It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:55

Text Size

ML3 Tournament

Monthly Tournaments , Results ,Tournament Ideas Etc.

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

ML3 Tournament

Postby stassy » 28 Mar 2013, 12:47

ML3 Tournament brainstorming

Current available players:
thedrigo, ok next weeks
gmzombie
stassy
RanDomino
triol, after his wedding
jmlima

thedrigo wrote:Also--- I have a quick question. It's been a few years since we've had one of the famed tournaments we used to do. I think the card pool right now allows for a standard tournament to be held. I'm on forced vacations (I moved to another country and won't receive my work permit for a few weeks) so I can organize one if someone would be so kind as to explain how to do it. :D
Let me know if people are interested.
stassy

Re: ML3 Tournament

Postby stassy » 28 Mar 2013, 12:53

gmzombie wrote:I'm interested in putting in my deck for sure. I don't know how they did it last time though..sorry bout that
stassy

Postby stassy » 28 Mar 2013, 12:54

About the tournament system, it all depend on players dedication because the more there are, the more matches they must report (each deck compete with each others for the 1st bracket).

If there is less players but more than 4, you can try special tournament like Rotisserie and such, but I don't know if current beta draft can be usable now...

Also, I am not sure standard is a good suggestion as current MTG standard RVR GTC, Crashing Lorwyn is still in the "v1" release and I always consider v1 the beta and the next expansion/patch the v3 of the previous one :mrgreen: (meaning the bugs from the previous patch are supposed to be done for after 2 cleansing, v1 -> v2 -> next patch v1 = previous patch v3)

Currently the blocks with the less bug reports seems to be Innistrad and M10 to M13, but special themed tournament would be nice (something Challenge-like with specific rule restriction)
stassy

Postby stassy » 28 Mar 2013, 12:55

thedrigo wrote:We could do a block constructed one or, now that we can, limit the usable sets to a certain amount of expansions, i.e. the Standard of Fall 2006 or whatever. I think that would be fun... How many people would like in? Just to have an idea.
stassy

Postby ozks » 28 Mar 2013, 18:47

i dont know manalink works on multiplayer?
ozks

Postby stassy » 28 Mar 2013, 20:56

Nope, it's a "deck construction" contest that some players did some time ago : each player submit a deck under a specific rule and each players compete against the AI in a round robin system in the 1st round with every decks. The decks that get the most points by victory after all players submission are gathered advance in the next round and so on until the finals.

Originally the owner deck winner had the choice of a card to be coded, but later after some Vintage and Legacy tournament there was also a singleton, an EDH and some handicap tournament that were held just for fun(you can check the tournament history in this section).

The most problematic issue is the availability of the players, it take quite some time to sort results and to play all matches.
stassy

Postby RanDomino » 29 Mar 2013, 01:18

I might be interested.
RanDomino

Postby stassy » 29 Mar 2013, 04:06

Will put the list of interested player and their availability on op, so far :

thedrigo, ok next weeks
gmzombie
stassy
RanDomino
triol, after his wedding :P

Also please tell us what kind of tournament you would like to attend (don't forget to check what is currently available, what card is bugged and so on...)
stassy

Postby ozks » 30 Mar 2013, 02:45

i can play with this deck?
sometimes can be slow, but most of the time make you sweat
edit:deleted file
Last edited by ozks on 30 Mar 2013, 06:13, edited 1 time in total.
ozks

Postby stassy » 30 Mar 2013, 04:19

Wait, the tournament rules are not even set :P

Also, usually players submit their deck by PM to the tournament organizer for obvious meta reason (you wouldn't want others players to make their deck that counter your so easily :pp).
Of course, once all decks are submitted and rules/organization set, the organizer will post all the decks at once so players can play them at once.
stassy

Postby jmlima » 02 Apr 2013, 18:27

How does this works, does ML 3.0 allows direct connection?

If so, what are the config settings.

Or does this uses hamachi, if so, is there a 'dummies' guide on how to do it, or is anyone willing to help?

I really like the idea of a tournament.
jmlima

Postby Aswan jaguar » 02 Apr 2013, 19:50

Unfortunately,as most cards can't be played online (they crash the game)the tournaments we held are against the AI.
Someone organises the tournament, sets the rules then participants make their decks and submit them to the tournament organiser via pm so nobody knows the decks (apart the tour organiser) he makes a lottery (preferably)to determine the groups or 1-1 games then submits the decks for everyone to play matches against the AI.The organiser also sets the rules about the win points if there are groups.Then players play all decks against the others (AI) post their results (more detailed reports are welcome,too)and decks that gathered most points advance to next round.

We can only wish for someone to make all our cards available for internet play and have a real tournament some day....
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby jmlima » 02 Apr 2013, 19:59

Well, count me in.

Where can I check the rules for decks, etc?
jmlima

Postby stassy » 03 Apr 2013, 06:50

Well, thedrigo *cough* voluntered himself *cough* to organize it, we posted all the infos that we could and this very section can be read on how were organized past tournament so it's up to him or if someone can lend him a hand...
stassy

Postby jmlima » 03 Apr 2013, 09:32

heck, I'll take a stab at a rules proposal:

Back in time tournament

Name the deck for submission: (your forum nickname)_(deck's name)

Deck-building rules:

-Constructed decks must contain a minimum of sixty cards. There is no maximum deck size.
-With the exception of basic land cards, a player’s combined deck and sideboard may not contain more than four of any individual card, counted by its English card title equivalent. All cards named Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountain, and Forest are basic.
- The theme for the tournament is Magic 2010, as described in the blurb:

The Magic 2010 core set is a game-changer. That's because it's packed with 50% classics from the past and 50% classics-in-the-making. That's right—new content in a core set! This historic release also heralds the return of Lightning Bolt – a blast from the past that's sure to electrify your game.

Cards available for deck building are those from the following sets (and contained in the magic.exe):

Magic 2010
Zendikar
Worldwake
Rise of the Eldrazi

Banned cards:

Jace, the Mind Sculptor
Ponder
Stoneforge Mystic

Scoring:

player-AI 2-0 2p-0p
player-AI 2-1 2p-1,5p
player-AI 1-2 1p-3p