It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:49

Text Size

Showcasing Magarena

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Showcasing Magarena

Postby Lodici » 02 Mar 2015, 14:37

Last edited by Lodici on 02 Jan 2016, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.
Lodici
Programmer

Re: Showcasing Magarena gameplay

Postby Lodici » 09 Nov 2015, 08:58

Swartdraak putting 1.66 through its paces, in Portuguese - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IuHbvjBfqc
Lodici
Programmer

Postby PalladiaMors » 11 Nov 2015, 14:13

Since the video is a review, I thought a translation of the first couple minutes could be of interest?

Swartdraak wrote:Here's Swartdraak and I'll showcase Magarena a bit, it's a free Magic game. There's a catch: it doesn't have every card in the game. All cards until Origins are listed, the new Zendikar expansion isn't available yet. But it does have plenty of cards, people. If you want, it's a very good application to try out. I'll show you the cards that are implemented in the game. We have 9794 cards. We also have preconstructed decks. Click on the deck editor, click here, we have 3 types of decks: basic ones, decks from players who upload them to the internet, and Firemind top decks, which are the most commonly used decks nowadays, from tournaments. You can see them and play with them here. You can play with them a bit and have fun. Magarena's point is to have fun.
Pretty interesting to see how he spontaneously calls the AI: he says "you play against the machine". I suppose that's an indication that I was right to avoid using the term "artificial intelligence", it wouldn't be a natural translation. Although I've recently noticed some games using that translation, actually.

Another point that I couldn't help noticing. He starts a match, and on turn 2 the AI puts Arcbound Ravager into play and does the old super-duper insta-sacrifice Ravager to itself for no reason move. He gets noticeably confused: "Honestly, I didn't understand what he did. Let me see. He used Ravager's ability, sacrificing Ravager... Yah I don't understand what he did, honestly". (4:23)

He then ignores the situation and just continues playing.

If I don't know Magarena beforehand and am watching this video to figure out if it's worth playing, I probably give up by this point.
PalladiaMors

Postby ShawnieBoy » 11 Nov 2015, 14:40

Possibly an 'Activate this ability with AI only if you control another artifact' would help here.

I do like seeing others review/play magarena, even if the auto-generated subtitles are quite hilarious (Magarena -> Margarine) - Thanks for the intro translation!
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Re: Showcasing Magarena

Postby Lodici » 02 Jan 2016, 11:13

Magarena has made it into the top five of the official* Best open source games of 2015 list. Yay!

* :wink:
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 04 Jan 2016, 00:36

Lodici wrote:Magarena has made it into the top five of the official* Best open source games of 2015 list. Yay!

* :wink:
That's real cool! =D>
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 17 Mar 2016, 11:55

Interestingly Magarena 1.70 has been added to the apps store in the Deepin linux distro.

ScreenShot00498.jpg

It runs ok but will not let me download any images because of restricted folder permissions I think. It crashed when I tried to access Firemind Top Decks! However I was able to start a game using the missing image proxies without any problems.
Lodici
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 17 Mar 2016, 23:04

That's interesting - shame they didn't use the Magarena logo
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 18 Mar 2016, 13:11

ShawnieBoy wrote:That's interesting - shame they didn't use the Magarena logo
Yes, I noticed that too, it does kind of stick out. Presumably whoever packaged it must have used their own image. I also noticed that when first run after installing it goes straight to the menu, it does not ask you for your preferred language or if you want to import a previous version. I am guessing that a snapshot is taken of the Magarena installation folder which is then packaged to be compatible with the Deepin apps store. Will be interesting to see whether it gets updated to 1.71.
Lodici
Programmer

Return to Magarena