It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 03:29

Text Size

Drawcardlib revisited

Discuss Upcoming Releases, Coding New Cards, Etc.
PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS HERE!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Drawcardlib revisited

Postby Sonic » 13 Oct 2013, 22:04

Korath wrote:I think it's more of a matter of the default rules text size being too large.
I was taking on board what stassy posted about my original modern templates when I first posted them with the font size reduced.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11173&start=30#p126456

The text boxes in my modern templates neigh on matches the vertical dimensions of the original game templates - which are are also oversized from the classic paperstock layouts. Even then I found the font looked better when sized fractionally larger than it appears in the paper stock to accommodate a lower screen resolution.
Aesthetically, I think an oversized text box would better balance with a fractionally larger font. Than it would do with the same sized font which could appear disproportionately larger when framed within a smaller text box... If that makes sense. :wink:
Working On: Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Korath » 14 Oct 2013, 18:27

futuresight4.jpg
Just need power/toughness boxes before I consider this good enough. It's not as trivial as providing the imagery; it needs new logic to pick which color to use (since it always has to match the frame element on the right), and can't even use the same logic to pick whether to use light or dark text as the title/type bars do.

Minor issues that are more trouble than they're worth to fix:
  • The mana symbols use the normal imagery instead of future ones
  • The third and fourth mana symbol fractionally overlap the top third of the left curved frame instead of being between the center and top thirds
  • Dual lands should have their right-side color extend partially up the back third of the curved frame on the left
Major issue that I can't do anything about:
  • The artwork is stretched too tall (and too far to the left) so that it fits behind all the transparent frame elements. I could get some more leeway by making the colorless-land template opaque (especially since we don't have Zoetic Cavern anyway), but it's not enough to make much difference.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby gmzombie » 14 Oct 2013, 18:48

This is great. Just have one question is this now going to have old cards with old background and new cards with modern borders and so on?
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Korath » 15 Oct 2013, 23:14

Yes. (And a development snapshot's been posted. If it sets your computer on fire, make sure to get a photo.)
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby gmzombie » 16 Oct 2013, 11:45

trying to check this out but it tells me im missing a cardov_colorlessland.png in the all folders?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Korath » 16 Oct 2013, 18:37

Peculiar. With the Duel.dat I posted, it should only be looking for it in Cardart/classic, Cardart/timeshift, and Cardart/futureshift, and all three versions are in the media zip. If you hadn't downloaded that it should be complaining about missing a lot more than CardOv_ColorlessLand.png.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby gmzombie » 16 Oct 2013, 20:49

My bad I got it..had someone in the wrong area. It is Looking great.

gmzombie

Postby Korath » 24 Nov 2013, 00:10

This still requiresd an annoying amount of extra markup in Manalink.csv, which I hope to cut down on I've eliminated.
Attachments
tezzeret.jpg
xenagos.jpg
Last edited by Korath on 29 Nov 2013, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Sonic » 24 Nov 2013, 16:56

Very clever. I assume it looks for the loyalty counter values text string in the rules text.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Korath » 29 Nov 2013, 08:02

It didn't before; it does now. Current method is much less general than it was before, and will need to be updated if we have to deal with a planeswalker whose initial loyalty isn't numeric (perhaps X), or who has a loyalty cost that isn't 0 or + or - X or some number (perhaps XX).

On the other hand, the only planeswalker whose unaltered rules text it can't deal with is Garruk Relentless, and him only because of the Garruk, the Veil-Cursed text spliced in. (Either the +1 ability needs to move to the start of a line, or the -1 and -3 abilities need to move away from the start.)

These should be much more usable than the current counter display on smallcards:
Attachments
pw-smallcards.jpg
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Sonic » 30 Nov 2013, 00:33

Korath wrote:On the other hand, the only planeswalker whose unaltered rules text it can't deal with is Garruk Relentless, and him only because of the Garruk, the Veil-Cursed text spliced in. (Either the +1 ability needs to move to the start of a line, or the -1 and -3 abilities need to move away from the start.)
So a simple solution would be to just to change the 'Garruk, the Veil-Cursed' spliced part of the rules text to:

(Garruk, the Veil-Cursed)\n+1: Put a 1/1 |Sblack Wolf creature token with deathtouch onto....

With '\n' added after the closing bracket this would then drop '+1: Put a...' onto a new line.
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Korath » 26 Dec 2013, 18:06

schemes.jpg
Inability to change fonts and text size between different frame types is starting to get very annoying. It's particularly glaring on archenemy schemes, since the title and type bars are so short.

Expanded text with translucent textboxes needs work. Obviously.

It's a pity we don't have access to full-card artwork. TranslucentColorless=1 (stretch the art over the whole frame, then draw it again in its normal position; shown here) pretty well for most of the schemes, but pretty mediocre for a few. I Bask in Your Silent Awe ends up looking particularly bad; fortunately, it's not coded anyway.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Sonic » 30 Dec 2013, 03:10

Korath wrote:It's a pity we don't have access to full-card artwork. TranslucentColorless=1 (stretch the art over the whole frame, then draw it again in its normal position; shown here) pretty well for most of the schemes, but pretty mediocre for a few. I Bask in Your Silent Awe ends up looking particularly bad; fortunately, it's not coded anyway.
Same situation as Future Sight card art, unfortunately. :(
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Sonic » 31 Dec 2013, 03:43

Korath wrote:Vanguard cards. Would be easy, except the actual vanguard frames are so horribly ugly that I refuse to implement them.
Even if someone supplied the card frame? :wink:

Imagehttp://www.mediafire.com/view/o8k6s75rj ... nguard.png
Sonic
Apprentice

Postby Korath » 02 Jan 2014, 11:03

I've added support for them, but haven't configured. They just point at the Token frame's config file for now, so they won't look any different than they currently do in-game, but will at least use the same frame in the deckbuilder. I haven't attempted to parse the hand and life modifiers to put them in the lower corners, either. The title will be centerable (I added that for schemes), but the type line still left-justified. On the other hand, I think it's the same for all the vanguard cards, so I guess it could be placed manually as a stopgap.

I've also added support for internal effects, like Rules Engine, Deadbox, and planeswalker emblems. They also point at the Token frame's config.

I've also added support for Planes, too, also pointing at Token. They currently seem to all use 1FFF for their New Types 1 instead of 1005, though, so they end up using whatever Internal is configured to instead of Plane.
Korath
DEVELOPER

PreviousNext

Return to Development