It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:35

Text Size

KORATH'S MODS CANNOT BE DOWNLOADED/DELETED

MicroProse's Shandalar Campaign Game, now with new cards & a new look!

Moderators: BAgate, drool66, Aswan jaguar, gmzombie, stassy, CCGHQ Admins

KORATH'S MODS CANNOT BE DOWNLOADED/DELETED

Postby Aswan jaguar » 20 Dec 2016, 10:38

To all of you that try to download and install Korath's mods I am in the very unpleasant position to inform you that as a result of a guy being abusive and slanderous to Korath in shandalar forums,Korath deleted all the patches he contributed there and in Manalink.3.0, too.As a result you can't install none of his mods unless Korath decides to return and reupload his patches.

We are at least hundreds that appreciate Korath himself(always willing to help, teach, bear with my foolish questions about development) and all his great and immense work in Manalink and Shandalar forums and no person can change even slightly our appreciation about him and his work and I am certain that the vast majority of you feel the same.I really hope that when he calms down, sees that a single person's vulgarity doesn't worth to deny himself and all of us the fun of working with him on these projects and playing with the wonders and innovations he introduced to these games with his mods.

Edit: As the offending posts have been deleted (correctly) by administrators and people can't read them and have the full picture, I want to add that also there were made threats about warning and turning legally the company against Korath for his mods.
Last edited by Aswan jaguar on 02 Apr 2017, 06:43, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: edit - in bold text
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Re: KORATH'S MODS CANNOT BE DOWNLOADED/DELETED

Postby Bog Wraith » 20 Dec 2016, 12:34

This whole thing is Fucking disgusting!

Korath is one of the best, brightest AND most patient of the developers we have ever had here. He is unmatched in his contribution & dedication, along with his highly in depth posts he writes about what, why & how he improves Shandalar. This always makes for fascinating reading which I frankly devour every time!

Something similar happened to me early this year which made me rethink my position here and, along with other factors, led me to retire from my post as a moderator. I know how he feels and I don't blame him at all for being pissed to the nth degree!

I hope he will return when & if he feels like it and he can probably use some time away from here. He's been working his ASS off for the benefit of all of us for quite awhile now.

I just want to thank him for everything he's done and for all of the time he has donated to this endeavour.

Thank you again, my friend for everything you've done here. Enjoy the Christmas holidays & I wish you the best for 2017! :)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby gmzombie » 20 Dec 2016, 21:30

It is absolutely disgusting and a all around shitty thing for lujo to say against korath. Im mindblown in fact that someone would go off the handle like that. For one it is just a game but more importantly how much time Korath has put into this ageing game. He gave us the start to modern stack for shit sake. I hope Korath sees this and knows that lujo's mouth doesnt talk for anyone but his own pittiful self.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby matumba » 21 Dec 2016, 00:18

What if we have have the mods? What's needed for people who wanted to play some for the holidays? Is it ok to share? I shared some in the manalink patch thread. These forums won't let me link to mediafire, but I think I've got all that's needed for the latest build. It's just too big to upload in a post.
matumba

Postby Aswan jaguar » 21 Dec 2016, 11:10

matumba wrote: Is it ok to share?
Don't share any of Korath's patches/mods as he replied to you to the other post.His livelihood is at stake.By no means we want to put at risk his well-being.
---
Trying to squash some bugs and playtesting.
Aswan jaguar
Super Tester Elite

Postby TheKillerNacho » 21 Dec 2016, 22:29

What even happened?

I see that lujo said some really bad things to Korath, and it appears Korath went into a tizzy and removed all his files? Also how exactly is Korath's livlihood and/or well-being at risk by them being re-uploaded? Did lujo make some sort of copyright threat or was Korath pushed past is breaking point and decided to simply remove himself from this community? Or is he using it as leverage of some sort?

PS: lujo's hostility to all members of this forum was building up for months. You just need to read any of his reports or threads to see he didn't respect Korath despite all his hard work at all, nor did he respect any one else here. I sincerely hope he's banned for good... even with his work on Shandalar decks, I felt for some time he was a cancer to this community.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby BAgate » 21 Dec 2016, 22:43

Someone threw a tantrum when the game didn't behave like they wanted. If you are really interested you can search for the thread, but I wouldn't recommend it. The language and behavior was bad enough that most of the posts got deleted.
Working on: housekeeping and archived reports
BAgate
Tester

Postby Rawky » 21 Dec 2016, 22:58

From his first post, there was something about this guy that I didn't like. I avoided interacting with him at all times, but he managed to show up in my threads, wielding his opinion like a sword. Whatever. Glad he's gone. On with life.
Rawky

Postby Huggybaby » 22 Dec 2016, 15:07

Fellas, in the future, pls bring these situations to my attention so I can deal with them before they get out of hand. No reason to let stuff build and build, and when I'm aware of it, it won't happen.

Thanks!
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby walrus » 25 Dec 2016, 15:25

Rawky wrote:From his first post, there was something about this guy that I didn't like. I avoided interacting with him at all times, but he managed to show up in my threads, wielding his opinion like a sword. Whatever. Glad he's gone. On with life.
He was one of those guys who thinks they are smarter than they really are and lack enough social awareness and intelligence to understand how their behaviour makes other feel. He was desperately trying to impress others with his walls of text, even though most of it was comparable to verbal diarrhea. Just ramblings without anything of real value.

I don't even understand how that assburger thought Wizards of the Coast would even have any legal base for suing Korath. The game was developed and published by Microprose, which owned all the code related to it. In 1998, all Microprose's intellectual properties were sold to Hasbro, which two years later sold them to Infogrames. Infogrames was then turned into Atari Interactive, and back in 2005 they sold licenses to create new MTG games back to Hasbro. However, this deal didn't include ownership of old games, just license to create new online games. Furthermore, that license deal ended last year.

Basically, rights for the game code are owned by Atari Interactive, not Hasbro. I want to also remind that Korath didn't attempt to create new commercial Magic the Gathering game. Modifications for computer games aren't illegal in any shape or form because they are not complete, functional products, just modification of older code. Only exception to this rule is if you have broken and decrypted major copy protection to do it, something that game didn't have. Only thing that Slightlymagic could be sued in this case is having torrent of old ISO.
walrus

Postby TheKillerNacho » 06 Jan 2017, 00:22

So I guess it's safe to say Korath's gone for good?

Sad times.
With much cheese,
TheKillerNacho
TheKillerNacho

Postby gmzombie » 07 Jan 2017, 17:20

We can only hope not.
can I maze of ith your snowstorm?

http://home.comcast.net/~gmzombie/index.html old stuff in here. don't use this stuff right now till I get time to get back into it and readjust.
gmzombie

Postby vinnie » 08 Jan 2017, 21:35

This thing saddens me, it was incredible to see someone who can modify what remains, until now, the best magic game in quest mode, and all because a stupid troll could not mind his own business.
vinnie

Postby BlueTemplar » 18 Jan 2017, 17:39

Damn... and I was telling anyone that might be even remotely interested about the amazing work Korath (and all the others) were doing here!

Thank you Korath!
I only hope that someday you'll find joy again in working and sharing this project.
BlueTemplar

Postby Zero Gruul » 22 Jan 2017, 23:52

I am not an intellectual property lawyer, but I do find this all sad but interesting. Also, I am not sure I understand Walrus's post. Are you saying that all of Wizard's of the Coasts intellectual property outside the original scope and duration of their original license with Microprose can be used without their consent, because Atari retained the rights to the code for a 20 year old game? That so long as we don't attempt to create a fresh new game, we can use any new art, characters, and flavor text they write, without Wizards having a cause of action?
Zero Gruul

Next

Return to Shandalar