It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:50

Text Size

Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Microprose Magic the Gathering 2010 Custom Installer ISO

Postby Huggybaby » 12 Dec 2016, 22:19

Thanks. :) Credits are in the first post, we all do our part.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby RSoxNo1 » 24 Jan 2017, 20:38

I still have the original CDs for the original Microprose games, Spells of the Ancients and Duels of the Planeswalkers. Is it possible to get this running on Windows 10?

Edit: Looking at the original post, it looks like the torrent files are no longer available?
RSoxNo1

Postby Friendsofsandwiches » 30 Jan 2017, 03:17

The pirate bay location is still up thankfully. Let us know if it needs seeds. The mediafire location for the patch is also still up.
I do note both file sharing locations have lost the files. Rapidshare doesn't even seem to be workign at all anymore.

As far as trying to run the old CDs... just don't. You pretty much have to run a win 95/98 box to get it to work, as it will check if you're running win 95, and abort the entire installation AFTER everything's been installed if it doesn't see win 95.
Friendsofsandwiches

Postby FairyFatale » 05 Jul 2017, 10:01

Hi!
I was wondering if there was any way to restore the original flavour text to the cards. Also, I note the artist credits are missing from the cards in this version. Is that deliberate?

Thank you!
FairyFatale

Postby steiny58 » 30 Jul 2017, 02:16

Has anyone else gotten this to run on Windows 10? I downloaded the torrent and tried to install it via Autorun.exe. The box popped up to "Install". But, when I clicked on it, it tried to install DirectX 9 and that isn't compatible with Windows 10. If I try to run Setup.exe directly, nothing happens.
steiny58

Postby jl415 » 27 Aug 2017, 22:28

I cannot download either of the links, help ;)
jl415

Postby Huggybaby » 28 Aug 2017, 11:08

steiny58 wrote:Has anyone else gotten this to run on Windows 10? I downloaded the torrent and tried to install it via Autorun.exe. The box popped up to "Install". But, when I clicked on it, it tried to install DirectX 9 and that isn't compatible with Windows 10. If I try to run Setup.exe directly, nothing happens.
I installed DX 9.0C on a new Windows 10 install yesterday.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Aswan jaguar » 28 Aug 2017, 12:05

jl415 wrote:I cannot download either of the links, help ;)
Which links?
You know this is a torrent and you need a program for that, right? I don't see a problem if you have installed uTorrent also this is an attachment.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby jl415 » 30 Aug 2017, 17:54

Aswan jaguar wrote:
jl415 wrote:I cannot download either of the links, help ;)
Which links?
You know this is a torrent and you need a program for that, right? I don't see a problem if you have installed uTorrent also this is an attachment.
Hello Aswan =)
Sorry, I meant the torrent links... the link to the torrent link appears to be broken (I know how to use uTorrent). Thanks for your help, great to see you here alive and kicking ehehe
jl415

Postby BlueTemplar » 02 Sep 2017, 16:26

Friendsofsandwiches wrote:As far as trying to run the old CDs... just don't. You pretty much have to run a win 95/98 box to get it to work, as it will check if you're running win 95, and abort the entire installation AFTER everything's been installed if it doesn't see win 95.
IIRC I managed to do it using a Windows 95 (or was it 98?) Virtual Machine to get around the issue that the installer itself is 16-bit and won't work on 64-bit Windows. Then IIRC I just copied the folders afterwards.
BlueTemplar

Postby MeeksJoel » 02 Sep 2017, 16:49

I'm having trouble running the multiplayer. I have all the related files from the first post of this sub installed (the multiplayer files I had to download from CirothUngol's link though, since it appears to be missing from the original post) and I have followed all of the instructions to the best of my abilities yet everyting I have tried won't bring up the blue manalink gem upon load up. Do I need to have established a connection with someone, say by LAN, before I would see this symbol?

I'm running Windows 10, if that helps.
MeeksJoel

Postby Aswan jaguar » 03 Sep 2017, 06:51

jl415
Sorry, I meant the torrent links... the link to the torrent link appears to be broken (I know how to use uTorrent). Thanks for your help, great to see you here alive and kicking ehehe
I just downloaded it and it is fine, try again.Maybe you have it already broken and needs to be deleted and re-downloaded.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby Aswan jaguar » 03 Sep 2017, 06:59

MeeksJoel wrote:I'm having trouble running the multiplayer. I have all the related files from the first post of this sub installed (the multiplayer files I had to download from CirothUngol's link though, since it appears to be missing from the original post) and I have followed all of the instructions to the best of my abilities yet everyting I have tried won't bring up the blue manalink gem upon load up. Do I need to have established a connection with someone, say by LAN, before I would see this symbol?

I'm running Windows 10, if that helps.
I guess you followed all these instructions in first post:
Multiplayer Instructions by Salinnar: | Open
You folks need to make sure that you download the registry entries for this game that put it into and out of multiplayer capable mode. These files are linked near the top of this post. Inside that archive are three .reg files.

1) First, for safekeeping you can put these 3 files into the MagicTG directory where you should have installed the game.
2) Second, double click/run the magic.reg file just to ensure that the entries were properly placed when you installed the game.
3) Third, choose which mode you want to run in by running either serial.reg (for single player mode) or no-serial.reg (for multiplayer mode).
For most this will conclude the steps you need to take towards a Masters degree in software engineering ;)
4) If you open the game at this point and DO NOT see the blue gem in the top right of your screen, you'll need to heed this fourth step. Go to your start menu and run regedit to open your registry. HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-xxxxxxxxx\Software\MicroProse\Magic: The Gathering. The Manalink key should have a value of ON not OFF. Just double-click on Manalink and edit the value to ON in the pop-up window. Close the registry (there is no save requirement when you're in the registry).
That's the end of the hard stuff.
Open the game.
5) Right click on the Manalink gem and choose Preferences -> Options.
6) Uncheck/Clear 'Use Autoconnect' and click APPLY.
7) Now just double-click the gem or right-click and choose OPEN.
8) What opens is the Manalink program. Choose TCP/IP regardless of whether you're playing on a home network (LAN) or over the internet and click the CONNECT button.
9) Choose to Host or Join.
10) If you choose Join and are playing a LAN game, leave the next pop-up window blank that requests for you to enter an IP address. The game will find another computer on the network running Manalink for you :)

If you did then each time you open Magic through the launcher the manalink gem will appear.Of course there is the possibility that it gets stopped by your firewall or antivirus from loading and then you need to put it to their "white list" of programs they should let run.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby MeeksJoel » 03 Sep 2017, 14:34

I did indeed follow those instructions (as long as I can assume that I understood it correctly (I'm supposed to place the 3 reg files directly into the program files folder "MagicTG" correct?)) and the manalink gem is not appearing. I'll try using the white list for my antivirus/firewall. What files do I need to place in there?
MeeksJoel

Postby Aswan jaguar » 03 Sep 2017, 18:29

Manalink.exe should be enough.
---
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

PreviousNext

Return to Shandalar