It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:47

Text Size

WotC Preconstructed Decks

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: WotC Preconstructed Decks

Postby gos » 19 Jan 2014, 12:14

Diogenes wrote:Hey Gos, it looks like 70/73 Duels of the Planeswalkers decks are now completely supported by Forge, including their sideboards.
I'm not familiar with "70/73". What decks are you talking about?

Diogenes wrote:On a separate note, I've been hunting down lists for the old samplers and introductory packs (not quite done, though.) There are more than I expected. Would you consider creating a new collection for intro decks and maintaining it separately from the 'advanced' precons?
I'd really like to add these decks. I don't have any problem having them in a separate collection, if that's anybody's preference. Otherwise, I would just add them to this thread.
gos

Postby Diogenes » 19 Jan 2014, 12:44

gos wrote:
Diogenes wrote:Hey Gos, it looks like 70/73 Duels of the Planeswalkers decks are now completely supported by Forge, including their sideboards.
I'm not familiar with "70/73". What decks are you talking about?
Sorry, I meant that of the seventy-three total decks from the Duels of the Planeswalkers series seventy now have all the cards in their sideboards (unlocks) supported by Forge. You have all these decks in the master package, but most only have their mainboard lists. I've added the unlocks to the sideboard for all of these decks, and to the three which have unsupported cards in the sideboards but whose mainboards are included in the current collection (I commented out just those cards with a semi-colon so that Forge will still load the decks.)

Also, the decks from dotp 2012 expansion three had three extra cards each (which were actually the three cards added to Tezzeret - Machinations in that expansion.)

gos wrote:I'd really like to add these decks. I don't have any problem having them in a separate collection, if that's anybody's preference. Otherwise, I would just add them to this thread.
Okay, I'll post the collection as soon as it's done. I'm still looking for lists for a couple of these, and I haven't formatted any as proper decks yet.

[Edit: I have the Portal Three Kingdoms Two Player Starter Set decks done, so I'm attaching those.]
Attachments
PTK Two Player Starter Set.zip
(941 Bytes) Downloaded 328 times
Diogenes

Postby gos » 01 Feb 2014, 10:36

3 Born of the Gods intro packs are made forgeable by the new version of forge, 1.5.11:

Born of the Gods: Death's Beginning; Forged in Battle; Gifts of the Gods
Attachments
precon-update-1.5.11.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
gos

Postby gos » 06 Feb 2014, 13:04

The Born of the Gods event deck is forgeable:

Born of the Gods Event Deck: Underworld Herald
Attachments
precon-botgevent-update.zip
(472 Bytes) Downloaded 312 times
gos

Postby gos » 08 Feb 2014, 13:48

1 Preconstructed deck is made forgeable by the new version of forge, 1.5.12:

Born of the Gods: Inspiration-Struck
Attachments
precon-update-1.5.12.zip
(531 Bytes) Downloaded 296 times
gos

Postby gos » 22 Feb 2014, 15:45

2 Preconstructed decks are made forgeable by the new version of forge, 1.5.13:

Coldsnap: Beyond the Grave
Invasion: Blowout
Attachments
precon-update-1.5.13.zip
(895 Bytes) Downloaded 287 times
gos

Postby otherright » 25 Feb 2014, 20:26

Do the DotP decks have the sideboards, and if not, can we do that?
otherright

Postby gos » 25 Feb 2014, 20:34

otherright wrote:Do the DotP decks have the sideboards, and if not, can we do that?
The DotP decks generally have sideboards if the sideboards were forgeable when the decks were first posted here. I have no overview of which of the decks that includes, and which sideboards have subsequently become forgeable. I fully intend to solve this one day programmatically, but haven't had the time to do so.

I've generally provided sideboards, if possible, when people ask for specific ones. If you know which decks specifically are missing them, that would speed up the process considerably.
gos

Postby gos » 25 Feb 2014, 21:55

I've added sideboards to most of the DotP decks in the zip-file in the first post of this thread. There are a few whose sideboards are still not forgeable.
gos

Postby gos » 03 Mar 2014, 15:10

Both Jace and Vraska are forgeable:

Duel Decks: Jave vs. Vraska: Jace; Vraska
Attachments
precon-jvv-update.zip
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
gos

Postby Marek14 » 04 Mar 2014, 11:08

gos wrote:Both Jace and Vraska are forgeable:

Duel Decks: Jace vs. Vraska: Jace; Vraska
You know, I think you should change the name of those decks by adding a descriptor or something -- there are tons of decks with "Jace" in the name, making it hard to search for this particular one, not to mention that this is not even first duel deck for Jace :)

I believe the whole group of Preconstructed decks could benefit from a bit more consistent names. For example, instead of Divine there could be DD Divine vs. Demonic - Divine (or maybe DD Divine (vs. Demonic) and DD Demonic (vs. Divine)?). Duels of the Planeswalkers decks could have "DotP <year>[expansion] -
<name> (<planeswalker>)" format. Intro packs could have "<Set> Preconstructed Deck/Intro Pack - <name>".

Finally, Duel Decks and Premium Deck Series could have their actual image sets specified -- after all, they exist specifically for those products. I guess the problem is that the sets are generally released on Forge later than the decklists themselves, but this is usually only problem for the latest decks (Jace vs. Vraska at this point) and it can be always fixed later.

EDIT: Which also reminds me -- the Coldsnap preconstructed decks actually had specially made cards from Ice Age/Alliances, but with the modern cardframe. Could these be added to Forge for use in these decks?
Marek14
Tester

Postby gos » 04 Mar 2014, 13:45

Marek14 wrote:You know, I think you should change the name of those decks by adding a descriptor or something -- there are tons of decks with "Jace" in the name, making it hard to search for this particular one, not to mention that this is not even first duel deck for Jace :)

I believe the whole group of Preconstructed decks could benefit from a bit more consistent names. For example, instead of Divine there could be DD Divine vs. Demonic - Divine (or maybe DD Divine (vs. Demonic) and DD Demonic (vs. Divine)?). Duels of the Planeswalkers decks could have "DotP <year>[expansion] -
<name> (<planeswalker>)" format. Intro packs could have "<Set> Preconstructed Deck/Intro Pack - <name>".
Yeah, I'm aware of this problem. A canonical naming system certainly appears necessary, but I'd like to approach this holistically, rather than just jumping in based on the needs of one particular category of decks. The fact that the new interface for choosing a deck in constructed matches shows subfolders and allows sorting really makes the current situation a lot less of a pain. I suggest using subfolders to organize decks for the time being.

I also have a huge bunch of decks which are poorly named and which I would like to standardise in some manner or other. Furthermore, forge development proceeds at a very fast rate and possibilities like adding metadata to the dck files for attributes like the ones you mention above are very real and potentially a much better solution.

Marek14 wrote:Finally, Duel Decks and Premium Deck Series could have their actual image sets specified -- after all, they exist specifically for those products. I guess the problem is that the sets are generally released on Forge later than the decklists themselves, but this is usually only problem for the latest decks (Jace vs. Vraska at this point) and it can be always fixed later.
This would be a very nice feature. In a perfect world, each deck would have period-appropriate image sets specified. Aside from the problem you name, there is also the plain fact that this would take even more time than the already considerable amount I spend doing this. I might very well add this to the Duel Decks and Premium Deck Series, because it's simple, but actively paying attention to when images for new sets are added to fix previously added decks seems like too much bother.
gos

Postby Marek14 » 04 Mar 2014, 20:05

gos wrote:Yeah, I'm aware of this problem. A canonical naming system certainly appears necessary, but I'd like to approach this holistically, rather than just jumping in based on the needs of one particular category of decks. The fact that the new interface for choosing a deck in constructed matches shows subfolders and allows sorting really makes the current situation a lot less of a pain. I suggest using subfolders to organize decks for the time being.
Already doing that.

I also have a huge bunch of decks which are poorly named and which I would like to standardise in some manner or other. Furthermore, forge development proceeds at a very fast rate and possibilities like adding metadata to the dck files for attributes like the ones you mention above are very real and potentially a much better solution.
Yes, but of course only if they are searchable.

Marek14 wrote:Finally, Duel Decks and Premium Deck Series could have their actual image sets specified -- after all, they exist specifically for those products. I guess the problem is that the sets are generally released on Forge later than the decklists themselves, but this is usually only problem for the latest decks (Jace vs. Vraska at this point) and it can be always fixed later.
This would be a very nice feature. In a perfect world, each deck would have period-appropriate image sets specified. Aside from the problem you name, there is also the plain fact that this would take even more time than the already considerable amount I spend doing this. I might very well add this to the Duel Decks and Premium Deck Series, because it's simple, but actively paying attention to when images for new sets are added to fix previously added decks seems like too much bother.
Well, the period-appropriate image sets problem is already resolved -- Forge now selects the card images much more intelligently. Duel Decks/Premium Decks are the only wrinkle since they do not generally contain new cards, but have their own images (and images from premium sets are not used by Forge unless they are specifically asked for).

As for actively paying attention, it's not that bad -- the important thing is only when Forge adds the set (then the deck can be modified), not when the pictures are released. And new releases are, of course, something you monitor anyway :)
Marek14
Tester

Postby Xitax » 05 Mar 2014, 01:09

In fact I would say that the only decks that have any need of predefined set assignments are WotC preconstructed decks of certain kinds, now.
Xitax

Postby gos » 05 Mar 2014, 09:26

I've added set assignments to the Duel Decks (except Jace vs Vraska), Premium Decks, Planechase and Archenemy.

Marek14 wrote:As for actively paying attention, it's not that bad
YMMV :)
gos

PreviousNext

Return to Forge Decks