It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:44

Text Size

jMagic 0.8

by jmagicdev

Moderators: jmagicdev, CCGHQ Admins

jMagic 0.8

Postby jmagicdev » 17 Jul 2011, 16:52

What's New in jMagic 0.8:
* We are hosting a game finder. In jMagic->Settings, type "http://jmagic.dyndns.org/games/" (no quotes, final slash required) into the "Game finder:" box to tell jMagic where you want to list your games or look for others' games.
* All cards in Magic 2012 are available.
jmagicdev
DEVELOPER

Re: jMagic 0.8

Postby ubeefx » 20 Jul 2011, 19:23

I tried this release on my Windows 7 machine and now it works fine. :)
The addition of the premade decks folder is nice.

I tried the card images support by using the Magarena card images folder, which uses a similar naming approach.
But I was a bit surprised that instead of seeing the full card image, instead the full image was used as art in the rendered cards.

Will this project remain strictly player versus player or do you intend to add player versus AI too?

Personally I think you should first focus on making the UI more intuitive instead of adding cards.
Maybe you can use Mage or other projects on this forum as inspiration.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Postby jmagicdev » 20 Aug 2011, 18:00

jMagic is alive and well. Unfortunately, the past month has been busy for the developers, so we haven't had as much time to comment on these forums as we would like, but we are still making improvements to the game. We always welcome suggestions for cards to implement that we haven't written yet (the whole point of jMagic is to let people play with any card they want) but make sure to post them in the Feature Requests thread so we can find them as quickly as possible.

ubeefx: The rationale behind the cropped card images is that we dynamically render the entire card (except for the art) to accommodate changes due to continuous effects. For example, if you hover over your Grizzly Bears with Akroma's Memorial in play, you'd want to see that it has flying, first strike, vigilance, trample, haste, and protection from black and from red. If we just showed you the original card (by using the full card scan instead of just the cropped art), it would be very difficult to communicate those changes to the user. Also, cropped art takes up much less space on your hard-drive. :-P

For now, jMagic is focused on player-versus-player, though we haven't ruled out an AI. Our engine to player interface leaves open the possibility of an AI for any enterprising programmer.

The developers are getting together fairly soon (2 to 3 weeks) to put together a release with all the fixes requested by the community.

Thanks for your support!
jmagicdev
DEVELOPER

Postby ubeefx » 22 Aug 2011, 18:46

The rationale behind the cropped card images is that we dynamically render the entire card (except for the art) to accommodate changes due to continuous effects.
Ok, this is indeed a very good approach, I use it for Dreamwalkers too. :)
But diskspace is not really an issue these days I suppose. Download bandwidth however still is.
ubeefx
DEVELOPER

Return to jMagic