It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:44

Text Size

The AI Punched Me Right In The Mouth & I Loved It!

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

The AI Punched Me Right In The Mouth & I Loved It!

Postby Bog Wraith » 03 Mar 2017, 16:05

We all know that the AI in all the different MTG games that have a computer player can't play as well as a human, yet. They also do things that make us cringe at times, like sending every creature to attack & keeping no blockers back when their life total has nearly ran out.

There are times however when the AI gets it right. Last night while I was playing in a match from an AER-AER-KLD draft tournament, and with the game well in hand with life totals at 20 - 8 in my favour, the AI cast a Monstrous Onslaught a turn after casting a Ridgescale Tusker that ended up a 3-1 for the AI on the board state. It changed the complexion of that game entirely, which the AI went on to win & forced a third game, which it also won in a very tight back & forth game.

The 3 game match was one of the best matches I've ever had against an AI opponent. When it cast the Monstrous Onslaught and wiped 3 of my creatures off the board, I simply smiled and then had a good laugh.

Forge is by far blessed with the best overall AI I have ever played, but like all the rest of the games that have this feature, winning & losing must be taken with a grain of salt as to not put too much stock in it as far as playing skill is concerned when playing against a human opponent.

What these apps are good for is learning how to play a deck(s) and in sequencing your play & strategies in whatever format you are playing against the computer. This is even more true when learning to play with the newest of cards/sets. It gets you ready for when you play against human opponents in person or on MTGO.

Plays by the AI like this however really add to the fun & enjoyment when you see what it is capable of doing, given the right circumstances. I look forward to the day when the AI will play at a level of not only a human opponent, but at a Pro Tour level. I am confident that this will happen.

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy this great program & marvel at things like this when they happen! 8)
Attachments
screenshot_2932.jpg
The AI Punches Me Right In The Mouth!
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Return to Forge