It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:00

Text Size

Card Contributions

Moderators: ubeefx, beholder, melvin, ShawnieBoy, Lodici, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Card Contributions

Postby ShawnieBoy » 16 Apr 2015, 11:53

PalladiaMors wrote:^ Yeah, that's an issue. It's not the first card with such a problem too (Breakthrough). Some cards could use custom text. I don't know if that could be implemented without too much trouble.

Edit: Actually, it's the picture that would have to be customized. I don't think that's going to be very easy to do!

Edit2: Actually, we *could* do that. See the text from the 4th edition. As far as the Oracle is concerned, that text is outdated, but it won't be confusing. The script has the oracle text that can be used as reference if someone can't understand the 4th Edition pic's text. And it brings huge nostalgic feelings and has a better picture than the current version!
'Custom Text' *shudder*.
I really don't like that idea. Some of the rules for Magarena don't match real games due to AI, which is understandable, e.g. Combat Damage, which as a player you can adapt and become used to.

Changing the card text of individual cards would be far more difficult for a player to keep track of, or get to grips with. Having a 'ChooseCardList' method or similar for these types of cards (once multi-targeting is enabled and works with AI), would be the only solution really, in my eyes.

I agree it's quite annoying for a card to 'almost' work, but I'd try to not force it in :)
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby ShawnieBoy » 16 Apr 2015, 11:59

muppet wrote:If you want to know what cards the AI is really bad with I can post them.

I'll start with Standstill and all man lands. Admittedly Standstill is actually hard to play.
I think this list would be more useful with corresponding decks/scenarios/logs, as well as AI version and level. Possibly raised as a general AI Issue. Some cards may fall into themes, but the more difficult part is to be able to duplicate them in test scenarios.

The man-lands should be performing a lot better for 1.61 with changes to the 'becomes' method and AI. Although I'd be more interested to see good plays with Standstill. :D
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby Lodici » 16 Apr 2015, 12:08

ShawnieBoy wrote:I agree it's quite annoying for a card to 'almost' work, but I'd try to not force it in :)
Perhaps there should be an additional indicator for cards that almost work or have that have been AI-optimized which can be displayed and filtered by in the explorer. You could add a new optional property to the script file with a brief description of the variation from the norm which can be displayed in the explorer. Possibly a lot of work but it could be done as-required/necessary if the framework is in place.
Lodici
Programmer

Postby PalladiaMors » 16 Apr 2015, 12:49

Just to be clear: I'm proposing, in this case, using an older picture because its wording matches more clearly how Magarena is treating the card. The functionality is identical. The Oracle is simply an attempt to make the text more clear. I wouldn't think about doing this for every card, but this is a bit of a special card, it's the strongest white card ever printed.

By custom text, I meant the event's text in the bottom left corner. Looks like my post wasn't very clear. For example, in Breakthough, rather than "choose a card", I'd like the event box to say "discard the cards you aren't going to keep". Breakthrough has a much worse problem in this regard. In Balance's case, the event box text is fine: "choose a (creature/land) to sacrifice", for the sacs, and for the discard "choose a card" - the one that's being discarded, again fine. It's pretty clear what the player is doing. It could lead to confusion in case a player trusts the picture's text more than the event text, so that's what I'm trying to deal with by using an older picture. The Oracle text in the log is the current one.

We can modify the log text in groovy, but can't modify the event's text. That's the possible new functionality I was thinking about suggesting, NOT doing cards with the text I see fit. I understand there's pressure not to deviate at all from rules and am strongly trying to avoid that from now on, I just submitted this particular card because I can't see the actual difference, besides the wording.

As usual, I'm just a player, the decision is always up to the developers.
PalladiaMors

Postby ShawnieBoy » 16 Apr 2015, 15:42

PalladiaMors wrote:Just to be clear: I'm proposing, in this case, using an older picture because its wording matches more clearly how Magarena is treating the card. The functionality is identical. The Oracle is simply an attempt to make the text more clear. I wouldn't think about doing this for every card, but this is a bit of a special card, it's the strongest white card ever printed.
I understand. Although it's an iconic card, personally I'd rather use the oracle text, instead of using a 20yr old version of it. (4th Ed was released in 1995! - Now I do feel old :( ). I can be a bit of a stickler for the rules, but it's worth discussing.
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby PalladiaMors » 18 Apr 2015, 00:43

Some cards with coin flips require more than one action for the same flip result. A simple example is Mijae Djinn. I've tried to set it up two ways:

Code: Select all
      game.addEvent(new MagicCoinFlipEvent(
                event.getSource(),
                heads,
                event.getPlayer(),
                null,
                new RemoveFromCombatAction(event.getPermanent()) new TapAction(event.getPermanent())
            ));
      game.addEvent(new MagicCoinFlipEvent(
                event.getSource(),
                heads,
                event.getPlayer(),
                null,
                new RemoveFromCombatAction(event.getPermanent()); new TapAction(event.getPermanent())
            ));
It doesn't work either way. How can this be setup?

Also, it this the correct ways to do targets?

new MagicCoinFlipChoice(target choice here)
PalladiaMors

Postby ShawnieBoy » 18 Apr 2015, 01:10

At the moment the structure is only for 'if you win -> action, if you lose -> action' - with either action being a possible null. No multi-actions as yet.

MagicCoinFlipChoice() isn't set up to accept any other choices either. All in its early stages :)
ShawnieBoy
Programmer

Postby PalladiaMors » 01 Jun 2015, 19:02

I submitted Gravecrawler a few days ago, did it get pushed alright? Was there some problem with the script?
PalladiaMors

Postby melvin » 02 Jun 2015, 01:41

melvin
AI Programmer

Postby muppet » 12 May 2016, 10:22

Submitted Westvale Abbey, Ormendahl.
Got some firemind errors off the latter when it tried to run a duel saying invalid card which of course it is so I think its all fine.

They work with all the current cards in game but there are some they cld make that wld break this implementation so you might think they shdn't be released.
muppet
Tester

Postby muppet » 13 May 2016, 08:16

Submitted Sylvan Advocate. Can't do Declaration in Stone. I think the engine can't do Collected Company.
muppet
Tester

Postby muppet » 15 May 2016, 09:06

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. Works fine has one extra variable it doesn't need so might need to be removed if this slows the game down much.
muppet
Tester

Postby muppet » 15 May 2016, 09:27

engine won't do Transgress the Mind or Duskwatch Recruiter or Domoka's Command. I failed at Avacyn, and Loam Dryad.
muppet
Tester

Postby muppet » 15 May 2016, 14:59

All my submissions still sat on firemind by the way. Though it is happily pushing stuff from idiots it says.
muppet
Tester

Postby muppet » 16 May 2016, 10:34

Almost got Thing in the Ice working. Is there a way to do things like when this transforms do x? That was a problem with avacyn too?
muppet
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Magarena