It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:09

Text Size

MTG Image Renamer

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

MTG Image Renamer

Postby woogerboy21 » 20 Sep 2010, 01:56

Alright here's something that others might find usefull. An hta to copy/move/link image files from one app to another. Might help those that want to not redownload images.

Please read the included "howto.txt" for usage.

Screenshot:

NOTE
If you recieve the following error (or similar)

Please choose "no".
If you do not wish to see this message please follow these steps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

Known Problems
  • zipping not supported for *->wag routines
  • not all basic lands are copied using the *->wag routines
  • multiversion cards not properly copied using the *->wag routines
  • split cards not properly copied using the *->wag routines

Notes
Dont let the description fool you for the "Image Folder". Its simply the source root folder (ui needs updating). Same for the "Application Folder", its simply the target root folder. All subfolder structures for the source app are expected to be in place. (IE: MWS has its pictures under the "PICS" folder, MA has its pictures under the "IMAGES" folder.)

Application Versions:
  • v.01 - Initial Release
  • v0.2
    • added update history log
    • update to ma->mws routine to correct split name / multi-card file names
    • added the "overwrite" drop down menu option, now if you choose no and the target files exist they will not be overwritten.
    • updated display output to show cardname / setname properly when using both methods
    • added minor error checking to display some basic problems if problems occur
    • added additional languages supported by the magic album application
    • ui adjustments for new ui options
  • v0.3
    • added the .reg file to the distrobution. import this into your registry and reboot to prevent the popup described in the forum post
    • complete application rewrite, allows for easy expansion for other application support
    • added set->app functionality
    • added app->app functionality
    • added wagic application support (first implementation)
    • added link options under methods. this option is enabled if your operating system is identified as supporting symbolic links (winxp does not support this)
  • v0.4
    • added the set information "Fire & Lightning" to sets list
    • added mws->forge functionality (first implementation)
    • updated internal set array for easier updating in future releases
    • updated setinfo file to contain all known set information (incase someone was looking for a full example)
    • corrected identified bug when selecting single set and any set listed prior to the selected set has no pictures present causes premature application completion
Attachments
correctbrackets.zip
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
mtg.image.renamer.v04.zip
(113.72 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
mtg.image.renamer.v03.zip
(35.89 KiB) Downloaded 711 times
Last edited by woogerboy21 on 30 Jun 2011, 19:33, edited 12 times in total.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Re: MTG Image Renamer

Postby Huggybaby » 20 Sep 2010, 02:17

Awesome, I've been hoping for this. Thanks woogerboy21.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby woogerboy21 » 20 Sep 2010, 03:04

Huggybaby wrote:Awesome, I've been hoping for this. Thanks woogerboy21.
No problem. Let me know if something doesnt work right about the hta. I haven't used the MWS application in a while so there may be bugs (like promo's come to mind.) The code for going from mws to ma has been tested pretty good and should work without much problem but just recently added the ma to mws code and only tested it briefly.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby woogerboy21 » 20 Sep 2010, 18:15

New version released. Mainly new additions. As always let me know if anyone runs into any problems or has any recommendations.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Cursor » 07 Oct 2010, 12:42

Hi
Thanks for this utility. 2 questions:

How long SHOULD it take to convert all HQ pictures from MWS to MA format? I tried this and after 5 HOURS (!) it was about 80% finished. (under Windows 7 Ultimate, on a Core i5 machine with 4GB RAM)

Having stopped the process after 5 hours, is there any way to get it to only process the remaining pictures? Restarted it and it started at the beginning again.
Cursor

Postby woogerboy21 » 07 Oct 2010, 17:00

Cursor wrote:Hi
Thanks for this utility. 2 questions:

How long SHOULD it take to convert all HQ pictures from MWS to MA format? I tried this and after 5 HOURS (!) it was about 80% finished. (under Windows 7 Ultimate, on a Core i5 machine with 4GB RAM)
Really this is strictly nothing but disk i/o so the specs you posted wont tell me much other than you can calculate alot fast :D I personally have never timed it but given the number of pictures there are available in a complete set listing if I were to convert them all from one app to another I would just start it at night and goto bed. Which brings up another question I have. Are you recieving any message box popups during execution? I just glanced through the code and noticed there was some debug message boxes still in this release code that wasnt removed before releasing it and was curious if they were causing problems.

Having stopped the process after 5 hours, is there any way to get it to only process the remaining pictures? Restarted it and it started at the beginning again.
There is no resuming feature how ever I believe the code only does the file copies if the target image does not exist. If you are wanting to "resume" copy the MWS folders that haven't been converted into another folder and use that path for the "Magic Workstation Folder" path. (note: structure must have the "pics" folder in it.)
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Huggybaby » 07 Oct 2010, 17:41

Is it possible to add support for other apps? Wagic comes to mind since it uses numbered pics without the .full extension.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby woogerboy21 » 07 Oct 2010, 18:28

Huggybaby wrote:Is it possible to add support for other apps? Wagic comes to mind since it uses numbered pics without the .full extension.
Sure. I would just need to know the folder structure and file name formating that the other applications use.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Cursor » 07 Oct 2010, 18:40

woogerboy21 wrote: Which brings up another question I have. Are you recieving any message box popups during execution? I just glanced through the code and noticed there was some debug message boxes still in this release code that wasnt removed before releasing it and was curious if they were causing problems.
I received the "script is causing IE to run slowly" popup. To which I hit "NO". No other messages appeared. Speed-wise, copying the ~2 GB of images should only take 5 - 10 minutes. Would it be faster to copy all the files in each directory and then apply a blanket rename function (in dos "c:>rename *.full.jpg *.jpg")?

woogerboy21 wrote:There is no resuming feature how ever I believe the code only does the file copies if the target image does not exist. If you are wanting to "resume" copy the MWS folders that haven't been converted into another folder and use that path for the "Magic Workstation Folder" path. (note: structure must have the "pics" folder in it.)
When I restarted, I selected the "do not overwrite" option, but it didn't seem to speed up the process. It still examined every file before deciding what to do with it.

Some option to select specific sets would also be useful when new sets are released, so it doesn't have to run through all the old images all over again. You could download 1 set, then use this to populate across all apps.

Although it would be nice if the apps could just access a common image directory instead of keeping multiple copies wasting HDD space. I wonder if it's possible to do something like this with symbolic links?
Cursor

Postby Huggybaby » 07 Oct 2010, 18:44

We would all be interested in something that allows all the apps here to use the same pics without having a hard drive full of duplicates. :!:
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby woogerboy21 » 07 Oct 2010, 19:08

Huggybaby wrote:We would all be interested in something that allows all the apps here to use the same pics without having a hard drive full of duplicates. :!:
All this app does is copy the images from one location to another and renames the images according to the expected file name that the target application will be using. You still have multiple copies of the images. With every app wanting a different file name standard you would need something to interprete the call to the image and have the image fetched basicly correct? Or were you thinking you wanted a master folder containing all the images and a tool to mass copy them from that folder into the expected folder structure of another application? Or something else.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Cursor » 07 Oct 2010, 19:29

Windows Vista & 7 allow "symbolic links" (symlinks) which are "pointers" to actual files. This is not available in Windows XP though.

Theoretically, you should be able to fill the MA Image directories with symlinks to the MWS Pics directories (or vice versa).

The question is how to create the symlinks efficiently. The command under Win7 from the command prompt is: "mklink".

Woogerboy21: Your program scans thru the MWS directories and copies the files into the appropriate MA directories. Can you modify it to simply create links in the MA directories instead of copying?
Cursor

Postby woogerboy21 » 07 Oct 2010, 19:57

Cursor wrote:Windows Vista & 7 allow "symbolic links" (symlinks) which are "pointers" to actual files. This is not available in Windows XP though.

Theoretically, you should be able to fill the MA Image directories with symlinks to the MWS Pics directories (or vice versa).

The question is how to create the symlinks efficiently. The command under Win7 from the command prompt is: "mklink".

Woogerboy21: Your program scans thru the MWS directories and copies the files into the appropriate MA directories. Can you modify it to simply create links in the MA directories instead of copying?
Sure its possible.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Postby Huggybaby » 07 Oct 2010, 20:07

This is going to be a very interesting experiment! I've hardly used symlinks at all.

To answer your question "you would need something to interprete the call to the image and have the image fetched", yes.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby woogerboy21 » 08 Oct 2010, 13:09

Huggybaby wrote:This is going to be a very interesting experiment! I've hardly used symlinks at all.
I've never used them in windows but have in linux and they work out nicely.
Do you have any documentation on how the wagic application uses picture, the folder and file structure etc? I downloaded the application but didnt see any pictures.
woogerboy21
HQ Team Member

Next

Return to Utilities