It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:31

Text Size

Non-english cards

Moderators: charmer, CCGHQ Admins

Non-english cards

Postby Goblin Hero » 03 Oct 2009, 11:59

Good news, guys. Now I have tool to grab info from gatherer. As a demonstration, Magic Album A15 includes ARB cards in all 9 languages. Check it out (especially Japan and Chinese cards).
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Non-english cards

Postby Goblin Hero » 08 Oct 2009, 16:02

Now MA includes all t2 cards in 9 languages.
P.S. Anybody from China or Japan? Should be ok, but I can't be sure because it's just a bunch of characters for me.
When you´re a goblin, you don´t have to step forward to be a hero -- everyone else just has to step back.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hunter60 » 09 Oct 2009, 15:43

great work but I have a suggestion : it will be
more simple store the cards ( in my case in Italian )if the name on the first column was the non-english name of the card.
I know that was a very hard work for you , one alternative will be the possibility to change the name
in the database or another way is that everyone who store the cards in another language have the possibility
to help you .
Thanks to all
hunter60

Postby Jonix » 10 Oct 2009, 11:54

hunter60 wrote:great work but I have a suggestion : it will be
more simple store the cards ( in my case in Italian )if the name on the first column was the non-english name of the card.
I know that was a very hard work for you , one alternative will be the possibility to change the name
in the database or another way is that everyone who store the cards in another language have the possibility
to help you .
Thanks to all
Actually there are 2 name columns in the database (or inventory) view. One of them is called "Name" and stores the localized name of the card as it is printed on a real card, and second column is called "Name (Oracle)" and stores the original name of the card in English.

By drag-n-dropping the columns, you may change the order of the columns. This way you can arrange your views, so that "Name" column (in your case Italian name) is the first column.

Hope that helps.
Jonix

Postby hunter60 » 10 Oct 2009, 12:23

thanks of your help Jonix ,now is that I was
looking for
hunter60

Postby Goblin Hero » 10 Oct 2009, 12:23

Jonix wrote:By drag-n-dropping the columns, you may change the order of the columns.
You can change columns size and order any way you like. If you right click on any column there'll be context menu with additional features.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SoldT » 23 Oct 2009, 09:39

Great job!!

I love this software... only a question: I'm a former player, and I'm from Spain. I've got a lot of antiques cards, mainly in Spanish, so I want to make a question:

In futures versions of the database, Will the non-english cards (the not-t2 cards) add to the database?

Thx in advance... and congratulations for this excellent work.
SoldT

Postby Goblin Hero » 23 Oct 2009, 10:04

SoldT wrote:In futures versions of the database, Will the non-english cards (the not-t2 cards) add to the database?
Sure. But do not expect it in near time.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Carnubak » 11 Feb 2010, 15:17

So, is there or will there be a way to create and use a custom database for the program?
I also want to classify a large number of older cards, many of which are not in English, and this could be a way to allow it without you having to do all the work of creating the data for non-English editions.
Carnubak

Postby Edmondo » 09 Jul 2010, 10:59

To be honest, I'd like to see non-english cards rather sooner than later. Is there a way I can help with that? I'm sure there are lots of people from non-english countries who have lots of non-english cards. I know I do. :)
So, I don't want to put any pressure on you, therefor offering my help (at least with german). I'm archiving all my cards right now, that's why I'm so impatient. Sorry :)
P.S.: MA is soooo great! Thank You! I'm so tired of MWS.

Ed.
Edmondo

Postby Goblin Hero » 09 Jul 2010, 16:01

Edmondo wrote:I'd like to see non-english cards rather sooner than later. Is there a way I can help with that?
I have some tools to grab info from gatherer.wizards.com Eventually I'll grab everything gatherer can provide. But some old sets are not on gatherer (4th edition for example). So I'm gladly accept any help with the info not on gatherer.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Edmondo » 10 Jul 2010, 08:02

I think I could get german names and rules text from magiccards.info! I suppose the rest would be the same as in english, right? Would that be okay? How do you need the data? As some kind of text file? I think I remember reading the term "OpenOffice Base" somewhere around here. I could familiarize myself with that, too, I guess. I have no idea how you "professionals" do it. :) Can't be that hard. And, finally, what editions are missing except 4th?

Ed.
Edmondo

Postby Goblin Hero » 10 Jul 2010, 12:02

Edmondo wrote:I think I could get german names and rules text from magiccards.info! I suppose the rest would be the same as in english, right? Would that be okay?
I need 5 columns: English name, localized name, localized type, localized text, localized flavor.
Edmondo wrote:How do you need the data? As some kind of text file?
The best possible variant is an MS access file. Example here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2333
MS Excel or CSV will be ok too.
Edmondo wrote:And, finally, what editions are missing except 4th?
All old sets. You can check it yourself.
Goblin Hero
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AsBest » 10 Jul 2010, 17:29

Edmondo wrote:I think I could get german names and rules text from magiccards.info!
this site is great for most of the cards info, except old sets. For english language there is no problem to type it in manually, but non-eng versions have some specific symbols and this is a kind of problem :)
AsBest
HQ Team Member

Postby Edmondo » 12 Jul 2010, 08:05

Do you mean something like this? Ä Ö Ü ß ?

4th Edition example:
http://www.magiccards.info/query?q=e%3A ... rd&s=cname
I think this should be sufficient. I imagine to copy/paste the info into the access file. Will that do?
Ed.

P.S.: I just discovered that I can only save the database as .odb (OpenOffice). Hope that's not a problem.
Edmondo

Next

Return to Magic Album