It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:11

Text Size

[HELP] Riiak's Deck Builder 2014

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

[HELP] Riiak's Deck Builder 2014

Postby root » 16 Mar 2014, 09:40

I'm experiencing 3 errors with Riiak's deck builder. I couldn't find any posts regarding these issues, so the error is most likely on my end.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit with [dot]Net 4.5 installed. I've also tried everything described here with v4.0.

1) Can't open Windows dialog
When I try to open Windows dialog boxes, an error message is returned.

Code: Select all
System.ArgumentException: Filter string you provided is not valid. The filter string must contain a description of the filter, followed by the vertical bar (|) and the filter pattern. The strings for different filtering options must also be separated by the vertical bar. Example: "Text files (*.txt)|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*"
Full stacktrace and scrshot (dialog_err.jpg) attached.

The error can be reproduced by clicking any button that requires a Windows dialog box to be opened, eg. clicking Browse under options.

I suspect the error could be on my end because all text in the app looks like variable names, eg. [MENU_FILE], [MENU_TOOLS], [MENU_TOOLS_OPTIONS]

2) No deckbox image
When picking a personality for a deck, there is no deckbox image, and due to error 1 reported above, I can't pick one.

Scrshot attached (deckbox.jpg).

3) AI personality
This is just a triviel error, and has no apparent impact on usage of the application. When picking an AI personality, there are multiple instances of Karn to pick.

Scrshot attached (personality.jpg)

*edit*
NOT a bug, but I still need help. Please read the next posts
Attachments
personality.jpg
dialog_err.jpg
deckbox.jpg
dialog_err.txt
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
Last edited by root on 16 Mar 2014, 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
root

Re: [BUG] Riiak's Deck Builder 2014

Postby root » 16 Mar 2014, 11:14

I can see from scrshots, that something is off on my end, since menu names etc is not correctly displayed.

So I tried to build it myself from CMD using MSbuild ... /t:build from this dir:

C:\Windows\Microsoft[dot]NET\Framework\v4.0.30319
This returned a warning, and no build application. I assume because of spaces in the csproj file name.

"E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" (build target) (1) ->
"E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]csproj[dot]metaproj" (default target) (2) ->
(Build target) ->
  E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]csproj[dot]metaproj : warning MSB4046: Error reading project file "DotP 2014 Deck Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]csproj": Could not find file 'E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]csproj'.
Full output from CMD is attached.
Hope someone can help.

---

Please replace all [dot] with a regular punctuation mark. I keep getting the; "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs."
Attachments
msbuild_sln.txt
(2 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
root

Re: [BUG] Riiak's Deck Builder 2014

Postby root » 16 Mar 2014, 11:44

It's definitely my computer.
Just tested on my work laptop, that's never seen anything beyond [dot]Net4.0, and it works like a charm.

Still trying to make a build. This bit doesn't return any errors or warnings, but it doesn't seem to build the application either

C:\Windows\Microsoft[dot]NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>msbuild "E:\Downloads\Deck_Build
er\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform="
Any CPU"
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.18408
[Microsoft [dot]NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.18408]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Building the projects in this solution one at a time. To enable parallel build, please add the "/m" switch.
Build started 16/03/2014 12:42:27.
Project "E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" on node 1 (Rebuild target(s)).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Release|Any CPU".
ValidateProjects:
  The project "DotP 2014 Deck Builder" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Release|Any CPU".
Done Building Project "E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" (Rebuild target(s)).

Build succeeded.
    0 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.12
root

Re: [HELP] Riiak's Deck Builder 2014

Postby RiiakShiNal » 16 Mar 2014, 13:04

root wrote:I'm experiencing 3 errors with Riiak's deck builder. I couldn't find any posts regarding these issues, so the error is most likely on my end.

I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit with [dot]Net 4.5 installed. I've also tried everything described here with v4.0.
The Deck Builder was built with .Net 4.0 (the same as Gibbed Tools to keep things consistent) so that is the version it should be used with (different versions can coexist side-by-side and will be used appropriately).

root wrote:1) Can't open Windows dialog
When I try to open Windows dialog boxes, an error message is returned.

System.ArgumentException: Filter string you provided is not valid. The filter string must contain a description of the filter, followed by the vertical bar (|) and the filter pattern. The strings for different filtering options must also be separated by the vertical bar. Example: "Text files (*.txt)|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*"
Full stacktrace and scrshot (dialog_err.jpg) attached.

The error can be reproduced by clicking any button that requires a Windows dialog box to be opened, eg. clicking Browse under options.

I suspect the error could be on my end because all text in the app looks like variable names, eg. [MENU_FILE], [MENU_TOOLS], [MENU_TOOLS_OPTIONS]
This is because the Deck Builder is unable to find the Translation file for your selected language in the Lang sub-directory from where the builder is located (or the translation file is missing the required items). This can happen if you are trying to run the Builder from within the archive or if you did not properly extract the archive (the sub-directories are important). The default start-up language of the Builder is English then from the Options screen (which appears on first run or from "Tools"->"Options") you can select a different language. If you have added a language in the Settings.xml then you probably forgot to add the appropriate translation file for that language in the Lang directory.

If the translation file is there and the Builder has picked it up then that probably means that the Translation file is missing the required items or keys were changed and the builder can't find the the keys it is looking for. Keys should never be translated.

root wrote:2) No deckbox image
When picking a personality for a deck, there is no deckbox image, and due to error 1 reported above, I can't pick one.
The personality does not bring with it a deck box image, deck box images are linked to decks not personalities. You could have 10 different decks all linked to the same personality with different deck box images. Selecting a personality only brings in the personality images.

root wrote:3) AI personality
This is just a triviel error, and has no apparent impact on usage of the application. When picking an AI personality, there are multiple instances of Karn to pick.
This is because there are multiple personalities with the name Karn this can be either a case of having several copies of the same file in different WADs, by having several different files with the same name in a WAD, or a combination of both.

root wrote:It's definitely my computer.
Just tested on my work laptop, that's never seen anything beyond [dot]Net4.0, and it works like a charm.

Still trying to make a build. This bit doesn't return any errors or warnings, but it doesn't seem to build the application either

C:\Windows\Microsoft[dot]NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>msbuild "E:\Downloads\Deck_Build
er\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" /t:Rebuild /p:Configuration=Release /p:Platform="
Any CPU"
Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 4.0.30319.18408
[Microsoft [dot]NET Framework, version 4.0.30319.18408]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Building the projects in this solution one at a time. To enable parallel build, please add the "/m" switch.
Build started 16/03/2014 12:42:27.
Project "E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" on node 1 (Rebuild target(s)).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Release|Any CPU".
ValidateProjects:
  The project "DotP 2014 Deck Builder" is not selected for building in solution configuration "Release|Any CPU".
Done Building Project "E:\Downloads\Deck_Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder[dot]sln" (Rebuild target(s)).

Build succeeded.
    0 Warning(s)
    0 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.12
I have 2 platforms defined for the builds as "x86" (32-Bit) and "x64" (64-Bit) so you should try to use those instead of "Any CPU". Though I find it easier to have Visual C# 2010 installed for the build and development (you can get the express version here).

Also once you have built the project it will place the built files in a sub-directory in the "DotP 2014 Deck Builder\DotP 2014 Deck Builder\bin" directory based on what was built.
  • x86 Debug - bin\Debug
  • x86 Release - bin\Release
  • x64 Debug - bin\x64\Debug
  • x64 Release - bin\x64\Release
The build does include copying the included files in the Images and Lang sub-directories to the bin directories so that all the necessary files are easily located and ready to run.

Note that if you add files to those source directories they will not be automatically included upon being built they will need to be properly added to the project to be included (this allows me to make temporary files in those directories as intermediaries or for template purposes).
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Postby root » 16 Mar 2014, 13:41

RiiakShiNal wrote:This is because the Deck Builder is unable to find the Translation file for your selected language in the Lang sub-directory from where the builder is located (or the translation file is missing the required items). This can happen if you are trying to run the Builder from within the archive or if you did not properly extract the archive (the sub-directories are important).
*sigh* I can't believe it was something so simple.

I extracted the program using 7zip context menu; "Extract here ...", which extracts to a dir. Unfortunately it didn't put the language files and deck images in gthe correct directories, which I obviously didn't pay attention to.

I've completely removed .Net 4.5.1 from my system, in order to get v4.0 installed instead (why MS won't let these coexist, I don't know), and VS Express 2013 too (I'm a complete C# newbie).

Everything works now, thanks a bunch for the thorough reply :)
root

Postby RiiakShiNal » 16 Mar 2014, 18:25

root wrote:*sigh* I can't believe it was something so simple.
It usually is the simple things that stump us because we aren't looking for them.

root wrote:I extracted the program using 7zip context menu; "Extract here ...", which extracts to a dir. Unfortunately it didn't put the language files and deck images in gthe correct directories, which I obviously didn't pay attention to.
You aren't the first person to have issues with extracting the archive and it is possible that other people did the exact same thing.

root wrote:I've completely removed .Net 4.5.1 from my system, in order to get v4.0 installed instead (why MS won't let these coexist, I don't know), and VS Express 2013 too (I'm a complete C# newbie).
If Microsoft won't let you install .Net 4 on a system with .Net 4.5 then it is probable that 4.5 contains all of 4 and they already coexist (by default). If I remember correctly this is how it was with .Net 3 and 3.5.

root wrote:Everything works now, thanks a bunch for the thorough reply :)
Glad to hear everything is working now.
RiiakShiNal
Programmer

Return to Utilities