It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:16

Text Size

Manalink update 25 March 2015: Fate Reforged

The latest Manalink updates are posted here.
PLEASE DO NOT BUMP OLD UPDATES!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Manalink update 25 March 2015: Fate Reforged

Postby dingbat1 » 15 Apr 2015, 16:33

BAgate wrote:True, but there is psychology involved. If you have the same text over and over patch after patch and then change it a little most people will not notice the change and just skip over it (why proofreading your own work is of limited value). Personally, after a half dozen patches where that big block of text said change the artwork if your folder is older then X I assumed that is what it would always say and just skipped it, thus not noticing when it eventually changed to if your folder is older than Y.

If you limit what is included in each patch to just what is needed for that patch then it is simple and error proof for those who update patch by patch. Then you can have a 'catch up' thread (linked in the patch post) for those who have skipped some. And considering there will be less text to read overall there is a greater likelihood that such instructions will get read.

Ultimately it is on the user to read instructions and follow them. But given that a long time user like me got fooled by the artwork change, and we have questions from less experienced users on literally every patch I don't think it unreasonable to conclude that what we are doing can be improved.
I kind of fall in both camps. I had no problem doing it properly, because, really, every patch includes 2 downloads (1 for updates, 1 for art) and even if you only read the first part, that much is clear.

But, the problem is, (A) most people have a tendency not to read the instructions, and (B) a lot of people are idiots. So there's a pretty good chance someone somehow will fuck it up.

Saying read the instructions doesn't get people to actually do it, and fixing the instructions to be clear, concise, and straightforward (wish I could say idiot proof) takes less time than having to talk people through what they did wrong every time there's an update.

That being said, I have no problem with a concise "here are the two downloads", together with a brief note that anyone who hasn't had the most recent update should follow the link that leads to further instructions.

I mean, if you're getting the mod for the first time, you also need to go to separate threads to get the files and all the various updates, so why not do the same for people who haven't updated in donkeys?

Installing/updating is not rocket science, and if the modders are doing the heavy lifting, the least we can do is not be assholes about it.
dingbat1

Postby Javatar » 04 May 2015, 00:05

There is other possibility, so many people doesn't know english (me, for example) and the traducction, isnt often satisfactory. Therefore they dont follow the instructions correctly.
Javatar

Postby w128jaws » 22 Jun 2015, 21:01

OK, so I've downloaded all the necessary files for the fate reforged patch however now when I go to start a duel the game will either a) freeze or b) not show any of the cards that are in my hand. I was previously running the born of the gods patch just fine, but wanted to update the bard library for deck testing purposes.

So my question is this, do I have to install all previous patches or will just installing the most recent patch work?
w128jaws

Postby BAgate » 22 Jun 2015, 23:34

Patches are cumulative, so you should just need to install the latest patch.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby w128jaws » 23 Jun 2015, 20:56

Ok then on that note does anyone have any ideas as to why the game no longer works properly after the fate reforged patch. Manalinkcardart has all the updates and has the correct number of files.
w128jaws

Postby BAgate » 23 Jun 2015, 23:14

1) did you download the patch program files in addition to the card art files?

2) did you turn off antivirus when extracting files? i.e. have you checked to make sure all the program files were actually replaced with the updated versions?

3) is the freeze deck specific or does it happen whenever you try to play?
BAgate
Tester

Postby w128jaws » 24 Jun 2015, 10:47

Yes, I have downloaded all the necessary files.

Yes, Everything has transferred over with no issues from antivirus.

The game crashes when I try to start a gauntlet challenge, and when I'm not doing the challenges my hand doesn't show up.
w128jaws

Postby w128jaws » 27 Jun 2015, 14:41

Ok so after looking through the patch indexes I decided to start all over and download everything. Using the Portal to theros package as my starting point everything is now working. I would recommend instead of saying

"If you are installing Manalink for the first time, I recommend, in this order:
My Portals to Theros distribution, available here.
Sarlack's HighRes Widescreen & Standard 4:3 Graphic mod, available here.
This patch.
The card artwork per Sonic's instructions below."

to just follow these instruction and start with the portal to theros distribution.

Aside from having some issues updating my original manalink I do not think it is really all that hard. Please keep up the great work and thanks for all of your efforts everyone.
w128jaws

Postby Gilber » 17 Jul 2015, 15:26

Hi guys
Do you remember me
Do you miss me
I'm your friend from syria and i'm really sorry for not entering here for long time and that's because the damn internet is still cutted off until now
And i'm useing the stupid slow 2g connection from my mobile to send you this message
The situation here is from bad to worst but thanks god for everything
Anyway i just want to thank you guys for every thing you do to make this wonderful game bigger and better

One question please: it has been a long time /about 4 months/ and you didn't release a new update
So, did you stop releasing updates or what ?
Thank you again and pease out
Gilber

Postby gmzombie » 17 Jul 2015, 17:05

Good to hear from you friend. Right now Gargaroz is out attending to things in RL. I hope he will have time to come back and continue where he left off. But it has been a while since we seen him. With korath working on shandalar we don't have anyone to do manalink at this time. I wish I knew more about coding and I would help. I have gone and did a code hack on magic.exe in the development forum to make the cards in a duel smaller with the info I got from korath as he found out how to do it. The version I put out dosent scale well though so unless you have a 1920x1080 screen the cards will look fuzzy/blurry. I'm still looking into it to find the proper way to do this as I think I just stumbled into a hack and not the real item korath was talking bout but I was giddy to put it up.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Gilber » 18 Jul 2015, 10:15

thanks man for fast reply and i'm really appreciate that
But what RL mean !?
I'm really not good at shortcuts
Thanks again
Gilber

Postby BAgate » 18 Jul 2015, 12:52

RL = real life
BAgate
Tester

Postby Gargaroz » 12 Sep 2015, 15:22

Hi guys, long time we don't talk.
I'll probably leave my actual work very soon and maybe have some more spare time available.
If the flame will relit, I'll try to make at least the code for Dragons of Tarkir and Origins.
Stay tuned.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Postby gmzombie » 12 Sep 2015, 18:10

well you know we will do what we can. i know sonic has retired from the csv but Korath has made a program that will help us generate the csv for the most part like 90% after getting it from the gatherer if i recall. I along with many welcome you back and i might recommend checking out what Korath has done with shandalar. It is nothing short of amazing! I dont know how close he is at fixing the graveyard if he is working on that yet but we seen a prototype of courser of kruphix with the card displaying on top of the deck. He has also found the code to adjust the small card size in the duel so more cards can fit on screen along with alot of fixes and updates in shandalar.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Gargaroz » 13 Sep 2015, 12:30

Thanks guys!
I've a request: I need the Magic: Origins spoiler in text format. If someone could also expunge the already coded cards will be perfect.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Patches