It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:42

Text Size

Bug reports

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Bug reports

Postby melvin » 07 Feb 2015, 14:25

sponeta wrote:Might be something there. I tried a test game. The slowdown became noticeable with 4 legendaries (3 lands, 1 creature). Then I stopped adding legendaries to the battlefield, played for 10 more turns, and it didn't slow down further. Then I added 3 more legendaries, and it slowed down further. I did a replay, and used different legendaries, but the result was the same. So it's probably not any specific card.
Did the slow down occur as soon as when the legendaries are on the field or did you have to play a couple of turns into the game with the legendaries around? Wanted to confirm if number of turns had any effect.
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby sponeta » 07 Feb 2015, 14:45

melvin wrote:
sponeta wrote:Might be something there. I tried a test game. The slowdown became noticeable with 4 legendaries (3 lands, 1 creature). Then I stopped adding legendaries to the battlefield, played for 10 more turns, and it didn't slow down further. Then I added 3 more legendaries, and it slowed down further. I did a replay, and used different legendaries, but the result was the same. So it's probably not any specific card.
Did the slow down occur as soon as when the legendaries are on the field or did you have to play a couple of turns into the game with the legendaries around? Wanted to confirm if number of turns had any effect.
The slowdown started immediately when I added the last 3 legendaries. Even casting the third one was slower.
sponeta
Tester

Postby melvin » 08 Feb 2015, 03:48

sponeta wrote:The slowdown started immediately when I added the last 3 legendaries. Even casting the third one was slower.
I created a test case with all legendaries in play (6 lands and 4 creatures on each side) and there was no slow down.

I tried to play a few test games with the deck with MMAB level 1, both players using the Legends Rise deck, also no slow down.

sponeta: In your case, does the slow down occur in all cases the deck is played and at least 4 legendaries are on the field?
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby muppet » 08 Feb 2015, 10:27

Not a Bug. A.I. played Ghost Quarter turn one and immediately sacrificed it targeting nothing. This seems to need a target too on the opponents side. I have seen it sacrifice the ghost quarter and target its own land which is actually not 100% insane as you can gain 1 colored mana if desperate or if playing a combo deck for example eggs.
muppet
Tester

Postby sponeta » 08 Feb 2015, 12:22

melvin wrote:
sponeta wrote:The slowdown started immediately when I added the last 3 legendaries. Even casting the third one was slower.
I created a test case with all legendaries in play (6 lands and 4 creatures on each side) and there was no slow down.

I tried to play a few test games with the deck with MMAB level 1, both players using the Legends Rise deck, also no slow down.

sponeta: In your case, does the slow down occur in all cases the deck is played and at least 4 legendaries are on the field?
I've played about 20 games with that deck, and the slowdown has happened every time. It's incremental though. At 4 legendaries it's just barely noticeable, but increases with each additional legendary. Legendary creatures seem to have slightly more effect than lands.

Maybe my computer just isn't fast enough to play Magarena? I should note that with other decks, I see the beginnings of similar slowdown in long games when there are lots of cards in play, maybe around 50+, regardless of legendaries. A good example is the Lord of Land deck, where games last very long and just the human player easily has over 20 lands and 20 creatures in play. But something about legendaries just seems to make it slow down more rapidly.

I also tested it again with various AIs. It happens with all, but with MCTSC the slowdown is more rapid. With 4 legendaries MCTSC was noticeably slower than MMAB, even though MMAB did slow down just a little bit.
sponeta
Tester

Postby muppet » 08 Feb 2015, 21:03

Magus of the Tabernacle keeps its abilities under Humility.
muppet
Tester

Postby melvin » 09 Feb 2015, 00:20

muppet wrote:Magus of the Tabernacle keeps its abilities under Humility.
Thanks, tracking as https://github.com/magarena/magarena/issues/63
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby melvin » 09 Feb 2015, 00:22

sponeta wrote:I've played about 20 games with that deck, and the slowdown has happened every time.
Is the AI also playing the same deck? If not, what is the deck the AI is using?

After playing a game with slow down, please attach the Magarena/log/game.log file here, it will help in our analysis.

sponeta wrote:I also tested it again with various AIs. It happens with all, but with MCTSC the slowdown is more rapid. With 4 legendaries MCTSC was noticeably slower than MMAB, even though MMAB did slow down just a little bit.
Thanks for the hints. I'll include more legendary creatures in my test and switch to MCTSC level 6.
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby muppet » 09 Feb 2015, 12:50

Bug but it might be better than fixing it. I can not equip my creature with an equipment that it already has equipped which I shd be able to do. This will make the A. I. insane I expect if it is allowed to do it. I was only trying to do this because I needed to use mana and this was the only mana sink I had.
muppet
Tester

Postby Lodici » 09 Feb 2015, 15:52

sponeta wrote:I've played about 20 games with that deck, and the slowdown has happened every time.
It could be a memory issue (ie. lack of). When it slows down do you notice increased hard drive activity? Issues like this, you want to remove as many variables as possible to help isolate the possible cause. Ensure the following settings before starting a game should take out possible UI side-effects. -
  • Gameplay -> Show game log messages : OFF
  • Gameplay -> Images -> Pause game on popup : OFF
  • Gameplay -> Visual Cues -> Play card animation from AI hand: OFF
Also, during a game you can open the About dialog from the menu screen by clicking on the wizard icon. This dialog contains useful memory stats. It might be useful to make a note of the stats at the very beginning of the game and then again when the slow down starts and post them here (or a screenshot).
Lodici
Programmer

Postby sponeta » 09 Feb 2015, 18:49

OK guys I've gathered some more info. Hope this helps.

Melvin, most of my games have been against random monocolor decks from the ubeefx or standard cube. AI is usually MCTSC 2 or 3 (I find that casual games take too long with higher levels, but sometimes I might play against a harder AI).

Here's a log of a sample game I just played. The slowdown was really noticeable after turn 15. Whenever I click the Next button, the button disappears for half a second, and only then the spinner appears. But the spinner doesn't spin, just stays still for half a second, then changes back to the Next button. It also takes time for cards to be highlighted from the moment I press the Next button.
game.log
(15.06 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

Lodici, those are my default settings I always play with. I haven't noticed any hard drive activity, and task manager didn't show anything noticeable during my test game.

Here's some screenshots.

After launching the program:
magarena1.jpg

Start of game:
magarena2.jpg

End of game:
magarena3.jpg

Task manager and Resource monitor at end of game:
magarena4.jpg

Magarena is installed on the F: drive. The drive activity looks big here but I think resource monitor scales the graphs.

Resource monitor (memory tab):
magarena5.jpg
sponeta
Tester

Postby melvin » 10 Feb 2015, 01:51

sponeta wrote:OK guys I've gathered some more info. Hope this helps.
Thanks, this is very helpful. The first step for us is to gather sufficient details to replicate the issue ourselves, so more info would help us here.

From the game logs, the AI took approx 2s to complete each decision so it doesn't seem to be an issue of the AI taking too long.

I'll try to play some games with the settings you suggested.
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby muppet » 10 Feb 2015, 10:51

Not a bug Hymn to Tourach is cast by A.I. even when opps hand is empty shd be easy to have a sane logic here.

I am slightly suspicious of counter stacks involving Flusterstorm at the minute but will post when I nail something going wrong for sure.
muppet
Tester

Postby sponeta » 14 Feb 2015, 09:51

The ability of Gilt-Leaf Archdruid doesn't work correctly. The card is highlighted even if you have less than 7 druids in play, and you only need to tap as many druids as you have (even if Gilt-Leaf Archdruid is your only druid) to activate the ability.
sponeta
Tester

Postby melvin » 14 Feb 2015, 10:06

sponeta wrote:The ability of Gilt-Leaf Archdruid doesn't work correctly.
Good catch! Fixed in https://github.com/magarena/magarena/co ... c937c51f79
melvin
AI Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Magarena