It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 05:58

Text Size

[work in progress?]Drain Life and cost reduction

Report wrong Card behavior to get it fixed.
PLEASE ADD SAVEGAMES TO YOUR TOPIC !

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[work in progress?]Drain Life and cost reduction

Postby Korath » 19 Nov 2015, 13:18

Describe the Bug:
I have two Jet Medallion and four Swamp on the battlefield. I cast a Drain Life and tap all available mana. X is 3. fixed

Which card did behave improperly ?
Maybe Drain Life. More likely the cost reducing engine.

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
FRF.

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
X should be 4. I can't find chapter and verse in the comprehensive rules, which is supremely irritating, but rulings from the two cards:
Jet Medallion: 10/4/2004 The generic X cost is still considered generic even if there is a requirement that a specific color be used for it. For example, "only black mana can be spent this way". This distinction is important for effects which reduce the generic portion of a spell's cost.
10/4/2004 The effect is cumulative.
Drain Life: 10/4/2004 Cost reducers can be used to reduce the X part of the mana cost.

So get {B} {B} {B} {B} from the swamps and reduce cost by {2} from the two medallions, and the sorcery should cost {X} {1} {B} with X=4.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?
Atalya, Samite Master, Consume Spirit, Crimson Hellkite, Crypt Rats are the other cards in Manalink with restrictions on what can be spent on {X}. Jet Medallion doesn't apply to any of them except Consume Spirit, of course, but there's Training Grounds and Dragonspeaker Shaman and plenty of other cards that do.
Attachments
jet-medallion.zip
I'd post a screenshot, but the oh-so-brilliantly-designed Windows
clipboard subsystem is having a moment, as it's wont to do.
(2.08 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 28 Jan 2018, 09:07, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: strikethrough fixed bugs
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: [confirmed]Drain Life and cost reduction

Postby SytheLunat » 13 Dec 2015, 13:30

The calculation is correct in the program.

Since Drain Life can only use Black Mana as the X value, your jet medallion only has 1 generic mana in the spells cost to reduce.

Effectively to cast the spell for 4 damage you need 5 black sources :)

For drain life's purposes, think of X as a variable number of black mana symbols [(B)(B)(B)] (1) (B) for 3 damage or [(B)(B)(B)(B)] (1) (B) for 4 damage etc.

This also applies to your other examples, because they have mana restrictions "spend only [color] mana on X"
SytheLunat

Postby Korath » 13 Dec 2015, 13:54

That's a common misconception, but it's false; see the rulings I linked. A cost reduction isn't a payment, so it isn't affected by restrictions on how you pay that cost. Relevant rules are 601.2b (X is chosen at proposal), 601.2f (total cost is modified by cost reductions), 601.2h (payment begins).

If I recall correctly, the way this worked changed shortly after Tempest was released specifically because of this issue; previously, Helm of Awakening had been ruled not to affect Drain Life's X cost.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Gargaroz » 12 Apr 2016, 15:25

Fixed for the majority of cards via "generic_spell" and for Drain Life / Consume Spirit via their specific functions.
Activated abilities shouldn't be a problem, as both Training Grounds and Power Artifact have the clause that they coulnd't reduce the activation cost to less than 1.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Re: [still bugged]Drain Life and cost reduction

Postby BAgate » 23 Aug 2016, 06:34

Atalya, Samite Master + Training Grounds no effect.

Drain Life / Consume Spirit + Jet Medallion - same bug. fixed
Plus, Drain Life and Consume Spirit don't do anything on resolution. fixed
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 28 Jan 2018, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: strikethrough fixed
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Re: [still bugged]Drain Life and cost reduction

Postby Gargaroz » 17 Sep 2016, 21:35

Drain Life fixed in 5a5f172
Consume Spirit fixed in 0b6ee81
Interaction between both and cost reduction for spells fixed in 4ad10ae. This was a global bug and will fix all the other bugs like the interaction with additional costs.
I'll work on the same bug for activated abilities too.
----
- Current / medium term task: adjusting the code for making Misdirection and such usable
- Long term task: inserting all the good stuff I left out from the "Golden Years" mod
Gargaroz
Programmer

Re: [work in progress?]Drain Life and cost reduction

Postby Aswan jaguar » 28 Jan 2018, 09:05

Drain Life & Consume Spirit have been fixed.
Also they work correctly with cost reduction with Jet Medallion at least that I tested. They do deal correct amount of damage and gain life accordingly with 2 and 3 Jet Medallion in play. Only the X you see when you cast the spell is still wrong which if I remember correctly is hardcoded can't be fixed, right?

Edit: The other 2 I found that reduce cost of black spells, Stormscape Familiar and Thunderscape Familiar work also fine with Drain Life & Consume Spirit.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Bug Reports