It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:29

Text Size

Combat damage assignment doesn't happen properly.

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Combat damage assignment doesn't happen properly.

Postby marq » 18 Dec 2010, 18:27

Firstly let me tell you that your AI is frustrating the bejeepers out of me with its combat tricks! Just a quick example of its trickyness.

Game State (relevant to example):
Opponents Board:
Baneslayer Angel
Glorious Anthem

My Board:
Windbrisk Raptor
Ronin Warclub (attached to Raptor)

Action Sequence:
Baneslayer attacks (Currently a 6/6 from Anthem)
I block with Raptor (Currently a 7/8 from Warclub)
AI Casts Zealous Persecution!!! GAH!!

Anyways, that was an awesome little combat trick from your AI, so good but so frustrating for me, lol!!

So, done with that compliment (oh, and your undo support is supper awesome and allowing me to show you my problem!) and onto the minor problem I'm having.

Damage order should be assigned by the creatures controller, according to comprehensive rule 509.2 (at least that's the section pertinent to my problem). Right now I've lost my Chimeric Mass, which is ok with me, but I wanted to kill that darn Seraph as I can't reliably kill it if the AI doesn't attack with it and also that Anthem is getting in my way, lol.

GamestateShot1.png
Blockers declared.

GamestateShot2.png
Damage assigned but I couldn't put more damage on Gaurdian Seraph :(.

I didn't see a bugs/feature requests thread and I wasn't sure if you wanted this kind of report here or on your google code project so please, if this isn't the place just let me know!

Wonderful work on this app and I'd like to help without forking your code if you could use the assistance.
marq

Re: Combat damage assignment doesn't happen properly.

Postby marq » 18 Dec 2010, 20:09

Oops, looks like this was a design decision, my bad, I didn't completely read your first page of your project :(. I actually ended up winning that game on the skin of my teeth btw :P. Let me also just say that I'm loving this app already... do you plan on extending it to become more of a deck tester or are you sticking to your guns on your other design/implementation decisions?
marq

Re: Combat damage assignment doesn't happen properly.

Postby ubeefx » 18 Dec 2010, 20:24

Hi marq

The AI is indeed not afraid to use some nasty combat tricks. :D

For bug reports or feature requests, you can use the issues page of the Google project.
You can of course post it in the forum too if you prefer that, I will create a bugs report and a feature request thread.

You are right that Magarena is implementing the rules for combat differently. I added to the page that blockers order is currently determined by defending player in Magarena, that was indeed missing. See the rule differences topic on the main page. This makes life a bit simpler for the AI and also makes the combat phase smoother because less choices need to be made. Good thing is that this is implemented consistently for both players, but it differs from real Magic. To be honest I personally do not see the need to make Magarena fully rule compliant, because that will not make the game necessarily more fun to play. But when there are rule differences or bugs not mentioned on the page, like those reported by nantuko84 and eidolon, than I will certainly try to fix them if possible.

Help with Magarena is always welcome, as long as the major design goals of the game can be obtained.
I will not be able to work continuously on this project. Having multiple people on the project would of course allow more frequent releases. I did a lot of work this month to improve Magarena with the initial feedback I got and I think it has become already much better. Please PM me with what you would like to do or help with.

ubeefx
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Return to Magarena