It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:17

Text Size

Fix Request

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Fix Request

Postby GandoTheBard » 14 Mar 2009, 10:26

Something that has become even more apparent with the start of the quest mode project is that we need a better algorithm for "randomly" making packs for questmode/starter and draft. Currently there is ahorrible bias towards red and green which means that every time you start a new quest/starter you get 2x the number of green and red cards as the other 3 colors which means if you get good cards in the other colors you either have to splash for them or just forget about them. This is completely unsatisfactory. It should be possible imho to set up a color balanced pack via algorithm. Particularly this is key with commons. out of 11 commons there should be on average two of any one color, and then with some variation, multicolor cards, lands and artifacts. Hopefully you guys can figure this out.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Re: Fix Request

Postby Chris H. » 14 Mar 2009, 11:32

GandoTheBard wrote:we need a better algorithm for "randomly" making packs for questmode/starter and draft. Currently there is ahorrible bias towards red and green which means that every time you start a new quest/starter you get 2x the number of green and red cards as the other 3 colors
I have also noticed that we tend to have far more creatures in Forge than we have spells. We may want to to consider a random algorithm that would give us a few more spells and a few less creatures. This would encourage people to design decks whereby they do not attempt to overwhelm the computer with a swarm of creatures.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 14 Mar 2009, 13:09

Yeah well a good limited deck should have 16-17 creatures 6-7 non creatures and 17-18 lands on average. If you can't muster a deck like that then clearly the algorithm needs to be rewritten, but part of that is that there are no sets. Just a big pile of "goo" so to speak. We should be thinking about how to build the sets and what cards go in them. Anyone look at the half set I posted? We might want to considering filling gaps with fictional cards that we invent and cardize in Magic Set Editor (for example).

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 14 Mar 2009, 13:21

GandoTheBard wrote:Yeah well a good limited deck should have 16-17 creatures 6-7 non creatures and 17-18 lands on average. If you can't muster a deck like that then clearly the algorithm needs to be rewritten, but part of that is that there are no sets. Just a big pile of "goo" so to speak. We should be thinking about how to build the sets and what cards go in them. Anyone look at the half set I posted? We might want to considering filling gaps with fictional cards that we invent and cardize in Magic Set Editor (for example).
I should have mentioned that the spell situation is improving. Some new keywords are allowing me to add in some additional spells. I enjoyed watching the computer cast a Bee Sting against me in a recent game. :D

The new enchantments from Dennis is helping to make things better. I suspect it won't be long before he responds with Tranquility. :roll:

I saw your sets that you posted. It gives us something to think about. Have you had a chance to investigate the two quest mode changes that Dennis made, land stacking and guide line adjustments?
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 15 Mar 2009, 07:00

I've looked into this a little bit. The tricky part here, is that cards are read from the data dictionary files, then stored into ArrayLists.
I think rares has done this on purpose, because ArrayLists can be stored (serializable), doesn't work with CardList... anyway, I'll have to experiment with this a bunch more.

What do you guys think about fetching 5 random commons of blue, black and white in addition to the current starting pool of cards?
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 15 Mar 2009, 11:19

DennisBergkamp wrote:What do you guys think about fetching 5 random commons of blue, black and white in addition to the current starting pool of cards?
I think that your idea is worth consideration. Ii may not require a large amount of coding.

I am still working on my first quest. I like the idea of winning random cards while playing the quest. Half way through the quest I find that I am able to field an interesting WU deck.

At some point in the future people will want to consider a game store where we buy cards for money or trade cards on a 2 for 1 basis. I imagine that this would require more coding work than "fetching 5 random commons of blue, black and white in addition to the current starting pool of cards?"
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 15 Mar 2009, 11:50

A store would need the following:
-- All cards available would need a point value. (A fairly large chore imho)
-- Random cards available at different times. If you dont buy the Berserk now it may be gone next time you check.
-- UI store type listing, maybe some graphics.
-- A trade policy for buying cards and a currency. Do the players gain "$$$" for questing? If so is this in place of cards/packs? Do we only get "$$$" from selling cards? questions to be answered.

Also a store could sell packs instead of singles which would be dynamically generated on the fly as per needed. If this is even desirable.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 15 Mar 2009, 13:13

GandoTheBard wrote:A store would need the following:
-- All cards available would need a point value. (A fairly large chore imho)
-- Random cards available at different times. If you dont buy the Berserk now it may be gone next time you check.
-- UI store type listing, maybe some graphics.
-- A trade policy for buying cards and a currency. Do the players gain "$$$" for questing? If so is this in place of cards/packs? Do we only get "$$$" from selling cards? questions to be answered.

Also a store could sell packs instead of singles which would be dynamically generated on the fly as per needed. If this is even desirable.
My primary concern is the amount of work and time that it would take. It may be far simplier to trade cards on a 2 for 1 basis.

Lets say I have a Kobolds of Kher Keep and an Opt that I can live without. I might want to trade this for a single Lightning Bolt.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 15 Mar 2009, 23:30

if I was a store trader Id laugh at you for even suggesting such a deal...if I didnt have you thrown out...Lightning bolt is worth 10x those cards. :D

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 15 Mar 2009, 23:33

GandoTheBard wrote:if I was a store trader Id laugh at you for even suggesting such a deal...if I didnt have you thrown out...Lightning bolt is worth 10x those cards. :D
:lol:

I'm just engaging in some intellectual exercise. :wink:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 16 Mar 2009, 06:31

I've added in code to give 5 of Blue/White/Black commons at the beginning. I like this change, it seems a little more balanced and easier to build a deck from the start.

Another experimental thing I've added is that a random rare is won after 5 wins (untested).
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 17 Mar 2009, 19:24

MTG Forge tends to have more creatures than spells, so the booster packs have more creatures. The booster packs could be evenly distributed between creatures/spells and the 5 colors.

I used ArrayList instead of CardList because I was dealing with just the card names, the cards themselves didn't matter. You can convert the ArrayList into Card objects using AllZone.CardFactory.getCard(String cardName, String owner). The owner isn't important and you can just use an empty string, "" (The owner IS important when you are playing a game, since that card goes into its owner's graveyard. But the easiest way to figure if the String "Giant Growth" is a creature, spell, or color is to convert it into a Card object.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby GandoTheBard » 17 Mar 2009, 19:46

mtgrares wrote:MTG Forge tends to have more creatures than spells, so the booster packs have more creatures. The booster packs could be evenly distributed between creatures/spells and the 5 colors.

I used ArrayList instead of CardList because I was dealing with just the card names, the cards themselves didn't matter. You can convert the ArrayList into Card objects using AllZone.CardFactory.getCard(String cardName, String owner). The owner isn't important and you can just use an empty string, "" (The owner IS important when you are playing a game, since that card goes into its owner's graveyard. But the easiest way to figure if the String "Giant Growth" is a creature, spell, or color is to convert it into a Card object.)
Yeah what we really need is to make 5 different types of boosters and then award them differently based on accomplishment/stage of questing and rewards for specific quests. Maybe even give the proposed store some random ones to purchase for x cards/points.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Huggybaby » 18 Mar 2009, 00:56

It would be cool to have an avatar face representing the player and the AI. When you give damage you smile, when you take damage you frown, like the Doom guy. Image It doesn't have to be animated or anything like that.

I don't know why this forum is so bereft of graphics people (all of CCGHQ I mean, I'm not picking on anyone). I know rares isn't into the graphics thing but this can't be rocket science.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby frwololo » 18 Mar 2009, 01:16

Huggybaby wrote: I know rares isn't into the graphics thing but this can't be rocket science.
Yeah. Rocket science is a thing you can learn. graphics is a thing that requires a gift :(
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Next

Return to Forge