It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:17

Text Size

Magarena 1.16b

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Magarena 1.16b

Postby Aswan jaguar » 06 Aug 2011, 08:14

I like the fast game and in my opinion it would be great if AI could be forced to show for 2 sec what AI played and other 2 what AI targeted.I already used the option not to pass priority and got bored to hit the button all the time,for me I prefer to see the dialogue couple of times and undo if needed than hit the button every single time.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby oneiromancer » 09 Aug 2011, 23:59

melvin wrote:Yay, a Mac user :) Thanks for trying out the new version. Mac support is not as good as it should be as I don't have access to a Mac. I'll need to depend on users, like yourself, to provide feedback on how things are doing.

It looks as if you are starting the game from the command line. I think the issue is that the Magarena.command script assumes that the Magarena.exe program is on the current working directory. So one solution is to first change directory into the application folder before running the command, i.e.
cd /Applications/Magarena-1.16b; Magarena.command

Is it possible to navigate to the folder on the GUI and double click on the Magarena.command file?

Do you know if Mac has the readlink command available?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you; I did eventually get it working, by going into the directory and executing the file from the Terminal. I never did get the double-click-start to work; maybe it isn't supposed to with this file&package type (I program, but its all heavy mathematics in C++ from a Terminal shell; I have essentially no experience with Java packages).

I have been playing the upgrade and enjoying it a great deal; I did notice one thing that may have gone unmentioned so far: I was in a tight corner and needed to Vindicate my Phyrexian Arena before it killed me, but I wasn't allowed to target it.

Thanks again!
oneiromancer

Postby melvin » 10 Aug 2011, 13:30

@Aswan jaguar: Thanks, I too prefer the faster game with less clicks. It will be a little complicated to split the two parts. At the moment, there is a slight pause of 1.5s for each item on the stack to resolve. It will be configurable like the pop up delay in the future. Would that work for you?

@oneiromancer: Thanks for the feedback, glad that you managed to get the program to run. Mac support will be a little poor until I can get my hands on a Mac or we get some developers using the platform on board. Regarding your game, the program "helpfully" remove unusual choices, such as destroying your own permanents. It can be turned off by unchecking "Remove unusual target choices".
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby johncpatterson » 16 Aug 2011, 22:48

oneiromancer wrote:
melvin wrote:Yay, a Mac user :) Thanks for trying out the new version. Mac support is not as good as it should be as I don't have access to a Mac. I'll need to depend on users, like yourself, to provide feedback on how things are doing.

It looks as if you are starting the game from the command line. I think the issue is that the Magarena.command script assumes that the Magarena.exe program is on the current working directory. So one solution is to first change directory into the application folder before running the command, i.e.
cd /Applications/Magarena-1.16b; Magarena.command

Is it possible to navigate to the folder on the GUI and double click on the Magarena.command file?

Do you know if Mac has the readlink command available?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you; I did eventually get it working, by going into the directory and executing the file from the Terminal. I never did get the double-click-start to work; maybe it isn't supposed to with this file&package type (I program, but its all heavy mathematics in C++ from a Terminal shell; I have essentially no experience with Java packages).

I have been playing the upgrade and enjoying it a great deal; I did notice one thing that may have gone unmentioned so far: I was in a tight corner and needed to Vindicate my Phyrexian Arena before it killed me, but I wasn't allowed to target it.

Thanks again!
Hi there, I have a Mac as well and am running into the exact same problem in trying to get Magarena.command to work. Can you tell me exactly what you typed to get it to run in Terminal, as well as where you ended up putting the Magarena folder? Thanks!
johncpatterson

Postby melvin » 17 Aug 2011, 05:13

I don't use a mac but I suggest you could try the following:
1. put the Magarena-1.16b folder in /Applications
2. open terminal and type the following commands (hit enter after each one)
cd /Applications/Magarena-1.16b
./Magarena.command

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby beholder » 17 Aug 2011, 17:13

Huggybaby wrote:I have all those options turned off already, but sometimes I miss things anyway so maybe it's something else catching me off guard. I think it's when the AI takes several actions in a row. Those fly by so I have to go to the messages screen to see what happened.
melvin wrote:Hmm, the AI always passes to the user and let the stack resolved before doing another action. Could be a bug if the AI takes multiple actions without pause. Can you recall a specific example where this happens even with the options turned off?
I've been keeping an eye on this and today I finally saw it happen. On my 2nd main phase the Ai casts a Ashcoat Bear and the message just flies by.
I'm going away for a few days so I don't have time to look at the code soon. Maybe melvin sees where the error is.
If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.
beholder
Programmer

Postby johncpatterson » 17 Aug 2011, 20:34

melvin wrote:I don't use a mac but I suggest you could try the following:
1. put the Magarena-1.16b folder in /Applications
2. open terminal and type the following commands (hit enter after each one)
cd /Applications/Magarena-1.16b
./Magarena.command

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!
Well that worked perfectly, to my dismay. Do you know how I might create a script for those two lines of code as a shortcut? Thanks for the help!
johncpatterson

Postby melvin » 19 Aug 2011, 02:12

I made the script a little smarter, it should work even if you are in a different directory. Download the updated script from http://magarena.googlecode.com/files/Magarena.command

You should be able to run with just
/Applications/Magarena-1.16b/Magarena.command

If you don't mind helping me do a simple test, can you try double clicking on the script in the GUI and see if it works?
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 19 Aug 2011, 17:24

FYI, on August 22 I will post a nice write-up about Magarena on my blog. I describe the great AI and the nice user interface. Just thought you would like to know. :D
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby ubeefx » 19 Aug 2011, 18:11

Thanks mtgrares, looking forward to read it. :)
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby johncpatterson » 20 Aug 2011, 03:16

melvin wrote:I made the script a little smarter, it should work even if you are in a different directory. Download the updated script from http://magarena.googlecode.com/files/Magarena.command

You should be able to run with just
/Applications/Magarena-1.16b/Magarena.command

If you don't mind helping me do a simple test, can you try double clicking on the script in the GUI and see if it works?
Well I tried it, and I couldn't run it since it said "The file “Magarena.command” could not be executed because you do not have appropriate access privileges."

However, I right clicked it and under "Get Info" I made sure I had the right privileges to access it, and I also made sure it wasn't "locked," and that still didn't work. Any ideas?
johncpatterson

Postby melvin » 20 Aug 2011, 04:00

Ah, I think I know what's the problem.. the executable bit is not set on the script. Silly me. I just uploaded a zip of the file, this preserves the executable bit on the script. Download http://magarena.googlecode.com/files/Ma ... ommand.zip and unzip into your Magarena-1.16b folder, overwriting the old script.

Technical note: on *nix, the executable bit on a file needs to be set before you can run it.
Last edited by melvin on 20 Aug 2011, 04:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix typo
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby johncpatterson » 20 Aug 2011, 04:08

melvin wrote:Ah, I think I know what's the problem.. the executable bit is not set on the script. Silly me. I just uploaded a zip of the file, this preserves the executable bit on the script. Download http://magarena.googlecode.com/files/Ma ... ommand.zip and unzip into your Magarena-1.16b folder, overwriting the old script.

Technical node: on *nix, the executable bit on a file needs to be set before you can run it.
Worked perfectly there sir, thank you, but for some reason Magarena is now not recognizing the cards I downloaded. Do I need to point the program to the cards somehow? :-)
johncpatterson

Postby melvin » 20 Aug 2011, 04:36

Dang, seems like I fixed one thing but broke another. The game checks whether the data folder is in the current directory, if not it creates one in your home directory. My earlier fix did not change the current directory but just change the path to the executable file. This allowed the program to startup but now it can't find the data folder.

I've made a new fix which you can download from http://magarena.googlecode.com/files/Ma ... d.1338.zip This one changes the current directory before launching the program, so that now the program can find your existing data folder with the card pics.

Thanks for all your help and patience in debugging the Mac startup script, I really appreciate it.
melvin
AI Programmer

Postby johncpatterson » 20 Aug 2011, 05:58

melvin wrote:Dang, seems like I fixed one thing but broke another. The game checks whether the data folder is in the current directory, if not it creates one in your home directory. My earlier fix did not change the current directory but just change the path to the executable file. This allowed the program to startup but now it can't find the data folder.

I've made a new fix which you can download from http://magarena.googlecode.com/files/Ma ... d.1338.zip This one changes the current directory before launching the program, so that now the program can find your existing data folder with the card pics.

Thanks for all your help and patience in debugging the Mac startup script, I really appreciate it.
And that did it sir! No problems at all, I was glad to help, and thanks for your quick replies. Working great! :-)
johncpatterson

PreviousNext

Return to Magarena