It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:06

Text Size

[confirmed]propaganda affects planeswalkers

Report wrong Card behavior to get it fixed.
PLEASE ADD SAVEGAMES TO YOUR TOPIC !

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

[confirmed]propaganda affects planeswalkers

Postby BAgate » 06 Jun 2016, 08:29

Describe the Bug:
Propaganda applies when you try to attack a planeswalker controled by Propaganda's controller.

Which card did behave improperly ?
Propaganda et al.

Which update are you using?(date,name)Which type(Duel,Gauntlet,Sealed Deck)
Manalink 2016/01/15: Battle For Zendikar v2,duel

What exactly should be the correct behavior/interaction ?
Propaganda affects only creatures that attack its controller.

Are any other cards possibly affected by this bug ?
Collective Restraint, Norn's Annex, etc.
Attachments
propaganda.rar
(2.83 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 10 Aug 2019, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: confirmed bug
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Re: propaganda affects planeswalkers

Postby Korath » 06 Jun 2016, 09:31

Norn's Annex is correct, since it says "or a planeswalker you control".

On the other hand, this affects all cards templated "can't attack you", not just ones with a payment to negate; it's a consequence of hacking the choice of which planeswalker to attack into the pay-to-attack trigger, and they all either trigger at the same time, or prevent attacking at all before the trigger is even reached. Full list: Agyrem, Arboria, Blazing Archon, Chronomantic Escape, Collective Restraint, Crawlspace, Elephant Grass, Form of the Dragon, Ghostly Prison, Koskun Falls, Propaganda, Reverence, Teferi's Moat, Windborn Muse. Web of Inertia would be affected too, but it's not in Manalink.

Somewhat more common are cards that trigger on creatures attacking a player. Those can be done properly, so they'll all need to be checked individually. They're also harder to search for definitively. I find: Barbed Foliage, Briar Patch, Curse of Chaos, Curse of Inertia, Curse of Predation, Curse of Shallow Graves, Curse of the Forsaken, Garruk, Apex Predator, Hissing Miasma, Kaalia of the Vast, Kharasha Foothills, Master of Cruelties, Nature Shields Its Own (note that the Oracle text is functionally different from what's printed on the card, which is what shows up in autocard here), Orim's Prayer, Raking Canopy, Reveille Squad.

Related: I really doubt cards worded similar to "attacks [you/that player/etc] if able" prevent attacking that player's planeswalkers, either. They are: Alluring Siren, Raving Dead, Rotted Ones, Lay Siege, Ruhan of the Fomori. Not in Manalink: Cogwork Tracker, Taunt.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Re: propaganda affects planeswalkers

Postby Aswan jaguar » 06 Jun 2016, 10:35

This was reported hereand then retested/reconfirmed by me this February.Because this has extra info by Korath I will close the other as duplicate.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: [confirmed]propaganda affects planeswalkers

Postby BAgate » 06 Jun 2016, 13:07

A card with so many issues that I gave up looking through the old bugs before I found your old report. My bad...
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Aswan jaguar » 06 Jun 2016, 13:18

On the plus side we wouldn't have this detailed reply from Korath if you hadn't brought this up again. :)
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: [confirmed]Attacking opponent with several Planeswalkers

Postby FastEddie » 16 Aug 2020, 08:29

Aswan jaguar wrote:I looked if I could find a way so this piece of code can honor "can't attack you" effects like Propaganda paid costs and non paid ones:
I thought a bit about it and looked at Propaganda. Unfortunately this doesn't work easily. Let me explain.

When attacking Planeswalkers the order in which the Planeswalkers are addressed doesn't matter. I think the Planeswalkers get called in order of their card ids, so if Garruk was played before Chandra he comes first.
Now Garruk gets called that a creature (say Aswan Jaguar ;) ) is attacking. Garruk clarifies who will be attacked and tells Chandra "I took care of it, you can go back to sleep" (which is stored in targets[8]). When Chandra gets called she checks targets[8], sees that there is nothing to do and goes back to sleep after resetting the targets[8].
The crucial point is that the whole mechanic works the same if you switch Garruk and Chandra.

Propaganda (I use this going forward, the others should be essentially the same) and similar effects are different as the order in which things happen matters. Ideally all attackers are assigned first (to Planeswalkers or the opponent, doesn't matter) and then Propaganda would check who is being attacked.
Now both Planeswalkers and Propaganda get called by TRIGGER_PAY_TO_ATTACK and we have no clue who comes first (I thought a second about manipulating the order but this is likely to cause so many issues that I shelved immediately). Propaganda must be triggered by TRIGGER_PAY_TO_ATTACK and there is probably a good reason the same is done for Planeswalkers:

TRIGGER_ATTACKER_CHOSEN = 0xDE, // Triggers as each attacker is chosen. Infuriatingly, it's dispatched after PAY_TO_ATTACK when a human attacks, but before when the AI does.
I am thinking about hacking Propaganda to check whether there are Planeswalkers in play, calling them to ensure this effect comes first, then sorting out the pay to attack effect and at some point resetting the Planeswalkers so that the mechanic works for the next creature (when Propaganda calls the Planeswalker it might have been called already and we must ensure that the choice isn't offered twice). And of course the whole thing must interact properly with Relentless Assault...
Last edited by FastEddie on 16 Aug 2020, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
---
Argivian Archaeologist in the Library of Leng studying the Spells of the Ancients
FastEddie

Postby Aswan jaguar » 16 Aug 2020, 12:36

So there is no misunderstanding above post was moved from: viewtopic.php?f=86&t=29573 as it belongs here.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Return to Bug Reports