It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 23:28

Text Size

Updates on the way.

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Updates on the way.

Postby gmzombie » 15 Jul 2015, 20:23

lol yea i have to do it that way as i didnt have the program to take a snapshot and at work i get crap sprint coverage..go figure lol. im going to post a special re-up of just the magic.exe file in a zip on the manalink side to let people try it out for themselves. ill have to post a warning about other resolutions though. i havent figured it all out yet but im so giddy to share the greatness korath is bringing us on the shandalar side.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby Huggybaby » 15 Jul 2015, 20:54

Ohhh, you were at Wooork.

Never mind, now I totally understand. My lips are sealed. :-#
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Arrabal » 17 Jul 2015, 10:04

Hey Korath, I just registered to say thank you for your work. This is amazing! I always dreamed to have Shandalar updated with the new expansions cards.

I'm also curious to take a look at the source code and see how things works, but I'm really busy these days. I expect to have some spare time to check it out and, who knows, even help you if needed.

I'd like to provide some feedback as well, although it has nothing to do with your work. Installation process is a bit messy for newcomers. I managed to do it once, but many card pictures are missing and when I tried to install it from scratch in a second computer, I simply failed. I think it's a bit confusing because it's not clear where the files you must download are and it's not really straightforward how you have to install them.

If someone could provide a simple how to in non ambiguous terms, I could even work on a game installer or install script that would do it automatically. Let's say you rephrase the instructions as in this example:
"Download Manalink 3.0 from <link_url>" instead of "Download the last Manalink version from some post in this forum" or "Download the patch <link_url> and run it" instead of "Apply some manalink patch on your install direcory"

I hope no one gets offended for this comment, it's just feedback from someone who discovered this page a couple weeks ago. I'm glad to help if I'm able in the future and I want to congratulate every person that worked on this, specially Korath. In the past I have done some reverse engineering works too and I know how hard it can be.

Congratulations. Keep up the good work.
Arrabal

Postby gmzombie » 17 Jul 2015, 12:46

I'm actually working on a new installer as we speak. I just have to get a few things down and then I'll upload it to the world. It will be fully complete up to date fate reforged and latest shandalar update as well.

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby JamesSylvan » 17 Jul 2015, 20:10

Hello,

I am trying to install and play Shandalar. I have extracted Shandalar, then extracted Manalink, overwriting everything in Program. Then I extracted the Fate Reforged patch, replacing all files again. Then I extracted the Shandalar.dll and UIStrings.txt to Program.

When I run Shandalar, the game starts up. I chose the difficulty, then when I select a color, nothing happens. I am just clicking green, red, black, etc. and the button presses but nothing happens.

Thanks for all your hard work. I really want to play this!
JamesSylvan

Postby Korath » 17 Jul 2015, 22:49

Arrabal, yes, installation is unacceptably poor.
  • Part of it's not under my control (since it relies on the Manalink distribution; I really, really prefer to my deliverables to be ~4Mb compressed and not the ~415Mb of a complete Manalink distribution).
  • Part of it's because it hasn't been anywhere near a priority yet, and won't be until I'm much closer to caught up with Manalink in terms of cards programmed.
  • Part of it's because I actually prefer it to be a bit difficult for the time being. The wider distribution this gets the sooner and more likely WOTC and/or whoever ended up with MicroProse's assets is to put an end to it.
JamesSylvan, if the installation steps you listed are complete (and thank you, by the way, for listing them and not just saying something like "I installed it following your directions, why doesn't it work, u r teh suxx0rs"), then it sounds like you followed the how-to-upgrade-an-earlier-installation list, not the first-installation list. You need the whole shandalar-356-gbefd98c-RuinedTower4.zip or shandalar-388-g14ae2bd-LoremastersTower2.zip file, not just the Shandalar.dll and UIStrings.txt files from it.

Otherwise, that's the point at which the Facemaker launches. If you run Facemaker.exe directly, does it work?
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby CirothUngol » 17 Jul 2015, 23:50

Arrabal wrote:If someone could provide a simple how to in non ambiguous terms...
Hiya Arrabal! Thanx for registering just to say "Wow, this is great!" Here is a copy/paste of my post answering the same question in another thread. I've omitted CardArt from the download to minimize it's size:

1) Download and extract Manalink3_20150325.7z found at one of the links in my signature.

2) Start Manalink_Launcher.cmd to install the default Mods for Manalink. It contains the latest 'Fate Reforged' patch, but with No CardArt. If you'd like CardArt, use Sonic's latest image archives found here.

3) Download Add_Shandalar_LoremastersTower2_preAlpha.7z from the same folder, place it in the '\Manalink3\' folder created by the previous archive, and extract it in place to update the '\Program\' folder with all of the Shandalar goodness. This archive contains the clean files from the Shandalar_2012 install + Korath's updated files for 'LoremastersTower2_preAlpha'.

That should get you up and running. If you have issues with animations not working, please try installing the CCCP, as it's never failed me. ^_^

gmzombie wrote:I'm actually working on a new installer as we speak.
Hell yea! If your folder structure is similar then the Mods from my download should work fine with any Fate Reforged install.
"I thought the day had brought enough horrors for our ragged band, but the night was far worse."
-Lucilde Fiksdotter

Shandalar 2012 Revisited
Magic: The Gathering Abandonware
CirothUngol
Programmer

Postby JamesSylvan » 18 Jul 2015, 18:09

Thanks so much, both of you.

It seems I was extracting the shandalar rar first, then overwriting it with the manalink stuff after, instead of the other way around.

Everything works fine now. The instructions in the post above work perfectly to install everything fresh.

By the way, is there a github repo where I can check out your work?
JamesSylvan

Postby Korath » 18 Jul 2015, 19:36

No; the project would violate github's terms of service if hosted there. There's a zip of the source tree as of the last release attached to the same post as the release itself, if you just want to browse. PM me your ssh public key if you want read access directly to our dev server (I'm not prepared to make that fully public, since it's not my machine - it's in the basement of a friend of mine, and I don't want to hog all his bandwidth).
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby Arrabal » 19 Jul 2015, 22:29

Hello. Thanks to gmzombie, Korath and CirothUngol you very much for taking the time to reply! I really appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to gmzombie's installer, that's great news.

Korath wrote:Part of it's because I actually prefer it to be a bit difficult for the time being. The wider distribution this gets the sooner and more likely WOTC and/or whoever ended up with MicroProse's assets is to put an end to it.
I understand, no one wants them to ruin all the fun and that is a powerful reason to make the install process a bit difficult. And thank you again for your amazing work.

I'm enjoying the game very much.
Arrabal

Postby Korath » 21 Jul 2015, 20:52

I'm still working on interrupts (progress tracked in the original post), and MicroProse X spells and modal spells needed to finish Fork (post). At least nominally.

I wasn't happy with the way Drain Life only had a "real" casting cost of {1} {B} and manually charged its {X} cost in its own card function instead of letting the engine do it. Being restricted to only black mana wasn't a problem; the engine would have been able to handle {X} {1} (spend only {B} for X) just fine, the same way it can handle {X} {B} for e.g. Howl from Beyond. It just wasn't capable of charging both a fixed amount and an X amount of the same color. This also comes up with Gloom and X spells, though, since the only white X spells in the original game are Guardian Angel and Alabaster Potion, and Gloom's been broken in Manalink since forever, I'm not surprised I hadn't noticed it before.

Even so, I might have been able to stomach that for now if it were just Drain Life and Gloom, but there's also a handful of other spells like Tribal Unity and Flowstone Slide and Stroke of Genius that I kept stumbling across while implementing other X spells between fixing the MicroProse ones. So I finished reverse-engineering charge_mana()'s subfunctions, extended them to deal with charging fixed and X amounts in the same color on the same call, and made the function that reads cards.dat (née Manalink.csv) manually parse mana cost strings that contain "|X|(digit)" instead of trusting the numeric data from the Req columns.

And that was the hard part of getting hybrid mana working natively in the engine, so I did that too.
hybrid.jpg
There's data slots available in card_ptr_t that are completely untouched by Shandalar.exe, some of them conveniently interspersed with the mana costs, so - like the {X} {2} {R} {R} spells - I can parse them from the mana cost strings when reading cards.dat, encode them into cards_ptr[], and let the engine charge the casting cost like for any other spell. Plumeveil and Boggart Ram-Gang and Nip Gwyllion all have the same card function as Gray Ogre, and it Just Works. It even dealt with mixed hybrid/colored costs like for Grixis Grimblade or Thopter Foundry without any additional work, compared to the complex hacks used to get those even sort of right in Manalink.

Right now they can't be used in activation costs. That's a fairly easy fix that I probably won't do just yet; it would only let me add about a half dozen more cards due to other limitations. There's also no provision for charging more than one hybrid combination at once, like {2} {WB} {RW}; but no cards have such a cost, and none add a hybrid cost to other cards. At least, not that I can find.

Phyrexian mana (as in Dismember) and monocolor hybrid (as in Spectral Procession) will be harder.

I'm also pretty sure I've fixed the problem with the AI refusing to play lands at all if playing its naively-selected "best" land gains it no advantage, most often seen with the Ravnica-block bouncelands like Orzhov Basilica. It's harder to test for sure with just the Lairs (like Treva's Ruins) and Scorched Ruins and Lotus Vale, though; lands that simultaneously produce dissimilar mana - not just the Ravnica lands, but the original Karoo cycle too - are blocked by Mana Flare, which is blocked by a dozen other things that took me the better part of a month to fix the first time in Manalink.
More cards completed | Open
Abzan Advantage
Abzan Kin-Guard
Acorn Catapult
Aeronaut Tinkerer
Ambush Krotiq
Ancient Amphitheater
Apocalypse Hydra
Arc-Slogger
Arcane Denial
Armada Wurm
Armory Guard
Arms Dealer
Arrows of Justice
Ashenmoor Gouger
Augury Adept
Auntie's Hovel
Avalanche
Awakening
Bant Sureblade
Barrage Ogre
Barren Glory
Barter in Blood
Battle Brawler
Battle of Wits
Battlegate Mimic
Batwing Brume
Belligerent Hatchling
Biomantic Mastery
Biomass Mutation
Biovisionary
Black Sun's Zenith
Blaze
Blazing Archon
Blistercoil Weird
Blood Cultist
Bloodfire Enforcers
Bloodshot Trainee
Blue Sun's Zenith
Boartusk Liege
Boggart Ram-Gang
Boros Recruit
Borrowing the East Wind
Bottomless Pit
Brightflame
Burning Palm Efreet
Burning-Tree Emissary
Cache Raiders
Cached Defenses
Canker Abomination
Captive Flame
Celestial Force
Cephalid Shrine (Without the option to refuse to pay a cost of 0; I'm not sure what the UI should look like. Though, on reflection, I doubt anyone's ever complained about being unable to refuse to pay for a Power Sink with X=0.)
Champion of the Parish
Chancellor of the Annex
Charmbreaker Devils
Chord of Calling
City of Traitors
Clout of the Dominus
Coalition Victory
Cold-Eyed Selkie
Condescend
Consume Spirit
Convolute
Corrupt
Cragganwick Cremator
Crater's Claws
Creakwood Liege
Crosis's Catacombs
Cryptborn Horror
Cursecatcher
Darigaaz's Caldera
Dawnglow Infusion
Deadapult
Death Cloud
Death Grasp
Death Wind
Deathcult Rogue
Debt to the Deathless
Deus of Calamity
Devout Harpist
Diabolic Revelation
Din of the Fireherd
Dire Wolves
Disrupt
Disruptive Student
Distorting Wake
Divinity of Pride
Dominus of Fealty
Doomgape
Dragon Blood
Drastic Revelation
Dream Salvage
Dregs of Sorrow
Dromar's Cavern
Drumhunter
Duergar Assailant
Dwarven Catapult
Edge of the Divinity
Enchanted Evening
Ensnaring Bridge
Epic Struggle
Esper Stormblade
Etched Monstrosity
Evasive Action
Expendable Troops
Exsanguinate
Exuberant Firestoker
Fallen Ferromancer
Favor of the Overbeing
Femeref Archers
Fire at Will
Firespout
Fists of the Demigod
Flamekin Spitfire
Flaring Flame-Kin
Flowstone Slide
Forbidden Orchard
Forced March
Form of the Dragon
Fracturing Gust
Freewind Equenaut
Frightful Delusion
Frostling
Fulminator Mage
Gaze of Granite
Ghoulraiser
Giant Solifuge
Gideon's Avenger
Gift of Orzhova
Gift of the Deity (forwarding to Lure, which is still in Shandalar.exe)
Gilt-Leaf Palace
Glen Elendra Liege
Glimmervoid
Glimpse the Sun God
Goblin Cannon
Goblin Offensive
Goblin Skycutter
Godhead of Awe
Golgari Longlegs
Green Sun's Zenith
Gridlock
Grixis Grimblade
Growing Ranks
Gwendlyn Di Corci
Harabaz Druid
Harsh Sustenance
Hearthfire Hobgoblin
Heat Ray
Hell-Bent Raider
Hellkite Tyrant
Icy Blast
Inkfathom Infiltrator
Inkfathom Witch
Invert the Skies
Ivy Elemental
Izzet Staticaster
Jokulmorder
Jorubai Murk Lurker
Judge's Familiar
Jund Hackblade
Kamahl, Pit Fighter
Kird Chieftain
Krakilin
Kris Mage
Kulrath Knight
Lavalanche
Loamdragger Giant
Lotus Vale
Lyzolda, the Blood Witch
Maga, Traitor to Mortals
Magmaquake
Magmaw
Make a Wish
Malicious Advice
Mana Leak
Martial Coup
Mayael's Aria
Meltdown
Mercy Killing
Merfolk of the Depths
Meteor Storm
Mindstatic
Mindswipe
Minions' Murmurs
Morselhoarder
Mortal Combat
Mourning Thrull
Mox Diamond
Naya Hushblade
Near-Death Experience
Nether Void
Nightfire Giant
Nightsky Mimic
Nimbus Swimmer
Nip Gwyllion
Nivmagus Elemental
Nobilis of War
Noxious Hatchling
Offering to Asha
Ogre Shaman
Oppressive Will
Overbeing of Myth
Override
Overrule
Oversoul of Dusk
Patron Wizard
Plant Elemental
Plumeveil
Pox
Primordial Hydra
Princess Lucrezia
Prismatic Boon
Privileged Position
Prosperity
Psychic Drain
Purify
Rakdos Ickspitter
Rakdos Ragemutt
Rakdos Shred-Freak
Rakdos's Return
Rakshasa's Disdain
Ranger en-Vec
Rathi Dragon
Razortip Whip
Reckless Assault
Relic Putrescence
Reverberate (incomplete, per Fork)
Reverence
Ring of Renewal
Riot Spikes
Rith's Grove
Riven Turnbull
River of Tears
Riverfall Mimic
Rogue Elephant
Rolling Earthquake
Rubblebelt Raiders
Ruhan of the Fomori
Rune Snag
Runes of the Deus
Safewright Quest
Sage's Dousing
Sapling of Colfenor
Savage Twister
Scorched Ruins
Scrapyard Mongrel
Scuzzback Scrapper
Scythe Tiger
Secluded Glen
Seedcradle Witch
Seer's Sundial
Sejiri Steppe
Seraph Sanctuary
Shattering Blow
Sheltered Valley
Shield of the Oversoul
Shivan Hellkite
Shorecrasher Mimic
Sire of Insanity
Skirsdag Cultist
Skull Catapult
Slime Molding
Slippery Bogle
Smallpox
Snapsail Glider
Soaring Seacliff
Soldier Replica
Soliton
Somnomancer
Sootstoke Kindler
Soratami Savant
Spell Pierce
Spell Rupture
Sphinx's Revelation
Spiketail Drake
Spiketail Drakeling
Spiketail Hatchling
Spiteflame Witch
Spitting Hydra
Stalker Hag
Steel of the Godhead
Stormbind
Stormscale Anarch
Stroke of Genius
Stubborn Denial
Stun Sniper
Stymied Hopes
Sudden Demise
Sunblade Elf
Sundering Growth
Sygg, River Cutthroat
Sylvan Offering
Syncopate
Tar Pitcher
Tattermunge Maniac
Tattermunge Witch
Tectonic Break
Teferi's Moat
Test of Endurance
Thassa's Rebuff
Thing from the Deep
Thistledown Liege
Thopter Foundry
Thoughtweft Gambit
Thran Quarry
Thrive
Titania's Boon
Treva's Ruins
Twincast (incomplete, per Fork)
Unexpectedly Absent
Unmake
Unnerving Assault
Untamed Might
Unwilling Recruit
Vampiric Dragon
Vassal Soul
Vitalizing Cascade
Vodalian Mage
Volcanic Geyser
Voracious Hatchling
Vulshok War Boar
Wanderwine Hub
Wasp Lancer
White Sun's Zenith
Wild Cantor
Wilt-Leaf Cavaliers
Windstorm
Wistful Selkie
Wizard Replica
Wood Elemental (without bothering to implement its interaction with Magical Hack after it's already in play; the card's bad enough already)
Woodland Sleuth
Woodlurker Mimic
Woolly Mammoths
I'm starting to get really irritated at the interrupts blocking release. I'm tempted to document the known-to-be-broken cards and move from having Conservative and Stable releases (currently RT and LT, respectively) to Stable and Unstable, but I suspect that would just make me put off actually fixing those cards for longer.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby rinslime » 22 Jul 2015, 05:35

First time installing Shandalar and Manalink. When I run Shandalar.exe, I get the error

The program can't start because CdTools.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I feel like I missed a step or something.
I downloaded one of the shandalar zips, unpacked manalink 3.0 on top of it to overwrite, updated to FR update by overwriting, updated card art correctly, then unpacked the latest version of Shandalar on top of it all, so that it overwrites other files.

I read somewhere that I could try to get this dll and other files from an older manalink 2.0 archive and insert them manually, but the mediafire mirror I found in wiki was dead/removed so I can't even try that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT:
After doing even more reading around I figured out that I didn't have files from the 2012 archive of Shandalar. I got them from the post above with the dropbox/google/onedrive links. I even tried checking a thread that said it was 2012 install files but the author removed the download links, and pointed me towards the latest version (which was just a 4mb patch and did not contain the original dll's and stuff)

Some feedback on that, the install instructions for a first time install really need to be fixed up. I had like 12 tabs open searching everywhere for a solution. The instructions say to install an older version from somewhere on the forum, but it doesn't really point you anywhere. There is no sticky with official download links, and it doesn't specify that you need clean 2012 files with all those dll's. I was confused and I just ended up downloading a previous 4mb update as my base. It would be really helpful for future first timers if there were some clarification on that, or if it could simply link to a base like the one in the dropbox/google/onedrive above, and instruct people to then ensure they have the latest version to overwrite on top of that.
rinslime

Postby Korath » 22 Jul 2015, 17:36

See six posts up for why my instructions aren't aimed at the casual installer and five posts up for instructions that are.
Korath
DEVELOPER

Postby gmzombie » 22 Jul 2015, 22:16

You never cease to amaze us with your insight and knowledge of reverse engineering and making functions the way they should be. If you keep this up we may want the shandalr duel engine instead of manalinks lol anyways I also believe if you can't get those cards the other way is to just disable them in the ini for right now..just a thought though great job.

gmzombie

Postby orionite » 30 Jul 2015, 16:20

This sounds great and I appreciate all the work you have put into it, but I too am stuck trying to actually run the installation. Following the instructions above, I get application was unable to start errors, when trying to execute Shandalar. First it seemed to be related to a drawcard.dll. I applied gmzombies dll pack, but while that particular error went away, it still refuses to start (0xc00000fd). Not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?
orionite

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar