone please confirm if searching and rearranging cards from the top of the library is now supported? I noticed Impulse, Prophetic Bolt, among other cards. Looks like just scry 2 or greater remains unsupported?

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 17:06
by ShawnieBoy
Filtering cards is supported, as the choice is just what to keep - Scry 2+ has the problem of choosing where each card goes.

Things being placed in 'any order' are actually the order they were drawn, so would not work with cards being placed on the top of the library, only the bottom. (Even though there are cards that rely on the bottom card of a library, they are far fewer)

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 17:08
by muppet
Collected Company will need to use the MagicFromCardListChoice to select up to two creature. Putting cards in any order has never been allowed, cards will go to the bottom in the same order they were taken from the top.


that's what Melvin said.

I will get back to these I am doing Arlinn Kord at the minute.

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 17:12
by ShawnieBoy
muppet wrote:I will get back to these I am doing Arlinn Kord at the minute.
Be aware that Alinn Kord and many of the planeswalkers can be a bit more tricky than they seem. Most of their + abilities may or may not need a target. This allows loyalty to be gained even if there's no legal target or don't want to target an opponents legal target (hence the 'up to' one creature).

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 18:06
by PalladiaMors
I think the most clearly viable pre-SOI planeswalkers left to code are:

Kiora, the Crashing Wave (extra land ability is available on Magarena, but a bit complex to code)

Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker (probably the easiest of the 3, still a lot of work)

Sorin, Solemn Visitor (last ability is available, again a bit complex)

These are cool challenges for people who are interested in contributing with new cards for Magarena, I've done my part and I'm now retired ;)

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 18:28
by muppet
yes got first half of arlinn fine I just copied an Ajani for the may part. I'm pretty much up to the emblem now.

Sorin has the -x problem I had with Chandra flamecaller so if someone can solve that they are both doable.

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 18:34
by ShawnieBoy
muppet wrote:yes got first half of arlinn fine I just copied an Ajani for the may part. I'm pretty much up to the emblem now.

Sorin has the -x problem I had with Chandra flamecaller so if someone can solve that they are both doable.
Cool - looking into X costs (remove counters, pay life), but delving into the scary side of AI #-o

Re: List of unsupported card groups

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2016, 18:54
by muppet
I was trying to copy banshee which has a weird x cost but I was out of my depth.