It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 11:18

Text Size

[UI] Please Make Suggestions for new Phases component

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

Re: [UI] Please Make Suggestions for new Phases component

Postby LevelX » 01 Jan 2015, 08:47

noxx is not active for the project during the last weeks.
So I guess there is currently no progess about this task.
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Laqutis » 08 Feb 2015, 06:07

I believe the 2 most important things the phases component needs are as follows.

1 The ability to automate response in a stack sequence IE during stack sequencing always pick option x and never pick option Y. Good for any very repetitive stack operations. Eg always wanting to deny the loot effect but always wanting the +1/+1 and untap effect of a Jeskai Ascendancy.

2 A much cleaner and faster way to handle infinite loops (obviously where applicable and possible) would be awesome. Currently simple things like Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth end up becoming painfully slow and even dangerous as it's easy to inadvertently pass your turn to the next game phase negating all your click work. Something as simple as a prompt of "a loop X has been determined how many sequences would you like to complete" like the damage assignment prompt might be a viable solution.

In terms of placement i believe that:
The phase indicator should be on the left with the rest of the game info.
The wasted space in the card viewer column should become used for the stack / game log
Clicking on any phase button should be a custom "skip to"

Thx again if this is not the correct topic pls move where appropriate

edit 1 - for clarity the "wasted space" i refereed to in the card viewer is the 2/3 rd blank screen real estate underneath the actually displayed card image. Especially as the cards are not multi-selectable to be viewed together nor is the column resizable vertically
Last edited by Laqutis on 17 Feb 2015, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Laqutis

Postby RominRonin » 11 Feb 2015, 20:55

Is this a good place for discussing overall UI suggestions as well?

How about removing the 'card viewer' - which takes up space on the top right and creates dead space beneath it - replacing it with an on-cursor hover image for all cards. You already have the text hover box, why not replace it with an image?

This could be an advantage on low-res screens, because you could make the cards proportionally smaller (resizing as more cards are placed on the BF, like on cockatrice), with the mouse being used to see a zoomed close-up of the card.
RominRonin

Postby LevelX » 11 Feb 2015, 22:17

RominRonin wrote:Is this a good place for discussing overall UI suggestions as well?

How about removing the 'card viewer' - which takes up space on the top right and creates dead space beneath it - replacing it with an on-cursor hover image for all cards. You already have the text hover box, why not replace it with an image?

This could be an advantage on low-res screens, because you could make the cards proportionally smaller (resizing as more cards are placed on the BF, like on cockatrice), with the mouse being used to see a zoomed close-up of the card.
It's all already there. You can fold in the card viewer on the right (there are little triangeles to do this on the dividing bar).
And you can use the mouse wheel while mouse pointer is over a small card image to show the enlarged image of a card (turn wheel up for normal image and turn wheel down to show card for special cases (e.g. face down card, card that is copying something etc.).
LevelX
DEVELOPER

Postby Lysk » 25 Nov 2015, 10:40

Why not follow the design of the MTG:O Beta client? I know, the client itself is not exactly stable, but the design choice for the Phases component is simply intuitive; I'd expect every slightly experienced player to know what the little triangles above and below each phase/step mean. And if not, then fidgeting with those triangles while keeping an eye on the "priority-bubble" as it moves along the steps and only stops on those with the triangle highlighted (bottom triangle for own turns, top triangle for other player's turns) should provide a quick learning curve.

I liked this one very much. What do you think?
Lysk

Postby burzum51 » 28 Dec 2015, 06:07

A good compromise can be to let users to set the bar on the left, between players or one the right.
burzum51

Postby manusmagicis » 27 Feb 2017, 05:49

Is this project still underway? I agree with Lysk
manusmagicis

Previous

Return to XMage