It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:35

Text Size

XMage Issue - Missing Profile and/or Bad Java?

by BetaSteward

Moderators: North, BetaSteward, noxx, jeffwadsworth, JayDi, TheElk801, LevelX, CCGHQ Admins

XMage Issue - Missing Profile and/or Bad Java?

Postby Khyrberos » 23 May 2017, 08:10

Good evening folks.

I was recently turned on to XMage by a friend, and I've spent the last week or so super-excited about drafting for free multiple times a day. It's been fun, though I'm pretty amateur at it.

Ran into a problem today, though, after 3 straight Limited matches. I quit all the way out of the client, leaving only the launcher open. On a whim, I pressed the button to re-form the client, and made it as far as that opening page before it said "Can not connect".

It was having trouble connecting, claiming my username/password was incorrect. After some painstaking triple-checking, I found that they were both correct. I opted to "Forgot Password" to have them send a try to my e-mail inbox... And "there is no user associated with that e-mail in our records".

So apparently it's lost not only my username & password, but my entire profile as well (which defies logic, since the Client seems to indicate that it knows I've "played 9 Games").

But that's not all. So I move to the launcher, try to 'reset' it by have it force an update. It does, I try again, and now it cannot even open up the Client! Error message reads:
"Error: could not open `C:\Users\<username>\Documents\GAMES\XMage\java\jre1.8.0_102\lib\amd64\jvm.cfg' "
This repeats no matter how many times I force another update. The java folder appears to have downloaded correctly and in the same place... But the Xmage program just cannot start the client.

~~

So that's it. Short of a full re-installation/restart (avoiding that because of how long it took to get the images & such), I've tried & re-tried almost everything I can think of. It seems my user-profile itself has gone missing, and/or something with the Java has messed up.

(System: Windows 7, 64-bit, desktop, etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Khyrberos

Re: XMage Issue - Missing Profile and/or Bad Java?

Postby escplan9 » 23 May 2017, 12:21

About the java Error you're getting now: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/905 ... of-jvm-cfg .

However, it may just be easier to follow the troubleshooting guide from our subreddit for cleanly uninstalling and reinstalling Java: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1n0u_ ... JwMWM/view - see the section Installation of fresh Java version (solving problems with Java on your PC)

You will not lose any of your images etc by doing this.

About the server not recognizing your username/password, a few things. A couple servers were down yesterday temporarily. Additionally, make sure you selected the correct server.
escplan9

Re: XMage Issue - Missing Profile and/or Bad Java?

Postby Khyrberos » 25 May 2017, 16:31

Thank you very much for your reply.

I read a bit about that Java issue, but I'm not sure I'm savvy enough to really make sense of it.

I attempted to follow the guide, but had some issues due in part to the... struggling English. Is there anyone available to rewrite that document, perchance? It definitely looks like something someone has Translated into being...

Anyway, I followed the directions (fresh download of the .jar, uninstall & fresh re-install of latest version of Java from Oracle website). I then opened the .jar, but the 'Client' & 'Server' buttons are grayed out.

Clicked 'Update' (and/or 'Check Version') and it says "looks like this is your first time; downloading our own special Java & then the updated XMage". It does this (I think? no progress on progress bar, weird text in black log screen), but nothing has changed with the 'Client' or 'Server' buttons. Clicking 'Update'/'Check Version' does the same thing, again & again. Cannot seem to find the Java I downloaded (or it's own Java, or something)?

~~~

HOWEVER, I found a solution; by poking around in the files contained in the folder where I first opened the .jar for the first time), I found a handful of files:
xmage->startMageWin7.bat
xmage->mage-client->startClientWin7.bat

Clicking on either of these has worked to successfully bring up the XMage client application (I don't care about making a Server at this point; just want to play the game! : P). Hope this helps someone. (though I have no idea the repercussions of doing it this way; will this work long-term?)
Khyrberos

Return to XMage