Magic Online's Vintage Masters

Discuss Card Scans and Other Artwork Here

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Magic Online's Vintage Masters

Postby deicidemilan » 23 Oct 2013, 10:00

deicidemilan

Vintage Masters

Postby tenminutegod » 17 Sep 2014, 01:31

I don't know how much we care about MTGO here, but the card images for Vintage Masters on magiccards.info are terrible, so I took some better screenshots of them.

They aren't quite the same aspect ratio as real cards, so I matched the width up to our normal full scans. I would have done a higher resolution, but the art was starting to blur already.

I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the highlighted ability words on the planeswalkers. If anyone knows how, let me know and I'll fix Jace and Dack.
Attachments
vintage_masters.zip
(39.08 MiB) Downloaded 2769 times
tenminutegod

Re: Magic Online's Vintage Masters

Postby Teppic » 19 Sep 2014, 06:52

On a related note, I've actually been collecting all high-quality cropped art from this set so that I can generate much nicer images. I think I have art for two thirds of the set. If people want to release them when I'm done, like for the Masters Edition sets, that's fine.

Attachments
Lion's Eye Diamond-ccghq.jpg
Black Lotus-ccghq.jpg

Postby skibulk » 19 Sep 2014, 08:51

Thanks Teppic! Please do render them all. If you need any help with collecting hard-to-find artwork, let me know. I know a few tricks. It would be helpful to post the artwork separately, both raw and cropped for rendering.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby KTS » 19 Sep 2014, 20:13

This is so great! Thank you for this good job!
Can you do this cards with the classic shaped borders? Thank you again, there are awesome. =D>
KTS

Postby charlequin » 23 Sep 2014, 02:06

These are super great. Thanks for all the hard work getting them together!

At this point we've seen very high-quality recreations of all four Masters Editions as well as Vintage Masters now, so I'm wondering: has anyone tried to do the same thing with the various iterations of the Magic Online cube? I've managed to collect a good portion of the unique illustrations that haven't been used anywhere else, but I haven't seen card mockups. I might try to figure out how feasible this project would be if no one else has tackled it.
charlequin
HQ Team Member

Postby skibulk » 23 Sep 2014, 02:16

@charlequin - I have never seen renders for them. There are more MTGO exclusive sets that could to be rendered as well:

Duel Decks:
+ Mirrodin Pure vs. New Phyrexia

Theme Decks:
+ Boltslinger
+ Exiler
+ Deathdancer Xira
+ Enchantress Rubinia

Here's a tip for finding high quality artwork: if you have a low-resolution image, drag the file into Google Image Search. That will preform a "similar images" query based on the file. If you can't find something in particular, post a list of what you're missing.
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby charlequin » 23 Sep 2014, 05:02

Yeah, all those should be a bit easier to get simply by viewing them in MTGO's collection viewer. The difficulty with the Cube cards would be that there doesn't seem to be any way to actually review the cards in the Cube outside of a draft; those will all have to be recreated from card art plus screencaps from other versions, I'd guess.

In terms of the art, I'll dig through what I've got, try to fix up anything I'm still missing, and post a list here in the next few days. The next step would be to identify which cards have had alternate art to see how comprehensive that is, I guess.
charlequin
HQ Team Member

Postby Dstinct » 19 Oct 2014, 18:57

Overall the scans available aren't brutal. I do like the darker made ones that Teppic is working on and will likely replace my set in Cockatrice when they are made available (assuming that they are still being worked on). In particular, I really like how the expansion symbols, especially the ultra rare one, look because they are so much cleaner.

There are a few cards that are a problem with the current captures:

dack fayden
jace, the mind sculptor

For some reason, these planeswalkers have their keywords highlighted which looks really awkward. I don't know why "target" is highlighted on these ones while the other cards in the set are not.

city in a bottle

The word "arabian nights" is blue and underlined.

kongming, "sleeping dragon"

Because MTGO doesn't scale it title text, it is listed as "kongming, "sleeping drag...

Are you actively searching for the cropped art, or are you just using the existing screen caps and cropping them out?

Is there an ETA on this?

Thanks for all your hard work.
Dstinct

Postby Teppic » 20 Oct 2014, 22:03

In answer to your questions: I'm collecting high-quality art, since the mtg art is so low quality. Yes, I'm still working on these but also busy with a few other things.

I won't do old frame versions. I want to match the versions from MTGO (I'd like high-quality art for VMA set in my apps). But we will make all the crops available, so someone else is free to render these.

It would be great if people could help out looking for cropped art. I've attached the current cropped art sizes (width) I have for all VMA cards. It would be great if we could could get higher quality art for anything that currently has a 300-600 pixel width. Have a look in mtgo to see artwork and artist for particular cards.

VMA-crop-sizes.txt
(6.19 KiB) Downloaded 740 times

Attachments
Time Vault.jpeg
Mana Drain.jpeg
Eureka.jpeg
Bazaar of Baghdad.jpeg

Postby meep.o.matic » 25 Oct 2014, 20:27

@ Teppic

I wasn't aware that you redid the Masters Editions. Have you released them in the forums? If so would you please be as kind as to point me where? Thank you, and please keep up the fine work with Vintage Masters!
meep.o.matic

Postby machinegun » 03 Nov 2014, 17:52

There is Mishra's Workshop art from the artist on deviant arts... however for the sake of making proxy u will need to remove his signature at the bottom......
machinegun

Postby Teppic » 03 Nov 2014, 20:25

@meep.o.matic,

As I say in the post above, I'm looking for better quality art for some of the cards before releasing. Fell free to help hunt for the one I only have in MTGO quality.

@machinegun,

The artwork I have for Mishra's Workshop is 1280px wide, so that's fine. But thanks.

Postby machinegun » 26 Jan 2015, 15:53

I know real life stuff kicks in some time, but since this thread is already pushed off the first page, just want to bring it up again before everyone forget about this set :D
machinegun

Postby Teppic » 28 Jan 2015, 14:23

Thanks, that's exactly what happened -- real life got in the way.

I haven't forgotten. I can render them all nicely, but still have just low quality art images for some. I will post a list or page with these images later this week and hopefully people can help hunt these down.

Next

Return to Pictures