It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:35

Text Size

MTG.Design: Web-Based Card Creator

by Nate and Snacko

Moderators: Snacko, CCGHQ Admins

MTG.Design: Web-Based Card Creator

Postby proud » 19 Jun 2016, 06:23

Hello Slighty Magic!

I’ve been working on MTG.Design, a site for creating and sharing custom cards (with thanks to some of the amazing templates found here!) and I’m hoping to release later this year.

The hope is this will be much better than other quick-and-dirty web-based offerings, and be a suitable alternative to MSE. The focus here is quality. I’m using LaTeX to render text on the backend, which will mean much better and accurate typesetting.

If you’re interested, feel free to sign up for the beta, which I hope to roll out in the next month or two.

If you have questions, comments or feedback, let me know. Thanks!

Sample Cards | Open

aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Re: MTG.Design: Web-Based Card Creator

Postby skibulk » 20 Aug 2016, 08:46

Hi and welcome to Slightly Magic proud! Any progress on this? Do you plan to post the source code for community collaboration?
skibulk
HQ Team Member

Postby proud » 26 Aug 2016, 21:49

skibulk wrote:Hi and welcome to Slightly Magic proud! Any progress on this? Do you plan to post the source code for community collaboration?
Hi and thanks!

Beta will probably drop 8/31, next week!

Source code? Not sure about that quite yet. The first goal here is to just get it out.
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby proud » 10 Sep 2016, 01:11

I’m doing a soft launch, and inviting anyone here to come join.

https://mtg.design/register

If you already have an account, you may only need to activate.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any feedback.
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby Nyth » 15 Sep 2016, 12:34

Hi proud,
I had a quick look and I like what the designer does. All the basic stuff in a web format is quite nice and quick for those that like designing one off cards. Nice resource.
Nyth
HQ Team Member

Postby Arcanist » 04 Oct 2016, 20:17

proud wrote:I’m doing a soft launch...
Do you already have a long-term vision for this Web site? For instance, will users only have access to the cards they create, or will cards be publicly visible to everyone?
Arcanist

Postby proud » 05 Oct 2016, 07:12

Arcanist wrote:
proud wrote:I’m doing a soft launch...
Do you already have a long-term vision for this Web site? For instance, will users only have access to the cards they create, or will cards be publicly visible to everyone?
Great questions!

Yes, so currently, all cards are public… but that might change if there’s demand for it.

I want to let people create folders of materials. For people designing custom sets of cards, for example, you can have a folder with your set in it.

The biggest things I’m working on right now are:

• Fixing long names and type lines
  • Scaling certain mana symbols correctly
  • Adding support for custom expansion symbols
  • Adding folders/set support and proper edit/save functionality
  • Adding support for planeswalkers and double-face cards
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby Arcanist » 05 Oct 2016, 21:29

proud wrote:Yes, so currently, all cards are public… but that might change if there’s demand for it. *snip*
Thanks for your detailed answer. While I don't have much imagination when it comes to creating new cards, I am always interested in checking out what others have come up with. I somewhat expected to be able to see some of them, but I couldn't find anything besides the few examples on the main page. Does it mean that it is necessary to register to see them? It's fine if that's the case. It's just that the Web site doesn't make it very clear.
Arcanist

Postby proud » 06 Oct 2016, 02:42

Arcanist wrote:
proud wrote:Yes, so currently, all cards are public… but that might change if there’s demand for it. *snip*
Thanks for your detailed answer. While I don't have much imagination when it comes to creating new cards, I am always interested in checking out what others have come up with. I somewhat expected to be able to see some of them, but I couldn't find anything besides the few examples on the main page. Does it mean that it is necessary to register to see them? It's fine if that's the case. It's just that the Web site doesn't make it very clear.
Currently, no, but I think you’re right, it would probably be worthwhile for me to feature cards and let people display them.

For now, if you’re looking for interesting custom cards/sets, try http://planesculptors.net and http://magicmultiverse.net.
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby Arcanist » 10 Oct 2016, 19:48

proud wrote:Currently, no, but I think you’re right, it would probably be worthwhile for me to feature cards and let people display them.

For now, if you’re looking for interesting custom cards/sets, try http://planesculptors.net and http://magicmultiverse.net.
I was aware of the second site, but the last time I checked I couldn't find any card with images. It looks like there are some now. Maybe I missed them earlier. I didn't know about the first site though, so thanks for that. Too bad the resolution of the cards there is not as high as the ones on your Web site.
Arcanist

Postby proud » 11 Oct 2016, 04:41

Arcanist wrote:
proud wrote:Currently, no, but I think you’re right, it would probably be worthwhile for me to feature cards and let people display them.

I was aware of the second site, but the last time I checked I couldn't find any card with images. It looks like there are some now. Maybe I missed them earlier. I didn't know about the first site though, so thanks for that. Too bad the resolution of the cards there is not as high as the ones on your Web site.
I know :)

Yeah, the guy running planesculptors was having his users go through Google Drive, but they were hitting up against the bandwidth restrictions, and he didn’t have a good way to host the images. I offered to serve a mirror with his images up, and did with Aenyr (one of three really nice practically finished sets, the others being Dreamscape and Ankheret). I think he finally has an image hosting solution now.

I’m working on getting more of the custom card people to use my tool as I start implementing more and more of MSE’s features. (These guys really like MSE, even though it has some annoying rendering limitations.) However, if I get my importer working, I can just [let them] re-render their cards.

Oh! Also, there is a fairly active Discord channel here that people can totally stop by, if anyone is interested. It’s where people are working on their projects and setting up drafts. Very cool stuff, and a great way to play with the cards with other people. I am on there most of the time, as “ancestral”.
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby proud » 16 Oct 2016, 19:40

• Added Vehicles
  • Fixed rules text vertical centering
  • Fixed center alignment issues

"Sample Cards" | Open
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Postby proud » 20 Feb 2017, 19:54

I’ve put in steady improvements over the last several months.
More samples | Open
aka ancestral, mproud
MTG.Design
proud

Return to HQ Card Generator