It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:33

Text Size

Feature requests

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feature requests

Postby epiko » 14 Jan 2011, 15:45

This is the BlackSwamp theme.
Whit this i've finished all the five colors.
Theme will be improved in the next versions, i would like to change all the icons of the game,
but i think it's a nice start for the moment.

Schermata 2011-01-14 a 16.40.32.png
epiko

Postby epiko » 16 Jan 2011, 09:37

DECK UNLOCK

This is a very simple feature to implement, and it will give the game a very interesting gameplay.

At first all the deck are locked. When we create our player we have to choose a deck type.

choose deck type.jpg

At the beginning we can battle against only one deck type from the AI

deck choose.jpg

When we win a duel we unlock the deck type that we defeated and a new deck type for the AI.

DECK TYPE 2.jpg

And so on until we defeated all the deck type and unlocked all the deck

alldecks.jpg

What do you think about it ?
epiko

Postby Boom2010 » 16 Jan 2011, 12:38

Sounds good. Gives some logical progression and structure. At the moment I just take a random game.
Boom2010

Postby ubeefx » 16 Jan 2011, 14:31

When I wrote Magarena, I had a game in mind that you can use to fill a spare 15 to 45 minutes.
That is why I use the generated deck duel approach and the general focus on fast gameplay.
And I think I have achieved this goal. This also explains the lack of any kind of campaign, story or quest mode.

A card game has a significant advantage, it can easily work with unlocking stuff for progress.
Or as Epiko suggests here, unlocking deck color combinations.
I suppose the number of games could be set always to 11 and 6 wins unlocks the colors.
But maybe there should also be additional unlocking like rare cards next to this.
Another thing I thought of is adding vanguard or plane alike cards that can be unlocked.

I described for what I use Magarena, so you can guess I personally do not have a need for such a mode.
But that should be no problem, it is an open source project after all. :)
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby weakling » 18 Jan 2011, 01:46

First, I'd like to say congrats on making an excellent program! I'm pretty new to Magic and have been looking for something in between the painfully limited DOTP PC game and the super serious Magic Online. Magarena is just what I've been looking for.

I totally understand that you intended to make a simple MTG game that you can just sit down and play in a few seconds. Still, in my ideal world, here are some things that I think could really enhance the program:

- I understand that the game is setup so you can quickly play with generated decks but I would love to see more support for customized decks/prebuilt decks.
-- Having a separate deck builder would be awesome. This would also be a great place to include your deck strength calculator.
-- Minimum of 60 cards per deck
-- (More cards. But I know that this is being worked on and will come in time)

- The deck strength calculator is really awesome, especially for a noob like me. It's also interesting to see how a the win % changes when calculated against different CPU decks. I would like to be able to see what cards are in the CPU deck and to be able to calculate against different types of decks without having to create a new duel.

- There are a lot of times in game where I am squinting at text or tiny icons trying to figure out what the state of the board is. Here are a couple things that I think could help:
-- Give players/cards color borders (ie. instead of dimming cards that are playable, put a bold border around them. Also, in addition to the tiny arrow on the left that indicates who's turn it is, add a border to the player/cpu avatar.) If you've ever played the DOTP game for PC/XBox, they do a great job of this type of thing and will even add red to the edges of the screen during combat phases.
-- Some sort of visual indicator of summoning sickness.
-- It would be awesome to be able to toggle/tear away the text readout of the game events. Currently it's just displays on hover. Also, being able to toggle/tear it could allow for hovering over the text and seeing the corresponding cards.
-- As non-land cards come into play, there is and option to click "ok" before the card is placed on the board. It would be nice if there was a space where that card could be displayed so that you didn't have to hover over the text notification in order to read the card details. Again this is something that DOTP does really well. Any time a card comes into play it appears in the center of the screen for you to look at and you can click to continue or mouse-wheel in to maximize the card.

- A campaign mode would be sweet! I read a really cool idea in this thread already about a campaign mode centered around unlocking and building decks. I'm a huge sucker for games with unlocks, so I would be thrilled to see something like this included.

Keep up the great work! It's amazing that this was just released a few months ago. It already looks and feels very professional.
weakling

Postby ubeefx » 18 Jan 2011, 18:38

Thanks! :D

While this game was released 2 months ago, it was in development for 1.5 years. So that explains a lot.
After the initial release I have mainly focused on improving the UI with release 1.7 as a result.

Deck editing is already possible, but you have to use a text editor at the moment.
You can make 60 card decks this way. I understand a UI would be nicer.

Puxl is currently working on adding more cards.
I always thought that card quality would be more important than quantity, which I focused on in Magarena.

Seing cards in CPU deck is already possible, just click on computer player icon.
Also there is a border drawn around player on turn, maybe it is not clearly visible with the theme you use.

Summoning sickness is displayed with the little chain icon on card bottom left corner.
Creatures with haste or that are tapped do not show the icon.

Unfortunately I did not yet play DOTP, but I do not need to, I play Magarena. :)
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby geckoteck » 20 Jan 2011, 12:55

1) be able to float mana, 2) include the capability to do paris mulligans, and 3) it'd be nice if there were an option that if you use a spell or ability and it only has 1 legal target, that it was automatically targetted. (same goes for if i'm blocking and there's only 1 option for who to block, or when it asks me to pass priority when there's literally no other action I could take)
geckoteck

Postby MageKing17 » 20 Jan 2011, 20:43

geckoteck wrote:it'd be nice if there were an option that if you use a spell or ability and it only has 1 legal target, that it was automatically targetted.
Incantus does this. It's quite the timesaver.

gecketeck wrote:be able to float mana
If you allow floating mana, the AI becomes vastly more complicated. I think ubeefx is working on a more advanced project, so it might be able to handle floating mana.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby ubeefx » 20 Jan 2011, 22:12

I was indeed working on the Mad Wizard engine that would allow this,
but unfortunately right now I cannot spare time for a completely new engine. :(
The project is also removed from Google for the time being.

The auto single target is indeed a good idea.
The target filtering is extra helpful for this.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby tennisshoe15 » 21 Jan 2011, 02:40

I apologize if this has already been submitted somewhere, but I was hoping to have the Avatar images just a little bit bigger in size, or the size to be adjustable when playing the game. Is this possible? Thanks
tennisshoe15

Postby gpallis » 23 Jan 2011, 17:11

Magarena is an incredible achievement, I think - it runs like lightning, it's got loads of powerful cards, and the AI is very strong.

The one feature that would make a big difference to me would be a 'playoff' mode - a knockout tournament of 2^n players, all bar one of whom was AI. But even without this, it's terrific fun.
gpallis

Postby ubeefx » 24 Jan 2011, 22:51

There used to be a tournament mode, where you would play against up to 10 computer players, each with a different deck. The win percentage was based on all these played games. For instance, with 7 games per duel and 10 opponents, it would be based on 70 played games. Also deck strength was calculated against all computer decks. But I dropped that for the strictly duel mode because I like to play more often with different decks.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby Boom2010 » 16 Mar 2011, 13:52

It would be really neat to have some sort of historical win/loss record.

Main parameters recorded might be

Date
Win or loss
Difficulty level

After that,
color deck user (one, two or three)
color deck AI (one, two or three)
cube
initial life
etc etc
Boom2010

Postby ubeefx » 16 Mar 2011, 19:55

Historical data might be cool. I will add it to the project page.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby LSK » 06 Apr 2011, 00:51

I'd like a larger, more visual indication as to what phase/step it is and whose turn it is - maybe an image that shows a village for the main phase, combat for the combat phase, or something similar.
LSK

PreviousNext

Return to Magarena