It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:07

Text Size

How to get started?

Post MTG Forge Related Programming Questions Here

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: How to get started?

Postby oskarolw » 07 Feb 2014, 11:48

Max, I tried to Run As... and tried some of the Maven options and also tried to run it as Java but I can't seem to do that anymore. I don't really know what my Run Configuration should look like. But I don't really understand how the Maven works either, like I said if I import from maven now I get like a copy of forge-gui that has tons of errors in it.
oskarolw

Postby Chris H. » 09 Feb 2014, 22:38

oskarolw wrote:I don't quite get how Run Configurations are supposed to work. I can not seem to run anything as Java but I have the options to run as Maven, that gives me some log-output which sais something like:
SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
[INFO] Forge Parent ...................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Forge Core ........................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] Forge Game ........................................ SKIPPED
[INFO] Forge AI .......................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Forge Net ......................................... SKIPPED
[INFO] Forge ............................................. SKIPPED
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE

I select the Package Explorer view and then select ForgeLocal [trunk]. From there I go to

Run -> Run Configurations…

Then select Java Application on the left and click on the

New launch configuration

icon that is located above the type filter text object. Give an appropriate name in the name box. Then make sure that the Main tab is selected. Then enter the following data into the Project and Main class boxes:

Project
forge-gui

Main class
forge.view.Main

Then select the (x)= Arguments tab and enter in the following VM arguments

VM arguments
-Xmx1024m

and this will increase the java heap space as Forge is run. Click on the Apply button and then click on the Run button. Forge should then launch.

From then on you should be able to launch forge by selecting the Package Explorer view and then select ForgeLocal [trunk]. And from there you can select

Run -> Run History

and select your launch configuration form the list shown.

I would suggest that you ignore the

Run -> Run As

Maven commands. Dave is our resident Maven expert and he set up our current Maven system. Prior to this I had to hand build the project and the archive and this was a lot of time consuming work to do on a daily basis. I now execute from a term window a couple of shell scripts that do the work for me. Maven is testing, building and deploying the archive to our cardforge site. :)

Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby oskarolw » 10 Feb 2014, 08:50

Thank you for your help!

My issue seems to be that Eclipse can not find any projects (even though they exist)

:(
oskarolw

Postby moomarc » 10 Feb 2014, 14:48

It looks like you haven't done the 'import existing maven project' step.

Go File > Import, then select Existing Maven Project as per the screen shot below.
Change Root Directory to your the root project you have there already. I think Chris said at some point you only need to import the forge-gui module, but I just select all the checkboxes. Click Finish and you should be done. Possibly run Maven > Update Project from the right click context menu. After that you can just update with usual SVN synchronise. If at some point it stops working, try the maven update again or try import existing project again as a new module might have been added.
Attachments
import project.jpg
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby oskarolw » 11 Feb 2014, 10:12

I did the maven-import again and now I am kinda back to where I was before. I get a few errors like in the picture and if I try to run it as java it sais it can't find the Main-file, even though I can search for it in the Run Config...

oskarolw

Postby Max mtg » 11 Feb 2014, 11:20

I guess we really need some tutorial videos :)
Will anyone record a video dedicated to working environment setup? A speaker with native English (or a very well learnt one) is preferred of course.

I'll do it on Sunday if noone else does by that day. (and my English is neither good nor natrive :)
Single class for single responsibility.
Max mtg
Programmer

Postby moomarc » 11 Feb 2014, 13:47

Looking at the errors, he's almost there though. Its just looking for the other module's poms, so I guess you do need to import all the modules. So import the others, then update project via maven in context menu, and I think it should work. I did mine a while ago, but after that and getting the run configuration right, I think it should work. The config should look like the attached image.
Attachments
run config.jpg
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby oskarolw » 11 Feb 2014, 14:06

Yey now it works again! Thank you guys :D

It was so confusing that you need doubles of all the projects, I think the reason it broke before was probably that forge-net was introduced and I didn't make new maven-imports? :S

So like I wrote in another thread now I just need to figure out the structure a bit better, if Max or someone else has time to do a small tutorial it would be awesome.
oskarolw

Postby Headrock » 03 Mar 2014, 00:18

Alrighty, my turn now.

So here's what I've done so far:
1) Downloaded and installed the JDK. It also installed something called Glassfish, which I was unhappy with, but I figure there was no other way to install the JDK anyway so I just went with it.
2) Downloaded and installed Eclipse. Went smooth.
3) Failed to download and install Subclipse. It seems that the "Install New Software" menu is incapable of connecting to any repository I've tried, something called a "provision exception". I searched google for an answer, tried a lot of stuff to get it to work, including turning off my firewall and adding arguments to the eclipse run command, no go.
4) Drdev said I would be fine just using Tortoise to get the source and open it in Eclipse. Tortoise did work just fine and I checked out the trunk. So far so good.
5) After several attempts to import the source code as a project into Eclipse, I have yet to be able to run the program properly. My most "successful" attempt was this:
* Right-click on the project explorer -> import -> Existing projects into workspace -> Set the source code directory, checked "search for nested", then checked all projects that appeared as well as "copy into workspace".
* With this, most projects are listed as having errors (small red x on the project icon), and the error log shows 16,301 errors (btw, how can I actually see more than the first 100 errors?). I can run the forge-m-desktop project, which gives me a splash screen and then freezes with an error in the build results window. Attempts to run the forge-gui project result in the following:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
CardStorageReader cannot be resolved to a type
CardStorageReader cannot be resolved to a variable
Observer cannot be resolved to a type
StaticData cannot be resolved to a type
StaticData cannot be resolved to a type

at forge.Singletons.initializeOnce(Singletons.java:59)
at forge.view.Main.main(Main.java:39)
Attempts to run the ForgeLocal project give me the run configuration menu, where I've tried inputting the values mentioned in previous posts. This results in the same error message as above.

Your turn, code wizards.
Headrock

Postby moomarc » 03 Mar 2014, 05:26

Have you performed the maven related steps mentioned a few posts above? or: once you have your project imported, go to file>import>maven>from existing project. Import all the packages listed. That should help.

There was also an issue with nobody being able to compile the project recently due to some changes in the maven setup. Those changes have been reverted now so maybe that was also affecting you
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Headrock » 03 Mar 2014, 05:57

Well my main problem with Maven is that, again, I can't do "install new software"...
Headrock

Postby moomarc » 03 Mar 2014, 06:06

Unfortunately I'm not well-enough acquainted with Eclipse to help out there. I just installed the version of Eclipse with Maven integration included when I set everything up again as a 64-bit setup. When I'm on my PC later I can also get the repository locations I used for subversion. I hope youanagr to get this all working. I think there's a lot of people hoping to see you get the strategy later working.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby swordshine » 03 Mar 2014, 09:11

swordshine

Postby Headrock » 03 Mar 2014, 16:18

@ Swordshine, yeah I did follow that page's instructions, right up to the point where Eclipse totally refused to download (or indeed locate) any plugins, so that's a no-go.
Headrock

Postby Chris H. » 03 Mar 2014, 16:50

Headrock wrote:Well my main problem with Maven is that, again, I can't do "install new software"...

When you select the Help -> Install New Software… from within Eclipse you should get the following dialog, do you get a similar dialog?

Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Developer's Corner